Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) S.D.Z.A. - Super-Hero Dinosaur Zombie Apocalypse Miniatures  (Read 141299 times)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: (Commercial) S.D.Z.A. - Super-Hero Dinosaur Zombie Apocalypse Miniatures
« Reply #690 on: October 26, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »
"Sharp Distinction" Coming Soon from Nexus Miniatures!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #691 on: November 07, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
The new Newsletter is out - everything you want to know about activity within the Nexus Bunker (and a little sneaky peek at the end)! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzCiFQ-rMI0rbkd4b2xJM0lnOVk

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #692 on: November 25, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »
FROM NOW (Midnight UK Time) till Sunday (again UK Time)

ALL Orders entering the code "BLACKFRIDAY" (all one word, no parenthesis) at the checkout - will get 10% off (including the new Sharp Distinction pre-orders), on top of that already Generous Offer - ALL existing Retro Booster Customers will get their Shipping refunded (just include the words "I'm a Booster" in the comments for your order to remind me).

Anyone wishing to discuss discontinued Models should contact me privately - to see what stocks we have spare.

This is only till Midnight Sunday! So if you miss it - thats on you!

https://nexus-miniatures.ecwid.com/#

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
Hi,

I may have missed this somewhere in these pages but what date are you expecting to ship the pre-orders, in particular the Red Sector Clean-Up Crew?

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
Hi,

I may have missed this somewhere in these pages but what date are you expecting to ship the pre-orders, in particular the Red Sector Clean-Up Crew?

I've been sending Email Blasts about the delays, if anyone's not been getting them please drop me a line at nexus-miniatures@outlook.com and I'll rectify that.

We've been MASSIVELY let down by not only the original 3D Printer but the Royal Mail as well - Losing a little over 11 weeks in "time".

We've been delayed was the Royal Mail actually LOST the first lot of Greens (even though they were sent Special Delivery - and a little over-insured for £2500) that were sent for casting.

They FINALLY turned up at the Sorting office in Lincoln, nowhere near Ranby (the casters home town) although that's still in Lincolnshire.

They were FINALLY returned to my local Post Office (and a BIG thanks to Rand, my new local Postmaster who's been awesome) who brought them round to me personally.

I know they were (over) insured - but the HASSLES and delays would have been longer and more stressful!

All's well that ends well, I suppose - but yes its been a pain as well the other issues.

On top of that I was let down REALLY BADLY by the first round of 3D printing (from another company that promised me fast and great quality) which is why my ETA for shipping was so fast initially because I based it on their timeline. It took them FAR longer than they promised, and when the prints FINALLY came through the quality was not (and I mean NOT AT ALL) as promised - rough, so much so some of the detailing was obscured - and actually malformed in places (elements were "twisted" for want of a better word).

Luckily I found a new guy (overseas but still in the EU) who's printing quality is much better the samples he did are just undercoated white (if you've seen the pictures of the New Defenders you already know that), I think everyone can see how good JUST WHITE undercoat looks. The First wave is with me now - and they are gorgeous. The second wave is being printed now (the Christmas shutdown is a pain too LoL).

So please do not worry, I'm not a fly by night operation (Nexus is in its Fourth year now) and I have readily contacted via Email, Phone, and Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Doctor.Warlock

We're working feverishly to get things rolling as fast as possible it's STILL going to be faster than a Kickstarter LoL!

Oh, and the Red Sector Crew is really "Limited Edition" now too - so if you did pre-order it you are lucky, because of a Cease and Desist Order from Grant Naylor Productions - they will not be available in the future.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #695 on: January 11, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »
Oh, and the Red Sector Crew is really "Limited Edition" now too - so if you did pre-order it you are lucky, because of a Cease and Desist Order from Grant Naylor Productions - they will not be available in the future.

I always find that kind of "grassing up" quite annoying. You wouldn't be impacting sales of the (currently non-existant) "official" minis now or in the future. Obviously once they know Grant Naylor have some impetus to make sure they take out any perceived IP challenge but there's someone out there who has flagged it up to them.

Personally I'd rather that someone had a go at Black Tree and their infinite final stocks of Dr Who minis now that Warlord are actually paying for the licence.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #696 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
I always find that kind of "grassing up" quite annoying. You wouldn't be impacting sales of the (currently non-existant) "official" minis now or in the future. Obviously once they know Grant Naylor have some impetus to make sure they take out any perceived IP challenge but there's someone out there who has flagged it up to them.

