Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690586
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Holding Miniatures During Painting  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
Re: Holding Miniatures During Painting
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »
I use an hemostatic forceps, (a surgical tool) very useful to firmly hold unbased slotta minis.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hemostatic_forceps_01.jpg

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:25 AM »
For more detailed or oddly sized figures I will mount them on pill bottle (donated by my wife) or a wine cork (donated by me). Usually though I use the aforementioned Kung-fu death grip.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »
Since I usually paint before basing and use the method of trimming slotta tabs down to pegs under the feet instead of pinning, I hold the figure by clamping the pegs in a clip of some kind. I have forceps like Donpimpom uses, and I have a mini-vise like Snitchy's (though I think mine is a crap knockoff as the threads for opening/closing it are reversed, which is annoying), but IMO the best are bag clips (like for holding chip/crisp bags closed).

In circumstances where I'm painting after basing, I use the blu-tack method. Though instead of a bottle I have a little 2" stone cube I got at a home decorating store long ago. It feels a lot more secure & stable in the hand than a bottle or dowel, and I can move it around in my grip a lot more freely without risk of a finger accidentally touching the mini, or of dropping it.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »
I glue mine with a drop of Superglue to aerosol can lids. Once the figure is painted and varnished it will pop off by gently pressing on the underneath of the lid.

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
I tend to base and texture the base first then paint holding the base (either washers/MDF or coins)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
I am with Framson on this. In essence I am a very lazy painter and more prepping = less painting.

I value getting stuck in over neat and tidy. The price I pay is that I occasionally have to repaint a hat or a weapon.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:39 AM »
I mostly use 25mm dowel cut to maybe 60mm length.  A drop of superglue can often be useful to hold the figures although I usually use blu-tac.
This, but I use slightly longer sections and double sided foam tape to hold the fig. I also made a few stands to hold the dowel and fig while its drying or sitting on my paintbench. Stands hold 5 minis a piece and I only have three, so I have to finish models before starting new ones. Its a great motivator.   

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 03:54:56 AM »
My method is really simple. I take scrap card stock use white or PVC glue to glue the figure to that. If I'm painting a batch of them, I'll make notes on the card about colors and such that I plan to use. When I'm done, they pop right off. Then I attach them to their bases.

Mike Demana

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 04:43:52 AM »
My method is similar to Blue's, dowel of appropriate thickness cut to length and Blu-Tac to hold the figures, with the addition of a block with suitably drilled holes to prevent them being knocked over.

With all my newer bases having embedded rare earth magnets, a metal disk on the end means no more Blu-Tac.

:D

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »
I just glue them to a cardboard base with epoxy which is then glued with PVA to a cork- From the Franceso Gonzaga II Crossing the River Taro vignette I finished lately:

Here's a link to the finished item:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65734.0

And the mini's during painting: