Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great Martian Defeat in Surrey!  (Read 4743 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
Great Martian Defeat in Surrey!
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:41 PM »

After advancing from their landing grounds at Woking, the Martian War Machines have finally been utterly crushed within miles of London. Rushed from all corners of the British Isles, a hastily constructed force of Landships, artillery and impervious suits have destroyed the main Martian advance, and saved the capital from a most inconvenient fate. British losses are reported as being very light.

Orders of Battle:

Martians:
6 Fighting Machines

Crown Forces:
HMLS 'Argo' - One 'Sovereign' class Land Ironclad (Flagship)
HMLS 'Lenton' - One 'Sovereign' class Land Ironclad
HMLS 'Nelson' and HMLS 'Kelso' - Two 'Britannic' class Land Ironclads
2nd Battalion, 1st Mechanized - 4 bases of MK1 'Tanks' (Contraptions)
1st Battalion, R.E. Assault Regiment - 8 bases of Heavy infantry with 'Impervious suits'
'D' 'E' and ‘F’ Batteries, 2nd R.A. Regiment - 3 bases of 18 pounder guns
3 Automatic Lorry columns - 3 Supply bases

(We only realised after the battle that, as the attackers, the Martians should have had stronger forces than the defending British, considering the wall of fire they had to brave, which is probably why they lost so badly)

Martian Objectives: Push through the British line and advance with at least two Tripods towards London.
British Objectives: Prevent the Martians from breaking out into London.

THE BATTLE:
The Martians advanced in line toward the British formed up upon the large hill to their front. HMLS 'Lenton' and Supporting R.E. Troops are not visible in this shot:

They split into two groups of three, one each attacking one flank. Here, the left group takes a pounding from the British Ironclads:

The left group forced a way into the British line, but was eventually overcome by disciplined volleys from the impervious suits and a ramming from HMLS 'Nelson':

The group to the right fared even worse, however, with one tripod destroyed and one heavily damaged very early, whilst duelling with the artillery guns, the contraptions and HMLS 'Argo':

The battle half way through. From top to bottom; Royal Engineers, HMLS 'Lenton', HMLS 'Nelson' and 'Kelso', R.A. (positioned around farm), HMLS 'Argo' and MK1 'Tanks'. At this point the only serious casualties sustained by the British were two bases of Contraptions and damage to 'Lenton':

After heavy fighting, the last of the Tripods succumb:

The battle was a resounding success for the British, who lost very few troops and utterly destroyed the Martians, who had but one Tripod remaining. Only the ‘Lenton’ took serious damage. The ‘Argo’ performed brilliantly, destroying two tripods by herself. London is safe, and the Martian invasion has been crushed.

In hindsight the British should have been given fewer Ironclads, as the Martians simply could not compete with the amount of shots they pumped out. Plus the Martian player rolled abysmally, whilst the British player couldn’t roll enough six’s…

The rules used were ‘Land Ironclads’ from Wessex games, a great set that I thoroughly recommend. The villages and trees were from Irregular Miniatures (We would have used more, but these were the only painted). The Martians are from GZG, and were built and painted by me. The Landships are mostly scratch built from toys by my good friend Andrew (though the 'Kelso' and 'Nelson' are areonefs from Brigade Models, with wheels added), and the infantry/guns/contraptions are all painted by him.

Next time I'm buying some flying machines!

I may post some close ups of the models used later, after I've had a little lie down somewhere...Enjoy!

I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Great Martian Defeat in Surrey!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
 :-*

Wow, that looks like it was an awfully lot of fun.

The Landships are outlandishly diabolical in their creativity!

Close-ups would indeed be nice.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
Guh...here we go...

This is merely a (very) small selection of my friends Land Ironclad collection...

HMLS 'Argo' (AKA HMLS 'Ridiculous') - Yes I know it's a ship on wheels. I wanted to use the Lenton's sister ship, but he locked that in the bathroom and told me he'd use this...

HMLS 'Lenton' and Royal Engineer Impervious suits. The 'Lenton' is a toy WW1 tank with some turrets glued on top. the R.E. suits are 3mm infantry painted metal. The supply lorries are also visable at the far back.

The 'Kelso' and 'Nelson' - I really like these.

Contraptions - Really, really small French Char b tanks. But shush! they're British!

And finally, my Tripods, from GZG. I left the tentacles out, as I didn't have the patience to keep re-gluing them after they fall off in transit. Shown here shortly before striding to their doom:

Thanks for watching!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »
Excellent stuff there. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
That landship is crazy, in a totally great way, of course.  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
Personally, my favorite is the tank with turrets added.  But they all are splendid!

Who in the world would ever think of putting wheels on a ship model...  o_o

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:37:24 AM »
I KNEW that the martians would come down on the side of the dastardly Hun! :)

Beatiful models and a great looking game.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »
Excellent stuff there. 8)
Why thank you!

That landship is crazy, in a totally great way, of course.  :)
Yes, yes it is...

Personally, my favorite is the tank with turrets added.  But they all are splendid!

Who in the world would ever think of putting wheels on a ship model...  o_o
As is mine.
Land-Ironclad, get it? ;)

I KNEW that the martians would come down on the side of the dastardly Hun! :)

Beatiful models and a great looking game.
We infact belive that the Martians were attacking in support of a French attempt to invade Cornwall, but this may just be down to paranoia on our part.

Thanks for the replies!

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
Poor old Surrey seems to be taking a hammering lately from all sorts of Prussian/ Martian invaders! Love the battle and especially that ironclad on the large wheels. Dont think I've seen that before!
Well done.

How did you find the Land Ironclads rules and have you played Aeronef before? If so, how do they compare?

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
How did you find the Land Ironclads rules and have you played Aeronef before? If so, how do they compare?

I bought the Land Ironclad rules from Brigade Models. They also do a small but growing range of Land Ironclads, though many people prefer to scratch build theirs.
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Frames/VLI/index.html

No, I haven’t played Aeronef, but I'm going to buy a copy soon. The two sets are compatible, made by the same company. LI basically lets you add ground units to Aeronef, and Areonef lets you add air units to LI. Wessex are planning to release Aquanef, which will let you use watercraft (ships, subs etc).

Land Ironclads itself is a very simple set, with a full timeline and army lists for Great Britain, Germany, France, Spain, USA, Ottoman empire, Austro-Hungarian empire, Russia, Italy, Martians (and possibly some others that I've forgotten) and a ‘miscellaneous’ section, that gives stats for the likes of Zulus, Boars, Native Americans and others. I think Wessex also plan to release lists for other world conquests, with different types of Martians etc.

Hope that answers you question!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
Hey everyone, this is my first post ever! Yay!

Im the other guy who played in this battle, It was a really good one and I fully recomend the rules set.

I would also like to say that however Ridiculous the HMLS 'Ridiculous' is, it is rather cool, and definately my favorite of my Ironclads. I got the idea off a cover from a issue of 'Popular Machanix', where there was a sorta wheeled ship thing.

Also in its defence, it destroyed 3 Fighting Machines, so it must be good. ;)

Regards
Mr.Marx
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:40:44 PM by Mr.Marx »