Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP: Making something usable from something that looks 'orrible.  (Read 4794 times)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
I really don't know if this is the place to post this. (Please Moderator re-post if not)

I found these Soft to Hard Plastic posable robots for £1 each and decided to have a bash at making them into wargames miniatures.

This is what you start with.

I'll add pictures as it develops.

Package Front

Package Back showing others in range. (Note garish colouring!)

Model out of packaging front detail.

Model back detail.

Now these pop apart and consist of both soft and hard plastic. I tend to pose them approximately then drip thin superglue around the joints. Fill in the holes if you like, (I do so to the backs of the shoulder rocket pods on this model) then undercoat with Black spray paint. (You could wash the parts if you like in detergent. I haven't found it necessary for the Brass finish I like)

The Models stand about 10cm/4" from base of foot to top of shoulder launcher.

As this one progresses I'll update. It is mainly just a paint job on the pictured miniature, but the models lend themselves quite well to kit bashing on extras.

More later.

Malc

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
Re: WIP: Making something usable from something that looks 'orrible.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
Just make sure the paint sticks to the soft plastic and actually dries.  Some cheap soft plastics are heavy on the plasticizers and release them over time, screwing your paint job.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Just make sure the paint sticks to the soft plastic and actually dries.  Some cheap soft plastics are heavy on the plasticizers and release them over time, screwing your paint job.

Thanks for pointing that out. One of my friends mentioned it to me when I did my first one of these. I've kept an eye on them all for cracks in the paintwork and haven't spotted any yet. (Fingers are still crossed they won't)

But the ones I have painted have been being used for months now and show no signs. The paints are definitely dry as I've added layers on top, Weathering and panelling colours to no ill effect. (Except maybe the style!)

Still I will keep an eye on them.

Cheers.

This is one that's been painted for a couple of months. Just started weathering. Excuse the piccy it's using my Laptop's camera.

Malc

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »
I think they look quite good for only £1 each!

How big are they?
Are they about the same size as this one?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
I think you've made something pretty cool out of something horrible really - I like the paintjob a lot.

Where did you find them?

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »
How big are they?
Are they about the same size as this one?
Turno-Ben

Looking at your piccie I'd say comparable in height, (10cm or 4" foot to Missile Launcher top)

Not as lean as your Mecha though. (Very Nice) I'm not familiar with your large Mecha model though?
It has a Tau or Heavy Gear look to it. But I'm probably wrong.

Where did you find them?
Red-Orc

This one I found in a Birmingham shop (UK) Pound Palace! But they were available at about £1.50 each, less is you buy in bulk from a company called http://www.kandytoys.co.uk. It looks like now though you can only buy them in 24's as a company.

So... You'll just have to keep an eye open around some of the cheapo shops. They tend to be on Market stall toy shops and Newsagents as well if they have a cheap toy section. (UK that is)

I've been kindaa lucky finding as many as I have for £1. I have got about 12.

Malc

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
Thanks - not aware of Pound Palace, seems to just be Birmingham and Manchester (if indeed they're the same company). I'll keep an eye out though.

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
Turno-Ben

Looking at your piccie I'd say comparable in height, (10cm or 4" foot to Missile Launcher top)

Not as lean as your Mecha though. (Very Nice) I'm not familiar with your large Mecha model though?
It has a Tau or Heavy Gear look to it. But I'm probably wrong.

I also don't know where it comes from! :?
Bought two of them at the Tactica for 1€ each and thought I could use some more, even better if they'd come cheap!

Will check your link!

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Sorry Turbo-Ben. I just spotted the typo. I even went back twice when I typed it to answer both questions in one go.

Progressive Myopia taking its' effects. (And bad typing!)

It does look like the company only deals with bulk orders or trade now! I did order 3 for myself along with some of their combat soldier packs. (For the Vehicles Jeeps and Trucks 'cos they worked out incredibly cheap at the time) But it looks like they have worked out that this may not be cost effective.

Malc

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
Good work MalcyB! You really are the saviour of rubbish toys.

Show 'em some more of your stuff that looks like steam punk gold but started out as pound shop bargains.

J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Code: [Select]
Good work MalcyB! You really are the saviour of rubbish toys.

Show 'em some more of your stuff that looks like steam punk gold but started out as pound shop bargains.

J

In answer to Mr Mystic S here we go! Again sorry about the laptop camera. I'm hoping that a week this Saturday my friends Wife will be taking loads o' piccies for me! Some of these may be included.

Showing the Back of the Original Model in this thread with filled missile launchers. (Just to prove that I am moving on with it!

One of my CyberTriceratops found in Poundland a while ago and Brassed up! Basti figure for comparison. (Wargods)

Again Poundland Convertor Beasts Dragon (left as Dragon) Wings added from another convertor beast and just in Brass at the moment.

Same model as above more of a paintjob but no wings added to this one.

Another Convertor Beast left in animal mode with Artillery pieces added to the shoulders. A Grand Pouncer as I call it. They have little brothers. Look Below!

This is the little brother of the one above note the Basti fig for size comparison. These little guys came in the same pack as the Dragons pictured above in Poundland. (50p each in effect)

Grand Pouncer front quarter style view. The bigger one again.

Just some of the guys I've worked on and am still having a go at. As and when I think of something or feel like it.

They are all parts of my Atlantean Victoriana/Pulp army. (It's massive!)

Malc

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
Here is the next phase after undercoating the miniature black. (I used poundland black undercoat fairly liberally and then allowed to dry totally, before brushing black primer acrylic onto any uncovered areas)

Then I've used Game Colour Tinny Tin 72060 as the first metal coat in a wet sort of dry-brush. Next will be Game Colour Brassy Brass followed by Model Colour Brass all by Vallejo paints. I find the two Brass coats give a pleasing semi polished look if you want to leave it at that stage. But if you want to weather and give the look of 1000's of years of usage/storage then Game Colour Wash paints Sepia Shade and GW's Citadel Technical Nihilakh Oxide can be employed.

The Finished model (Or very nearly) sometime after next Saturday! Depending on what happens?

Front with Tinny Tin Brushing.

Back with Tinny Tin Brushing.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
Nice stuff so far, I have the same robot as turbo Ben, I got it from Thailand 5 years or so ago, can't remember what they were called but I had a whole bunch of them,

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
Again this is a very nice mecha. I've done a quick scan of mecha images toys/models/miniatures and though I can see the odd "almost" lookalike to these, I can't see a definite match. (Still would like to know what they are?)

They wouldn't fit into the "feel" of my Atlantean army. But they make great Labor like infantry support for 28-32mm post modern sci-fi figures.

Not as if you guys hadn't already figured that though!

Nice find! :)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
Here's one photo my friend took for me on Saturday, with his camera. His Wife the Professional photog took in excess of 40+ piccies of the minis I took with me including this Automaton. When she sends me the processed images I'll upload more.

Normal Picture.

Strange effect my mates camera can do. I kinda like it?

More soon. I hope you're liking it. Comments please advice appreciated.