Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SW Showdown for Supers, first draft rules.  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
SW Showdown for Supers, first draft rules.
« on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
I’ve been playing around with the Showdown rules and the Super Companion 2nd edition to figure out a way of conferring superheroes into the setting. I have used my original heroes Tyger and Gargoyle to test those out and I have a first draft here. Some of the rules I’ve borrowed from another guy’s version and I’m grateful for that input.

To build a superhero you do it in four stages, Attributes, Skills, Powers & Edges and Finishing Touches. To start with select ONE of the following Attribute Options, each Attribute start at D4.

8 Attribute points and 1 edge
7 Attribute points and 2 edges
7 Attribute points, 1 edge and Super Karma
6 Attribute points and 3 edges
6 Attribute points, 2 edges and Super Karma
5 Attribute points and 4 edges
5 Attribute points, 3 edges and Super Karma

Next, you get 10 Skill Points to apply to Skills that would make sense to you, no freebies,  so to get a D4 in a Skill you have to pay 1 point, also it cost 2 points for each die above the controlling Attribute for the Skill. Worth noting, if you buy Super Skill you just apply the bonus straight up, never mind how low your Attribute in the Skill actually is.

In a Street Campaign you get 30 Power Points and in a Colour Campaign 45, +5 Power Points (+10 in a Four Colour Campaign) if you have Super Karma.

Finally, calculate the secondary attributes (Pace, Parry and Toughness). There are two exceptions to the normal rules.
Parry= Agility/2 +2 instead of Fighting.
If the hero hasn’t purchased any of the Powers Armour or Toughness, they have a ballistic suit, providing Armour 2 (4 against bullets but no other Ranged Attacks) and protection against AP 4.

Below is a first draft of the superhero Tyger that I have used in a couple of solo games with different systems, maybe Showdown will prove to be the one that I like the best?

Cassius Wulf fled Crow City after being framed for a murder he didn’t commit, he travelled the world extensively and found the best teachers to prepare him for one day come back and clean his name. He is a master in many fighting arts , he has learned the mystic arts of Dim Mak and he has a Zen sense that makes him almost impossible to catch unawares. A few months ago he returned to Crow City and found his old friend Bruce Kent, a mild-mannered antiquarian. Little did he know that Bruce Kent also is the fearsome Gargoyle and together they have made an enemy out of the resurrected Boss Marconi, the uncrowned crime boss of Crow City who by all accounts should rest six feet under!!!

Tyger

Pace: 8” (D10 running)   Parry: 13 (-2 to hit) Toughness: 5 (7/ 9 vs bullets and AP4)
Strength D6
Agility D12      SKILLS                 EDGES
Smarts D6      Fighting D12         Fleet Footed (Pace 8, Run +1D10)
Spirit D8         Notice   D6
Vigour D6      Stealth D8

POWERS   Cost   Range   Damage   Effects
Dim Mak   4   Touch    None   Strong, Spirit -2 or be Incapacitated.
Hard Style 8   Melee   Str+2D6 Multi-Attacks, 4 AP.
Swift Moving 2   2”/ 4”   None   Leaping, Bounding
Soft Style 5   Melee   None   Parry +5
Zen Mind   5   None   Negate obscuring penalties but not cover. No Gang Up
Uncanny Ref. 4   None   Attack -2 if aware of the incoming attack.
Super Ability 2      None      Spirit +1
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:03:43 PM by Legionnaire »
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: SW Showdown for Supers, first draft rules.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
And the other half of the Crow City Defenders: Gargoyle!

Bruce Kent was a mild mannered antiquarian with an interest in the occult, during an excavation in France he came upon an ancient statuette of a grotesque, behorned and winged monster. As he touched it, an ancient Evil assaulted his mind and tried to make Bruce do his awful biddings. But Bruce was made out of sterner stuff, in a desperate action he uttered an old incantation that trapped the evil spirit inside him. Now, Bruce can call upon the Gargoyle and gain fantastic powers to defend Crow City, but he knows there's a terrible price to pay. That ancient Evil is biding its time until it can find the crack in Bruce's soul armour and once again be free.

NB: When Bruce is not Gargoyle, he's a normal human being and has got D6 in all stats excepts Smarts D8 and really only have Knowledge D8.

Pace: 6 (24 in flight) Parry: 6 Toughness 17
Strength D10
Agility D8
Smarts D8
Spirit D6
Vigour: D10

DISADVANTAGE
Supernatural Change (Gimmick)

SKILLS
Knowledge (Occult) D8
Shooting D8
Intimidate D8
Fighting D6

EDGES
Strong Willed

Powers
Flight 8 Pace x2
Super Strength 6 Able to lift a car and +6 damage in melee.
Toughness 8 Stony skin
Sonic Scream 5 3D6 AP 4
Super Skill 1 point in Intimidation
Super Attribute +3 Vigour
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:59:30 PM by Legionnaire »