Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:45:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689781
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Pulp Alley player's first AAR  (Read 3330 times)

Offline garcia5156

• Schoolboy
New Pulp Alley player's first AAR
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:28:52 AM »
Hello all,
This is our first foray into Pulp Alley, and I thought to write up this AAR to commemorate. On a side note, I am a complete noob on posting pictures alongside text in this format, so I have the pics at the bottom. Scroll down to view pics as you read to best visualize the story!

A little about the home brew scenario:

I called it “The Search for the Sacred Mortar and Pestle.” I set up a jungle/volcanic fissure board, devised the four minor plot points, and determined a “statue” of a frogman holding a mortar and pestle would represent the major plot point.
As the story begins, a Nazi reconnaissance team led by Oberst Dietrich Gore (Leader) has been dispatched to the steaming Congo to determine the fate of a missing German expedition. Should the unlucky explorers have failed in their quest for the mythical Mortar and Pestle (said to have alchemical powers beyond imagining!), Gore is to see the mission to its successful conclusion by retrieving the relic from the ancient ruins that house it.

American archeologist Benjamin “Bayou” Harris and his small cadre of adventuring scholars have different plans. Never known to be enamored with all things Nazi, Harris believes the artifact belongs in a museum where any alleged properties could be scientifically investigated.

Working for a mysterious mastermind who remains hidden in the shadowy underworld of French Equatorial Africa, Commandant Lemieux leads a group of hired Congolese warriors to intercept both foreign groups in an effort to safeguard the prize for their master’s own enigmatic reasons.

This region of the Congo is infested with a thorny vine forest seemingly possessing a mind of its own as tendrils snake around ankles, arms and throats. The fissures around the area erupt with superheated vapors and even white hot lava at times. The unusually shaped hill emerging from the canopy marks the location of the fabled ruins. Somewhere ahead, the remnants of the German camp (Plot Point 1) may have clues pointing out the location of the structure’s hidden entrances. Failing that, petro-glyphs high atop the hill (Plot Point 2) or perhaps a surviving scientist from the initial Nazi expedition (Plot Point 3) may provide an indication of how to get within the buried remains.

Photo One:
[This is our set up with the Nazis on the upper left approaching the abandoned German camp (white building—PP1), the American archeologists near the center already en route to the camp, and the African warriors on the upper right, attempting to traverse the jungle toward the downed Nazi walker with a lone surviving German hidden inside (PP3). The petro-glyphs (PP2) can be seen on the hilltop as well.]

While two of the scenario events were rather appropriate, one was horribly deadly and caused all sorts of mischief. The Nazis rolled Familiar Area and so easily won Initiative. The Archeologists were Well Prepared, while the Africans got the dreaded Danger, Danger result! On a board so heavily filled with Perilous terrain, this would be very bad as the story bears out:

Photo Two
[“Bayou” Harris, Dr. Fred Murphy, and Juan Reyes search for the abandoned Nazi Camp]

During the onset of the adventure, a firefight broke out as Oberst Gore discovered “Bayou” Harris and his colleagues. Harris finally emerged from a slimy bog full of snakes (2 turns stuck in peril! “Why did it have to be snakes?”). In all the shooting, the archeologist was injured, but one of the Nazi followers succumbed to the adventurer’s return fire. Meanwhile, the thorny vines were proving deadly to the African natives. It seems the Congo would not provide preferential treatment to their native born sons! [The fact that every Perilous Area was an Extreme Peril was pretty rough on the Followers and Allies]

As the bullets continued to fly, Harris and his sidekick, Dr. Fred Murphy, approached the campsite to find it covered in engorged corpse beetles (Peril). They also found the locked Davenport desk that undoubtedly contained the most recent findings of the doomed German expedition. They set out to either shoot out the lock (as Murphy insisted) or pick it (as Harris finally succeeded in doing). All the while, the corpse beetles were deftly avoided.

Outside, Juan Reyes, the devoted ally, held off the entire Nazi party by himself! Of course, he had the assistance of the fiery lava fissures that decided to erupt just when the German troopers attempted to climb over!

On the other side of the hill, a few of the Congolese warriors managed to clamber onto the sacred mound in an effort to reach the petro-glyphs. The Commandant and a pair of Warriors finally arrived at the downed Walker to find it had bogged down as a result of quicksand (3” Burst Peril)! After managing the danger, Lemieux climbed to the cockpit and tortured (Might check!) the pilot until he got the location of the hidden entrance.

Atop the hill, the Congolese were being harried by vicious vultures that seemed to be intent on guarding the petro-glyphs’ secrets! It seemed that just as they made some progress deciphering the cryptic glyphs, a warrior would submit to the vulture attacks! Some of the Africans fired down toward the Archeologists, but Harris and Murphy were too good—putting a couple of the Congolese down for good in retaliation.

Back at the abandoned Nazi camp, Harris deciphered the German notes and headed to the entrance on the side of the cliff. The ruined interior of a burial site lay within. He was not alone, however; he’d arrived just as the Congolese entered from the far side! Javelins and bullets flew across the darkness. Once Harris was hit yet again, he quickly surmised the situation was deteriorating—and they were about to get worse! The Nazis overcame Reyes and were now coming up behind Harris and Murphy! Ellen Grayson, Dr. Harris’s cunning young intern, having been waylaid by the snakes in the bog, was lagging behind.

Photo Three
[“Bayou” Harris enters the ruin, only to find he is not alone!]

