Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: An idea.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
An idea.
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
Hey guys.

I've had an idea bouncing round in my head for a while and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Why don't we created a pinned thread for imaginary nations that seem to be all over the place around here. We can create a thread for us to post backgrounds and other information that may not fit into regular threads.

What do you guys think?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: An idea.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Ha! I have spent the last few weeks putting stuff together for a modern imagi-nation, including a search on LAF, so I think its a good idea. For anyone looking at an imagi-nation I'd recommend Arlequin's blog as he had some excellent articles on the subject.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
I like it!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
For anyone looking at an imagi-nation I'd recommend Arlequin's blog as he had some excellent articles on the subject.

Your cheque's in the post.  ;)

I've had an idea bouncing round in my head for a while and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Why don't we created a pinned thread for imaginary nations that seem to be all over the place around here. We can create a thread for us to post backgrounds and other information that may not fit into regular threads.

I'm happy to do that if a few of you want it.  :)

Personally I'd love to see more Imagi-Nation blogs out there and perhaps even a single multi-contributor blog where IN 'owners' can all post 'in character' with news and AARs from their respective INs.

Sadly while a lot of people start Imagi-Nations, they often don't stay the course (myself included). Find an IN blog or site and more often than not it is defunct; its owner having moved on to other things.   

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Cool. Good to know I'm not alone with my own madness. I started writing a brief background for my own country and i've now written a brief outline all the way back to the age of Rome.

Offline AngusPodgorny1969

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
Great idea!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »
Your cheque's in the post.  ;)

I'm happy to do that if a few of you want it.  :)

No problem!  I found it very helpful in both directing my thought process and getting me to determine exactly why I thought an imagi-nation was necessary. It also helped with the process of developing the available information on the nation as otherwise I could have been researching climate patterns,  GDP and who knows what else!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
It's okay to do all that, but in my limited experience you can add all that as things progress. You can plan too much and end up going back and editing stuff you did. If you have just a basic 'line drawing' to begin with you can colour the picture in later and with far more colours.

I have to admit that I'm a bit like Gimzod and have previously started with a modern Imagi-Nation, which ended up with a detailed history that covered the whole of the 20th Century... you live and learn.

:)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
What I've found though is that by taking a more broadbrush approach and timelining development my ideas have changed dramatically, hopefully for the better. The details can come later. It was also helpful to constantly ask 'why am I creating this imagi-nation, what does it provide that an existing setting doesn't?' The research side has also been fascinating, but I enjoy that anyway, it's something I can do while I can't paint.

Offline Powered Armored Stooge

• Librarian
  • Delightfully Mad
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »
Hmmm an entire thread devoted to making up imagi-nations

I LIKE IT!! :P

Gotta start thinkin them up o_o

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
Hmmm an entire thread devoted to making up imagi-nations

I LIKE IT!! :P

Gotta start thinkin them up o_o

Hold up there Cochise! I think the idea was for a thread devoted to 'made up' rather than 'making up', i.e. imagi-nations that are already on the go.
;)

Although using the LAF hive-mind to assist someone in making one up, or fleshing one out, should be a given I think.  :)

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
Well looks like we have plenty of people who'd be up for it. :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
Why not. I create nations all the time in my head.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »