Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a collaborative campaign? - Map update P.6  (Read 15624 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
I find myself marooned some distance from my minis, paints, usual gaming buddies, piles of crap laughingly referred to as 'terrain', in fact anything gaming-related at all - except LAF and the net in general of course.

Anyhoo, I was thinking about the Atlantis campaign that we ran over on the VSF board a few years ago and wondering if anyone would be interested in a Fantasy version.

The idea would be that you'd take your usual fantasy games and feed them into a larger framework; so the encounter between some Orcs and some Dwarves that you have with your mate is no longer a one-off but part of a wider narrative. It could even be possible, if you play campaign games anyway, to integrate your campaign into the wider story.

Anyone interested, or is this a daft idea caused by glue-withdrawal and not enough dice-rolling? Only you can decide...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:46:56 AM by Red Orc »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Would anyone be interested in a collaborative campaign?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
I would be!!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
If I wasn't in the midst of packing stuff up and getting ready to move, I'd happily have a crack at it with my dark age fantasy stuff :)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
You could join in later ;)

Guess we will not start that soon.. We've to find a good background stroy first..

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
Sounds good to me :)
If it helps work out a back story my armies will be Romano-British (could be some sort of civilised city state?) and Pagan saxons (definitely good contenders as hairy barbarians) with giants, druids, ghostly celts, dragons and dryads/tree spirits added for mythical flavour. I've also got plans (and some figures) for dwarves and Alfar (although definitely of the 'little people' variety, and owing more to the Brownies from Willow than Tolkien!)...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
I planning to do a Dryad army and one other..

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »
Well, yeah - I don't think it's feasible to start upon the instant.

In general, I think a good way to proceed would be to find out if there's interest, and if so, what sort of armies people are going to want to play. Hopefully this will suggest some basic factions and geography; and we can roughly work it out from there.

So, for example, VLD's forces could be listed as: 1-civilised Humans; 2-barbarian Humans; 3-Magical Forest Dwellers; 4-Dwarves; 5-More Magical Forest Dwellers. Although maybe his 'Alfar' (if they're like the Nelwyn from Willow) could be Hobbits, whose to say?

Anyway that suggests that where VLD is going to be fighting there at least 4 zones - first, the city-states or empire or whatever (like Byzantium or Gondor); second, a human barbarian zone; thirdly some kind of primeval forest and fourth some mountains (as that's where Dwarves are wont to hang out, but of course these Dwarves could be sailors or desert dwellers or anything, I don't know).

But instantly the forces start to suggest possibilities in terms of 'plot'. Perhaps it's a simple case of invading humans (Civic Empire plus barbarian auxiliaries) versus the 'Fair Folk' - all the magical creatures united to defend their mountainous, forested homeland. Or maybe the Dwarves, in alliance with the Civic Empire (with whom they have extensive trading links) are muscling in on the territory of the Free Barbarian Nations, who call on their supernatural allies (dryads and giants and whatnot) to help with the resistance. Or perhaps the Dwarves and the Human barbarians are part of a wave of northern invaders who are attacking both the settled lands of the Civic Empire and the peaceful forest realm of the Fair Folk.

So, any forces can potentially be paired or opposed; if we do a fairly simple comparison of who's got what it should be possible to come up with a set of allies and enemies; and also it should suggest geography along the lines of what I outlined for VLD's forces.

Does that sound do-able?

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
  • Student of Time, Space & Cake
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
Not to ruin the fun, but as a company we would be interested in getting behind something like this. We would be open to any consideration. Also, if that is too much like "crashing the party" then it was not intended and carry on.

" width="450" height="75" border="0

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
Mitchelxen, I don't see any problems..

Red Orc, great! I was thinking about a scenario like the Atlantis one (a few teams invading an island) so the teams would be against each others and against the natives, but your ideas seem better to me.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
Aye - the ideas you've suggested seem good to me!

Any or all of the plots are achievable - as my dwarves are unpainted and low in numbers, I'd be tempted to use them as auxiliaries for another power (unless of course we get another participant with a dwarf army!). I'd also be tempted just to roll the Alfar in with the forest folks, it might work better with the bronze-age savage feel I've been trying to aim for. although I've only got 4 dryads painted, I do have another 8 or so to finish, and they shouldn't take long to paint. I also have assorted cavemen in the painting que who could probably also fill out the ranks of forrest folk...

As an aside, there are pictures of some of my stuff in this blog post: http://xanderswargamingmusings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/painting-update-28mm-arthurians-and.html

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
So we've pretty much forrest folk.. how about an island (let's call it Utopia for now) where forrest folk lives. But several nations/races like to invade Utopia and exploit the minerals which can be found there..?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
That would work for me. Given my large selection of gohstly celts: I guess there was once an ancient tribe which lived on the island, in harmony with the nature forrest folk, but who died out many years ago. Now the island is threatened, they have returned from the ghost lands to do battle alongside their ancient allies...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Now that sounds like a plan!!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »
(Looks at 100's of Dwarf figures - plus 'rebel' elves/gnomes/halflings and "Freedom Forces Coalition" of Goblins - and sighs...)

Really don't have the time but it does sound like fun.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
I'd be interested. Been wanting a good fantasy scrap for a while now...  ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper