Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:58:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689640
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Pulp Alley  (Read 1518 times)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
First game of Pulp Alley
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
We played our first game of this tonight, two teams of a leader, sidekick and three allies playing the smash and grab scenario. We used some pre-painted star wars figures as stand ins. I set up a jungle table with a pyramid style temple in the centre. All the plot points were a droid. I think we got some rules wrong or missed them as we went along but all part of the learning process.
Everyone had fun - I had a mate I used to roleplay with who hadn't done anything for years on one team and my mate Stu (owner of SLAP Miniatures - he does a couple of pulpy characters - one of whom looks like he might like spinach). I GM'd it.
 Everyone had great fun,with a few comic moments - which may have been down to us getting rules wrong admittedly. However, 3 of my mate Mark's followers all tried to activate the same plot point, it took four turns to find the on switch of one of the droids (before someone managed to add to their 1 success out of only two needed), given we were all drinking a fair bit it was a fun competition to see who could come up with the best reason for the constant failures  ;D
 The main thing of the night was we all enjoyed the game, the fortune cards were a very much enjoyed mechanism and we're all going to play a lot more games of it (and learn the rules properly  ;))

Big thanks to Dave and Mila for a great game  :-*

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: First game of Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:52:42 AM »
I think one of the things we got wrong was everyone went straight for plot points - do they need to spot them? Also, when being shot at, if you choose not to dodge and use your own shoot dice, can the attacker still take hits (depending on the dice)? Also, if a perilous area is large, does a character draw a card each time they move through it, or just the first time they enter it? (We made the whole temple perilous, and as the major plot point was at the top we had both leaders climbing up or rushing up the steps, but moving at half rate it took a couple of turns each to reach the top. Drinking may,possibly, have impaired our ability to read the rules. Maybe.  ::)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
I think one of the things we got wrong was everyone went straight for plot points - do they need to spot them? Also, when being shot at, if you choose not to dodge and use your own shoot dice, can the attacker still take hits (depending on the dice)? Also, if a perilous area is large, does a character draw a card each time they move through it, or just the first time they enter it? (We made the whole temple perilous, and as the major plot point was at the top we had both leaders climbing up or rushing up the steps, but moving at half rate it took a couple of turns each to reach the top. Drinking may,possibly, have impaired our ability to read the rules. Maybe.  ::)

So happy to read that you all had a good time. THATS far more important than getting the rules right.  lol lol lol

But since you ask...

Yes, the target of a shooting attack also has the option to return fire (counter-attack). And their successes may injure the enemy. In this case the attacker would have control of the matching/cancelling.

Yes, when dealing with large perilous areas a character may also have to deal with a peril every turn they activate/move through the same perilous area. You may want to limit the perilous areas to no move than 6" in diameter, or provide a "clear path" to move through if it's making the scenario too difficult to complete.

Yes, it's okay to go straight after the plot points. Our turn limit is based on a breakneck pulp pace, so it's go, go, go!

THANKS for posting!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:25:43 AM »
Sounds like you had a great evening, beer and Pulp Alley. What else does a gamer need?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
Thanks for confirming that David - yes we had a great time playing it. I'll try and take some pics of the board later as it's still set up.

Lord Snapcase - indeed, nothing else was needed  :D