In the crossfire, Harris went down, leaving Murphy and Grayson alone! The Nazis were also down to the Oberst and his silent, masked sidekick, Mettelstrom (the Nazi Allies and Followers dropping to Lava Perils!). Just as these two entered the ruins, Commandant  Lemieux approached the coffin at the center of the chamber. Suddenly, dozens of spiders descended from the dark ceiling overhead [6” Peril Burst!]. Lemieux cunningly realized the over-extended lid of the coffin warded him from the critters. Hiding there, the Frenchman pried the lid only to discover it triggered a mechanism that opened a secret door in the wall behind him!

Photo Four
[Commandant Lemieux approaches the sarcophagus as deadly spiders swarm the tomb!]

Everyone bore witness to the statue at the end of the wide corridor that lay beyond. In its stony hands was the object of their quests—the mythical Mortar and Pestle! As the spiders dispersed, a rope bridge and a deep chasm were all that separated them now from their goal. Oh, and their enemies of course!

Murphy was first to make a break for the artifact. As he stepped foot on the bridge, however, a dangerous peril emerged from the shadows above—an enormous boulder swung on a frayed rope directly toward him! The old veteran was not expecting it. In trying to avoid the massive rock, Murphy slipped off the bridge and plunged into the water-filled ravine to be dumped outside the ruins in the muddy bogs! [We ruled that whiffing a test without any successes would result in this unlucky result!]

Photo Five
[Terrible pic of the swinging boulder and poor Murphy dumped out onto the bog. Lemieux and Grayson await their turn]

The next attempt was made by Oberst Gore. After dodging a few bullets by the angered Lemieux, the Nazi leader used his finesse to time his crossing under as the boulder was on the upswing behind him! He made it across and was at the statue. Soon, Mettalstrom was alongside him. Lemieux and Ellen Grayson would not be left behind, though. Using his cunning and some debris, the Frenchman pinned the boulder and crossed the bridge just as the Germans were dislodging the prize.
Suddenly, a huge scaly serpent dripping with mud sprung up from the chasm, destroying the bridge, as it erupted beside Lemieux. The ruins trembled, and the far wall collapsed revealing sunlight from behind the chamber—an exit for the Nazis! Gore and Mettalstrom took advantage of the monstrous diversion and climbed through the newly made opening. Lemieux battled the Serpent as the lone Congolese warrior who’d loyally followed him was devoured whole! Grayson backed up, ready to leap across the bridge-less chasm to chase the nefarious Nazis—only to miscalculate and drop to the muddy slime below.

Photo Six
[The Serpent Guardian bursts into the chamber!]

Only Dr. Fred Murphy and a couple of Warriors atop the hill outside would have a chance at stopping the fleeing Nazis. The Congolese would give it a go with their javelins and arrows—but to no avail. And when Murphy emerged from the bogs and took aim at Mettalstrom, a well-timed Parlay (“If you shoot us now, der savages vill claim zis! You know zis to be a betta option for even you, Herr Murphy!”) by the great Oberst would make him hesitate and lose his chance!
The Nazis took the Mortar and Pestle for the Fatherland!

Photo Seven
[“Auf Wiedersehen, you fools!”]

[Despite not achieving any of the Minor Plot Points, the Major one awarded the Nazis 3 points. Meanwhile, the Africans received three minor plot points awarding them a technical tie with 3 as well. The archeologists only got 1 point for the lone Plot Point they managed.]

Photo Eight
[Our winner, Carlos, with Mettalstrom and our Initiative Token—the Chachapoyan Fertility Idol!]

Though it lasted 10 turns (we didn’t worry about the 6 turn limit as we were having too much fun!), it was a blast. For the record, I played the archeologists, and I would have won with 1 point if we adhered to the 6 turn limit! Lol …
If there are any questions at all, please let me know and I’ll be happy to respond!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:54:04 AM by garcia5156 »

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

Re: New Pulp Alley player's first AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:02:22 AM »
Good story.  ;)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Awesome! It's always great to see folks playing and having fun!  :D

I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing your photos. THANKS for sharing!  :-* :-*

If you are not aware of Mila's Phantom Agent promo for 2014, check it out and send her an email for some cool Pulp Alley goodies --- http://pulpalley.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=718&sid=9842534d641b224739988f2ad5e95eb3

That Initiative token is the BEST!  ;D ;D

THANKS

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
What a first post!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:32 AM »
What a great story and game! I love that stone ball on the bridge.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
looks fab.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
Awesome!  That game looked a riot!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Great AAR!
Thanks for posting it.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:35:03 AM »
A fast, furious and action packed adventure!

I really enjoyed reading it.

thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline garcia5156

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:54:36 AM »
Thanks to all for the kind words! Next up, I'll devise a scenario where the Nazis try to load their precious cargo onto some sort of transport back to Europe. Can the archeologists or the mysterious mastermind intercept the relic in time? Stay tuned!

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:57:36 AM »
Thanks to all for the kind words! Next up, I'll devise a scenario where the Nazis try to load their precious cargo onto some sort of transport back to Europe. Can the archeologists or the mysterious mastermind intercept the relic in time? Stay tuned!

With the nazis,..don't forget to hide\not show all the naughty bits.  ;)

Offline garcia5156

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:36:12 AM »
Yep! I sure won't, after reading the pinned info. Thanks!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
Great AAR and photos!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
What a great story and game! I love that stone ball on the bridge.

I agree, the stone ball is really pulp  :D