Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690764
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WIP: Making something usable from something that looks 'orrible.  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: WIP: Making something usable from something that looks 'orrible.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
Wow, you could make your own manga comic staring your own minis with that (though each character would have pretty limited poses I guess!)

The mecha looks great. Except for the odd obvious mould-line (don't let Commander Vyper see, he'll not be happy). I like the bronze on this one but think the blue detailing (unit markings, I guess) on the other one added a better contrast. Unless of course your unit paint-scheme is basically bronze, but one mecha has blue markings, one yellow, one red etc. Personally, I'd probably adopt some scheme like 'heavy weapons mechas' with blue trim (and use perpendicular bars like this

I-
I
I

for '1'

I-
I-
I

for '2', etc)

then have red or maybe dark green for 'close combat mechas' if you intend on having such. Something that provides more contrast than yellow, anyway. Maybe even white? The white on the one here looks like it might be a good enough contrast.

Having said all that, it is only a very minor quibble. You've managed to make some pieces of cheap crap look blinkin' awesome!

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
The mecha looks great. Except for the odd obvious mould-line (don't let Commander Vyper see, he'll not be happy). I like the bronze on this one but think the blue detailing (unit markings, I guess) on the other one added a better contrast. Unless of course your unit paint-scheme is basically bronze, but one mecha has blue markings, one yellow, one red etc. Personally, I'd probably adopt some scheme like 'heavy weapons mechas' with blue trim (and use perpendicular bars like this

Funny you should mention the colours and the mould lines?

The colours are as you mention are to identify specific models as I have three now in the exact schemes you mention. (Of this type that is) As for the mould lines. Yeah! I keep having these, "Oh! C£4P!" moments. When I notice that I haven't trimmed a part properly! (I put it down to my enthusiasm to finish a model and get it into play!) That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
 :D

Thanks for the kind words though. And, I have been thinking about other unit designation type things like your perpendicular bars. But my free hand brush lettering is rubbish! I've been thinking about decals. Just got to find some that will fit into the Atlantean script.

Ta!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
...I put it down to my enthusiasm to finish a model and get it into play!...

That's the thing really isn't it? I tell anyone that will listen (especially if they're criticising my rather shoddy painting and modelling skills) that these things are toys for playing with rather than works of art. I lack the skill to make things look great, so I sometimes lack the confidence to try my hand at remodelling or doing a decent paintjob, and as a result my loft is crammed with things that I'm slightly scared of ruining so they just live up there for months and years. Getting them into play is the most important thing and mould-lines be damned - I salute your drive to get busy with your stuff!