Personally I'd rather that someone had a go at Black Tree and their infinite final stocks of Dr Who minis now that Warlord are actually paying for the licence.

I couldn't agree more - were there already a licensed range, I wouldn't have even considered producing them - the letter commented on their "accuracy" though - which was kind of a compliment :D

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #697 on: January 11, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »
Was there a "grass" involved though?

It's worth noting that the BBC is now aware of such products in this industry - see Crooked Dice and the not-Dr Who range.

It doesn't take huge leaps of faith to consider that having been brought to their attention they are now swinging the old sensors over the industry.

I don't see how people can be "upset" or "annoyed" it is what it is. The folk that produce these miniatures do so for the love of the original source influences. People buy them for the same reason. The companies that own the franchise show themselves also cherish them. So it is relatively inevitable that these sort of instances will occur.

For me, everyone should be aware of the risk, from producers of the models through to the buyers. That's why it's best to buy them if you like them / want them because you can never know when that sweeping eye will fall upon such a range and C&D it.

This isn't meant as a diss to any miniatures or their quality, just underline the reality of this part of the industry and the risks it takes.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
Was there a "grass" involved though?

It's worth noting that the BBC is now aware of such products in this industry - see Crooked Dice and the not-Dr Who range.

As I understand it there was no official contact with Crooked Dice regarding the not Who minis though Heresy did have some form of letter, though I don't know from Who precisely.. Why they've not nuked Black Tree I have no idea.

I think all the IP preventions I'm aware of were tip offs from gamers. Eureka Chaos Weasels and Apes were IIRC victims of gamer IP crusaders.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
First, the C&D was from Grant Naylor Productions and not the BBC - I doubt if they have enough staff on hand to go out looking for specific copyright infringements, thats a full time job in itself - even the BBC rely on Word of Mouth for the most part.

When I rang them and asked directly they were willing to admit the Red Sector Miniatures HAD been reported to them, and that it came from a "Professional Source".

They wouldn't clarify any further sadly.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #700 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:57 PM »
I think all the IP preventions I'm aware of were tip offs from gamers. Eureka Chaos Weasels and Apes were IIRC victims of gamer IP crusaders.

As were Eureka and Mo-Fo Stargate Miniatures.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #701 on: January 11, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
I wasn't suggesting this was by the BBC, more that the BBC are clearly aware of this arena.

It also wouldn't be a full time job would it? I'm also pretty sure that the BBC do have a legal team under which this sort of thing may fall, so whilst they may not be looking ALL of the time, they may well do from time to time.

If the leak to the Naylor etc came from a "professional source" then it's unlikely to be a gamer. Which for all we know, could be someone at the BBC for example. Again, not saying it was.

And as I have said, I'm not calling anyone names or criticising people or their product or business model here. Just a bit surprised that people are annoyed with anyone or angry etc when this is a specific risk that would have been foreseen from the start.

The bit about the BBC was more a suggestion that such bodies are becoming more aware of such an industry that appears to be relating a lot more to tabletop games and boardgames now than it has done in the past.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #702 on: January 11, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »
LoL!

But surely a "professional source" could just be as likely be someone in the gaming industry - I'm not saying it was, but its no less of an assumption.

In the case of other companies doing "inspired by" miniatures - names have come to light in the long term, so we shall see what we shall see . . . .

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
I've been sending Email Blasts about the delays, if anyone's not been getting them please drop me a line at nexus-miniatures@outlook.com and I'll rectify that.

We've been MASSIVELY let down by not only the original 3D Printer but the Royal Mail as well - Losing a little over 11 weeks in "time".

We've been delayed was the Royal Mail actually LOST the first lot of Greens (even though they were sent Special Delivery - and a little over-insured for £2500) that were sent for casting.

They FINALLY turned up at the Sorting office in Lincoln, nowhere near Ranby (the casters home town) although that's still in Lincolnshire.

They were FINALLY returned to my local Post Office (and a BIG thanks to Rand, my new local Postmaster who's been awesome) who brought them round to me personally.

I know they were (over) insured - but the HASSLES and delays would have been longer and more stressful!

All's well that ends well, I suppose - but yes its been a pain as well the other issues.

On top of that I was let down REALLY BADLY by the first round of 3D printing (from another company that promised me fast and great quality) which is why my ETA for shipping was so fast initially because I based it on their timeline. It took them FAR longer than they promised, and when the prints FINALLY came through the quality was not (and I mean NOT AT ALL) as promised - rough, so much so some of the detailing was obscured - and actually malformed in places (elements were "twisted" for want of a better word).

