Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's God of Battles Project(s) - Full Undead Army on page 12  (Read 38223 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Argonor's God of Battles Project(s)
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
Now there are some Old Spooks I did up a long time ago. Have FUN with them all!

My regular gaming pal Duregar/Ulolkish once said that I am probably able to pull out minis for just about anything we could imagine gaming, and he's probably right...  :D

That is something I can identify with. While my own corner of the Vault of Pack Rattiness has a meager one or two thousand minis, those that Cap'm John has amassed & passed along for moi to paint bring the total up to somewhat over fourteen grand...he's reserved an equal amount of Hinchcliff Napoleonics, naval stuff, & 15's for himself.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »
I never counted, but I have a LOT. :)

I probably wouldn't need to buy a single mini to have enough for painting the rest of my life, but, well, I have given up on restraining myself.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
My regular gaming pal Duregar/Ulolkish once said that I am probably able to pull out minis for just about anything we could imagine gaming, and he's probably right...  :D

I wish I had that power...

Been thinking recently, and sorry for hijacking the topic, but how goes GoB at the moment, in general? The 'Flyte of Fantasy' range never fully materialised, and I've heard more out of Foundry about Oldhammer and Warmonger Minis, these days.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
I don't own a single model from the Foundry range, so I wouldn't know about those, and I am sitting in a de facto vacuum regarding non-GW gamers here in the middle of Funen, only playing with a couple of guys from Odense regularly, and otherwise being dependent on events like Horisont, and my own Attic Attack for meeting up with gamers from Jutland and Zealand.

We are slowly building a scene here in Denmark, both in 28mm and 15mm (I have 2 15mm projects and more possible LotR GoB armies than I care to think about, plus a Viking forsc in the mold), and proxy armies are more the rule than the exception.

I really like how the rules play - fast, simple, and still with some tactical depth - and the absence of all-powerful artefacts and characters ensures that there's amost no min-maxing when building a force, and a fun game can be had with a force thrown together without concern about which opponent you'll be facing.

That being said, I also scratch my head over some of the peculiarities in the rules, and I am getting more and more convinced that some of the armies are completely unbalanced towards certain others, but all in all it is mainly fun to play the game, and I shall for sure keep building armies for it - at least until another fantasy battle game catches my attention, and in that case the existing armies will just be repurposed (or multi-purposed).

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:22:48 PM by Argonor »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
Gav Thorpe has said that GoB will not likely to touched again, and Foundry seems to have dropped any backing they had for it. There are a few issues with the rules (in our experience mainly with undead and the ineffectively of ranged attacks), but overall they are pretty solid. Been a while since I've seen Gav Thorpe make any mention of GoB on his blog. They used to run a game day once a month at foundry with GoB, but not heard about it for a long while, so doubt it still happens. It's a pity as with a little more work (sorting out shooting attacks and a few more army lists/unit entries), it would be a really solid ruleset.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
Thanks Argonor. :)

Dijit: Jake Thornt', even? ;) But yeah, I know what you're talking about. Like I say, I've heard more about recent Oldhammer weekends at Foundry than about GoB. I think the whole thing was mishandled in certain ways, but I won't go into that now. I've still got the book on me shelf too, and I might get to put on a few games of it, now that a lot of people will have Warhammer armies at a loose end.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »
Thanks Argonor. :)

I've still got the book on me shelf too, and I might get to put on a few games of it, now that a lot of people will have Warhammer armies at a loose end.

It is VERY easy to convert Warhammer armies to use in GoB, although very difficult to convince die-hard Warhammer-players to do so  lol

Duncan, do you find the Undead too tough or too difficult to handle? They are in my oppinion underpowered against opponents with high morale, and overpowered against opponents with low morale values, and as my only readily available opponent plays the Dwarves, I have not had much success - the 'Scary' ability simply does not cash in, and thus my units are too expensive compared to the Dwarves that get full value for their points.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
Dijit: Jake Thornt', even? ;)
Errr, yeah, him ;)

It wasn't so much the scary rule, but the one that means you have to totally wipe them out rather than fleeing when they get down to 4 models. Coupled with undead's ability to raise new units, meant it was often very difficult to get rid of them. Also the points costs of the undead units meant that relatively few army builds were viable - though this is an issue with most of the army lists.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
Errr, yeah, him ;)

It wasn't so much the scary rule, but the one that means you have to totally wipe them out rather than fleeing when they get down to 4 models. Coupled with undead's ability to raise new units, meant it was often very difficult to get rid of them. Also the points costs of the undead units meant that relatively few army builds were viable - though this is an issue with most of the army lists.

Haven't used the Necromancer, yet, as his cost is a nuissance at 24 pts, and I really hope that he will make impact on the army's overall staying power at 36 pts. Well, has yet to be seen...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
New project:

Probably going to be used with the Blood Gorged list.

Got them for a bit more than £60, so I couldn't really refuse the offer...  ::)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I have bought a small addition to the Lizardmen/Blood Gorged army:

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
Those are quite some reinforcements you've got yourself!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
I have some more painted stuff (High Elves this time) inbound. From a guy I know to be a very good painter (I think he went to Nottingham and worked as a staff painter for a while).

I also recently bought some HE inf and cav still on sprues... I need to stop spending, really...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »
Got these recently:

and the blue ones at the front:

And I have to pick up a LARGE collection in Vejle on the 17th - and then I'll stop spending on these for a while and start sorting out some Undeads to face them.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
No time for unboxing these right now, but they should be ready for Attic Attack IV: