Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:05:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Multibases for gaming  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
Multibases for gaming
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:02:57 PM »
I had a game of Back of Beyond recently and played a force of about 35 figures, a rather small game. This included 3 units of 10 models each, all based individually. Playing these games it mostly sucks to move these units so I usually take the figures and move them to their new position without taking to much care on where they stand or how the facing is.
Thinking about this I came to multibases for skirmishgame units. You can place around 3 figures on these huge (50mm?) round GW bases, add some szenerie and make a nice base. That way a unit has 3-4 bases and would be much more comfortable to move on the table. I suppose it would be good for the paintjobs also since less handling is involved. Downside is you need to track casualties but that shouldn't be that difficult.
The other downside is you can't use these figures for small skirmishes anymore.
Characters and other indivuduals would still be based as singles of course.

What's your oppinions on multibases?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:18:50 PM »
Multibases are something for WH Ancient. I would never put my BoB figs on multibases. Too inflexible. Also due to make fotos with different sceneries and so on. And perhaps you would have troubles to put such huge multibases into a specific terrain (wood, city etc.)

Maybe something like a regiment terrain base with some gaps for round bases?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:36:03 PM »
The round GW plastic bases that are available in bags come in 40mm diameter (tapered, 3.5mm thick) and 60mm (flat, some 1.2mm thick). The latter would look really good for multibases: I used them to mount a BAR team (each figure on single bases) years ago.

I like multibases if the individual figures remain removable for casualties, and for use in smaller-scale games.

Of course, there can be problems with games that use a lot of templates for effects rather than "roll x hits against the target unit", but that´s rules lawyerism. :D I´m thinking about using CDs as multibases for the SCW miniatures, but those won´t work in rocky terrain, of course... :D

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:50:14 PM »
I think they also look superior:
http://www.davidimrie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/PICT0028.jpg
Love this, Dave is a master when it come to basing anyways though.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
Very nice, but that´s the kind of multibase I wouldn´t want for post-1900 games... too fixed for my liking. But the style is great, and the rubble superbly executed.

Offline Chris Steadman

• Librarian
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:29 PM »
Get yourself a circle saw set. These fit in a power drill. I use one to drill several 25mm holes in a piece of mdf or ply. Glue a sheet of plastic, the same size and shape, on the bottom and you have a movement tray. Embellished in the same style as the figure bases, they look great on teh table top - and you can take off casulaties. Not my idea, mind. I see that some folk are selling these to the hobby at ludicous prices.

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 02:51:50 PM »
I like the way multi-based figures look (each base is like a mini diarama!) but I don't like gaming with them.
I don't even multi-base figures for mass-combat games, never mind skirmish games.

Magnetic movement trays are your friend!  :lol:
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 01:02:29 AM »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »
I´ve been thinking about doing some 1/60th/"true 25" Heavy Gear games, in which I´d use three-figure, 50mm bases to represent infantry units... either platoons or fireteams. I´d tend towards the latter, but I´m unsure if that would actually work using the standard rules...

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »
I start to like the idea in the meantime. there are hardly any other bases than GW 60mm available though unless you are prepared to spend a serious amount of money on them. I've just cut a testbase from 2mm plasticard which is some work but the result is round enough. 2mm ist already pretty thick but can be used to move the bases so you don't even need to touch the figures which is a pleasing side effect.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »
Otherwise, maybe check your local DIY mart for steel washers of the size? Pretty steep pricing, to an extent that GW plastic bases are actually cheaper, but they´d work with magnets...

I´ve been using circle-cutters for a decade now, and thinking of the work, I´d actually shell out the 6 Euros for the bag of GW bases (some twenty or so inside?).

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »
GW only flat GW bases are 60mm AFAIK, which is pretty big. Washers in 50mm are available but the are rather thick and weight a lot. I don't mind a little cutting and sanding since the painting does take some time anyways.
50mm is pretty nice I think, you can 2,3 or 4 models on them. 5.5mm is nice for 2 cavalery.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:26:15 PM »
Yes, I know the thick washer problem - I searched three DIYs before I found 50mm washers only 1 mm thick. But I´m unsure whether 60mm is too big - it´s only 5mm more to each side, and those Russians in the pic above are almost certainly based on 60mm bases.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »
The Russians are based 60mm GW. It's not the 5mm each side, it's the surface that's considerably larger. It's a matter of taste only, 60mm does also work.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Multibases for gaming
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 08:03:40 PM »
Yup, I guess it boils down to personal taste. I may of course be prejudiced, since I mainly used the 50s for WW2 and similar weapons teams, whereas the 60s came in handy for larger robots.

I´d also think it´d be easier to place single-based figures on 25mm bases on a 60mm, and hide the rims...