Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - One Stop Shopping at the Holocostco!  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Pulp Alley - One Stop Shopping at the Holocostco!
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
So, last month on Memorial Weekend,  I went to one of the local (sorta) historical minis conventions, and ran Pulp Alley in my HoloCostco.  Some of you may note that I have posted pictures of a game using this same terrain a few months ago when I ran the test session for friends of mine.  The game went well, except that, for some reason, one of my youngest players decided he was bored after refusing to move his models for two turns. :/ I did my best to get him engaged, but he was having none of it, while another player was a handful enough that I felt guilty about neglecting the other two players.

It was 4 leagues, two Wastelander family groups, a Raider mob, and a Vault Team.  The layout was:

I started each group in corners, and they were trying to get into the box store and acquire what they could.  Nuka Cola caps were plot points, and all triggers were traps or creatures of some kind, and if they failed the challenge, I left the creature alive on the board with d8 stats equal to the challenge rating (i.e., a 3 dice challenge failed left the Cazador with 3d8 in all fighting stats alive and attacking).  Worked fairly well.  I also let them play it out without a time limit, so we went 17 turns total in 3 1/2 hours.

The starting positions.

And I would have posted this sooner, but I had lost my photo editing program from 15 years ago when I bought a new computer, and it took me this long to find one I liked.

Knowing the goals, everyone (except Luke, who checked out as soon as I started having people roll dice, which led to the vicious raiders standing in the forest all game) started going for the caps.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley - One Stop Shopping at the Holocostco!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
The first action was the Vault Dwellers disturbing a gecko in a Winnebago.

While the Smith family (Gramps, Granny, and Jane) found a bark scorpion.

The Griffin family (Peter, Lois, Chris and Meg) went in through the open loading bay.

Everywhere a Smith went, scorpions appeared.

Whereas Vault blue seems to attract Geckos.

(And I actually had a chart drawn up to randomly determine creatures based on the challenge that appeared...didn't feel random, though.)

In the loading dock, a Ghoul was snoozing, and not happy about being awakened...

And another was just inside the door in the pharmacy.

Most of the challenges were beaten by the players - I had built each league out of either 3 sidekicks, or two sidekicks and two followers in the case of the Griffins.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »
I found another person who had asked if I had room for a player earlier in the night to take Luke's place, and he immediately moved to the nearest cap...and disturbed a sleeping Yao Guai...

While a Smith finally did not find a scorpion...

And the Vault leader decides to pick a fight - which Grampa Smith ended with his shotgun.

And Jane defeated the Cazador, only to have to turn around and punch a little boy carrying a chainsaw.

His mother exacted revenge, and then triggered another Gecko.

And the Vault Dwellers charged in and immediately found a Deathclaw in some boxes, and utterly failed in the challenge after he had earlier been shot, leaving the Smith elders to deal with it.

Which Jane, having successfully recovered, and her grandparents blasted into oblivion.

And quite promptly left with their goods  (they had 8 of the 12 plot points at this point)

And the last vault dweller fled to the roof from the Griffins.

We ended here, as the game was definitively the Smiths, with the raiders having been out of the game for most of it, and then slaughtered by a Yao Guai (the replacement player rolled some of the worst rolls of the night), and the Vault Dwellers had played aggressively, only to get ganged up on, while the Griffins did okay, but got both of the Red Herrings I had in the deck (one was for the Cazador)...

All in all, 3 out of 4 had a blast.  I can call it a success.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
Love it!
Makes me want to go to Enfilade next year. I keep putting it off as our annual show is just a month before that, but that's a poor excuse now that I know I could be playing something as cool as this!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
great stuff. I half expected an Aztec temple at the back...
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
great stuff. I half expected an Aztec temple at the back...

Great-looking game! Could you remember the name of that movie as I have been searching for the title since a while now!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Great-looking game! Could you remember the name of that movie as I have been searching for the title since a while now!
From Dusk Till Dawn

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:20:01 AM »
This one of the finest game tables I've ever seen!!  Bravo!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:57 PM »
Awesome!  That looks so kick-ass!  :-* :-* :-*