Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mongol Rally Update  (Read 13746 times)

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mongol Rally Update
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »
Samarkand, Uzbekistan

Archeological digs have revealed human habitation in and around Samarkand to 40000 years ago in the late paleolithic era. Mesolithic era settlements have been found in the modern suburbs of the city and the canals that supply the city with water were first constructed in the early iron age.
An actual date to pin the founding of the city on is difficult, some scholars believe it is as early as the 8th and 7thC BC.
It was one of the main cities of the Sogdians from the earliest days and by the time of the Achaemenid Persian dynasty the city was the capital of the Sogdian satrapy.
Alexander took it, and inflicted severe damage, in 329BC but it soon recovered. Taken by the Sassanians in AD260 then the Hepthalites, Gokturks, the Umayyads, Abbasids and Samanids.
After the fall of the Samanids c1000AD the city was ruled by a sucession of Turkic tribes including the Seljuks and the Khwarazm-Shahs.
The Mongols arrived in 1220 and pillaged the city, they returned again for a similar episode under Khan Baraq.
In 1365 there was a revolot against Mongol rule and in 1370 Timur made the city his capital.
Like all of the Uzbek cities massive resoration work has been carried out, often to critism from Western scholars. Well, I would rather that things were restored so that future generations could get a good impression of this incredible place. Sections have been left in their original decaying state so the visitor can compare and contrast.

Timur’s Mausoleum:

Coronation stone:

Timur’s black sarcophagus:

Decoration in the main chamber (mostly painted paper mache which, I am told, is accurate):

Registan Square, three Madrassas 15-17thC:

Bibi-Khanym Mosque
This shows the state of the majority of the buildings before Soviet reconstruction took place c1969:

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
often to critism from Western scholars.

But why?

Excellent pictures chaps  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

former user

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

THX very much for the comprehensive reports and excellent pictures, and good luck with the continuing journey
But why?

well, without entering too much into detail, a rough sketch could be:

old style reconstruction of archaeological monuments used to go along the lines of reinstating the assumed appearance of the original building, without any regard to building materials or eventual later additions, repairs and modifications (this especially in the 19thC), and especially presenting a homogeneous uni-style appearance.
Modern style reconstruction focuses on pointing out the state of the monument as it is, including any modification that happened along the times, and making any reconstruction so that it is explicitely recognizable as such. This way the emulation focuses on the history of the monument as a whole and not on some aesthetic interpretation, and also aknowledges the fact that any old-style reconstruction can only be an interpretation of a fixed moment in time that might have never existed.
This way has of course to accept being criticized sometimes of constructing monstrous hybrids without aesthetic value.
either way it is difficult, and sensible heritage management nowadays attempt a middle way of preserving a historical aesthetic while simultaneously showing the whole constructive history.

Without having actually been there, but knowing soviet style approach and judging from the excellent pictures, this would be my explanation.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
The white structure at the top allegedly held the Emir’s band who would play whilst multiple executions were performed in the area in front of the fortress.

The white wall you see was there so that visitors could walk backwards from the presence of the Emir and when their backs touched the wall they were allowed to turn and leave.....

Top chap, a real Emir's Emir...always had great parties and knew how look after people. Ah them were the days ! ;D

Stunning shots there chaps. The colours are astonishing and I agree better to restore like this and grasp the scale and grandeur than plain stone and brick or ruins.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
well, without entering too much into detail, a rough sketch could be:

I know exactly why as I have to deal with with my work occasionally. Perhaps the sarcasm was missed.

cheers

James

former user

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
sorry, I missed it indeed...
on the other hand I was a bit surprised that You of all was asking this.... o_o

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
The white structure at the top allegedly held the Emir’s band who would play whilst multiple executions were performed in the area in front of the fortress.

The white wall you see was there so that visitors could walk backwards from the presence of the Emir and when their backs touched the wall they were allowed to turn and leave.....

Top chap, a real Emir's Emir...always had great parties and knew how look after people. Ah them were the days ! ;D

Stunning shots there chaps. The colours are astonishing and I agree better to restore like this and grasp the scale and grandeur than plain stone and brick or ruins.

lol lol lol
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
And here's a none-too-shabby clay model of the Bukhara minaret picked up from a street vendor for $6.  Just needs a paint job and its ready to take a few shots from Frunzie-baby

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
Thats a bit nice. $6!!! You could have bought a suitcase full and flogged them on for a nice profit.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
And here's a none-too-shabby clay model of the Bukhara minaret picked up from a street vendor for $6.  Just needs a paint job and its ready to take a few shots from Frunzie-baby

Excellent! Can you bring back 300 for the fellas?  :D

Thanks for the photos chaps
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
"Honey, our next holiday is going to be to Uzbekistan."

"What, why?"

"Um, why not?"
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland