Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Uncharted Seas - Anyone going to try it out?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Tri3

• Librarian
    • Miniature Review
Uncharted Seas - Anyone going to try it out?
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:56:37 AM »
I just slapped down some $ on buying 3 fleets for uncharted seas.  Anyone else sending money their way.  The stuff so far looks pretty nice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:27:04 PM by Tri3 »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Uncharted Seas - Anyone going to try it out?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »
As a Man O' War fan, I am sorely tempted - the only thing holding them back is the Quar cavalry I recently bought (now there's a scene, Quar cavalry fighting fantasy ships.....). I really do think I will fall, though, painting the Dragon ships Oriental style is attractive, and the Dwarfs are ideal for another area of application - Aquanef (the nautical Aeronef, obviously).  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
I just slapped down some $ on buying 3 fleets for uncharted seas.  Anyone else sending money there way.  The stuff so far looks pretty nice.

What is it?

Speaking as one who has a collection of about 1000 Wizkids Pirates of The Spanish Main cards and ships, which I and a group of friends played avidly for a year, and then haven't touched since, I'm wary about getting enticed into another seafaring adventure - much as I love the idea!  ;)

Is it a miniatures based game? Or cards?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »

What is it?
There you go:
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/#/shop/4529596392
Miniatures, not unlike the old Man O' War flavours.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
I've considered it, the same way I consider most new games and ranges of miniatures that come along. I hope it catches on and the range grows with at least a few more fleets. Then I might take it up.

...But even as I'm saying this, the thought strikes me that I really should finish my Aeronef fleets first.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Swampfox

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
...But even as I'm saying this, the thought strikes me that I really should finish my Aeronef fleets first.

I am in the same boat! My two fleets have been primed for months without any progress. I might snag some dwarf ships for Aeronef.

Offline Tri3

• Librarian
    • Miniature Review
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:03 PM »
Yep the Dwarf fleet looks perfect for Aeronef although I am not sure how the scales will match up.  I believe the large ships are around 15cm.  I have never played Aeronef, but bought a bunch of ships at 25% off.  I wouldn't mind playing sometime if I can find anyone to play.

Uncharted Seas seems to have a lot of potential.  There are going to be airships as well as ground troops in the future.  Also shore batteries and things like that.  What sounds really interesting is you could have multiple battles on multiple fonts going on at the same time.  One could be a ground assault on say a shore battery, another of course could be ship to ship and the last could be some sort of aerial combat.  Also there will be rules for boarding other ships.  GW really missed a great opportunity IMO.  Why they didn't continue the MOW or an update to MOW is beyond me.