Luckily I found a new guy (overseas but still in the EU) who's printing quality is much better the samples he did are just undercoated white (if you've seen the pictures of the New Defenders you already know that), I think everyone can see how good JUST WHITE undercoat looks. The First wave is with me now - and they are gorgeous. The second wave is being printed now (the Christmas shutdown is a pain too LoL).

So please do not worry, I'm not a fly by night operation (Nexus is in its Fourth year now) and I have readily contacted via Email, Phone, and Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Doctor.Warlock

We're working feverishly to get things rolling as fast as possible it's STILL going to be faster than a Kickstarter LoL!

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sorry to hear about your current difficulties, I hope it all gets sorted soon. I've dropped you an e-mail as you suggested to get on your mailing list. I did pre-order the Red Sector Crew and am looking forward to seeing them. I am happy to wait whilst you sort out these issues.

Thanks.   :)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
MEGA UPDATE I "The Long and Winding Road"

IT'S ALIVE!

We are FINALLY seeing the light!

AND NOW (funnily enough), I understand what Companies that do Kickstarters go through now - whilst my efforts with my Retro-Booster are piddly compared to the "big guys" - I've learned a LOT!

The biggest lesson being, when you have issues/delays over half a dozen miniatures its a hassle - when you have issues/delays over a few dozen miniatures, its not something like eight times the hassle - its more like EIGHT HUNDRED times the hassle.

The delays began when the Royal Mail actually LOST the first lot of Greens (even though they were sent Special Delivery - and insured for £2500) that were sent for casting.

They FINALLY turned up at the Sorting office in Lincoln, nowhere near Ranby (my casters home town) although that's still in Lincolnshire.

They were FINALLY returned to my local Post Office (and a BIG thanks to Rand, my new local Postmaster who's been awesome) who  brought them round to me personally.

All's well that ends well, I suppose - but yes its been a pain ON TOP of the other issues.

Next I was let down BADLY by the first round of 3D printing (from another company that promised me fast and great quality) which is why my ETA for shipping was so fast initially because I based it on their timeline.

They fu**ed up . . . . and I mean fu**ed up BADLY. . ..

It took them twice as long as they promised, and when the prints FINALLY came through the quality was not (and I mean NOT AT ALL) as promised - rough, so much so some of the detailing was obscured - and actually malformed in places (elements were "twisted" for want of a better word).

Luckily I found a new guy (overseas) who's printing quality is much MUCH better the samples he did are just undercoated white (please see the very rough attached picture of the "New Defenders"), I think you can see how good JUST WHITE undercoat looks. The First wave is with me now - and they are gorgeous.

Please find attached pictures of the prepped models of Charley, Felix, and N.O.R.M. (with three optional personalities) I think you will agree they really are fantastic - printed to 16 micron layers (rather than the industry standard of 25-29 microns) because I want the best for you guys.

Replacement Printing is ongoing (Future Force is next) but we've encountered minor issues with Three of the Red Sector Crew as well (and to be frank I think the Splutter Bots need work thickening up their "arms" too).

A few more adjustments had to be made to Aunt Petunia (sorted with a bracing bar between the pigtail and shoulder), Wildfire (the Guns details are just way too fine), and Barrys pen and clip board proved too vulnerable even to cast in resin - personally I think the new poses are much better, the new Rimmer actually LOOKS Arrogant.

What have I learned from all this (and this is without the fiasco with the Post Office - which is HORRIFYING but I will share with anyone interested by PM if they are truly interested) -

1 - People can't work as fast as myself or Carl can (and even Carl has admitted he cannot keep up with me a couple of times) especially 3D printing guys.

2 - I give people too much credit, just because others recommend their services doesn't mean their work is "guaranteed" to be good or fast.

3 - I need to take over my own production at some point (which I think everyone knows is a given really) if only to give me more control.

4 - Never forget to Factor in people having real lives! People have had real world issues, plus I've been ill, Lindas been ill, Casters have had problems too! Utter UTTER nightmare!

We've lost more than 10 weeks in all, and thats currently how far we are behind (sorry guys, I hate letting people down even when I'VE been let down to begin with) - BUT its still going to be faster than a Kickstarter LoL! (Carl and Dave can back me up there LMAO)!

MEGA UPDATE II INCOMING!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:04:52 AM by Van-Helsing »