Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690317
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great War Painting Club - 100 Miniatures  (Read 217180 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Great War Painting Club - 100 Miniatures
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
No 19 Private Bosnia-Herzegovina Regiment No 3 - Austria-Hungarian Army 1914

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
No. 20  Renegade Miniatures (Early War) German Officer

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
No. 21 Great War Miniatures US Army Officer

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what kind of pistol he is suppose to be holding. It should be an M1911 .45 semi-automatic, it looks closer to the M1917 Revolver used by the US Army and rarely by the US Marine Corps. I kind of think it looks more like some kind of Ray Gun.

I have totally mis-identified this miniature. It came out of my pile of USMC from Brigade Games but its actually from Great War Miniatures pack US001 US Officers and NCOs. So he is correctly holding an M1917 revolver instead of a .45. I had forgotten that I was using a number of packs of Great War Miniatures as fill ins for things I couldn't get from Brigade Games. The revolver still looks awful.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:07:00 PM by Heisler »
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
No.1 - "No Country for Pukka Soldiering"

That's lovely, Dylan

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »
Excellent additions there chaps. Particularly like that Renegade German officer Malcolm. Such a shame Renegade have gone off the market. They have some great figures.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
HAH! I knew I had it!  lol

Now I have to choose which mini to start with, but I think it's going to be an early war Frenchman in the blue and red uniform!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »
#22   American Doughboy

(I think)

This is the only figure I think I own that may be from WW1 - all I know is he is definitely a Murch figure.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
No. 21 Brigade Games USMC Officer

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what kind of pistol he is suppose to be holding. It should be an M1911 .45 semi-automatic, it looks closer to the M1917 Revolver used by the US Army and rarely by the US Marine Corps. I kind of think it looks more like some kind of Ray Gun.

Well done on a mediocre figure.  & it's the weapon (?) that makes it so.

His holster is clearly an M1916 for the 1911 .45 he ought to be brandishing.  
& his sidearm clearly will not fit inside.

The abortion he's attempting to hold looks most like a Nagant revolver, given the stick like grip his hand is wrapped around, sorta, kinda...

Methinks the sculptor has a less than passing familiarity with actually using a pistol.  
I'll agree it's more raygun than revolver, & it's NO automatic.

Perhaps I'm being uncharitable, but others get it right, & there's absolutely ZERO shortage of examples & reference material.
Given the way the hand is posed around something too small to be a magazine fed weapon this was designed this way, not a mis-cast.
Tis a pity, the balance of the fellow seems spot on.

By the look of him he'd benefit from a 2 hand swop.  & there are plenty of hands holding 1911 .45s to choose from, cannibalisation not required,
lots are offered as spares.

No. 21 Great War Miniatures US Army Officer
I have totally mis-identified this miniature. It came out of my pile of USMC from Brigade Games but its actually from Great War Miniatures pack US001 US Officers and NCOs. So he is correctly holding an M1917 revolver instead of a .45. I had forgotten that I was using a number of packs of Great War Miniatures as fill ins for things I couldn't get from Brigade Games. The revolver still looks awful.

Actually M1917 revolvers were limited standard, or substitute standard, weapons.  Widely issued certainly, we couldn't produce 1911s fast enough, & doubtless some preferred a wheelgun over an automatic in the mud of the trenches, but only absent available Colt Automatics.  The figure's holster nonetheless remains an m1916 for the 1911, NOT capable of holding a big revolver.  The M1917 holsters, butt forward or conventional, are quite distinct, and not fully flapped.

I continue to concur the "weapon" is a miserable excuse for a sculpt.

Valerik

pretty picky about his .45s

EDIT: Updated reply to reflect the new info

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:33:34 PM by Valerik »
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 01:59:57 AM »
#22   American Doughboy

(I think)

This is the only figure I think I own that may be from WW1 - all I know is he is definitely a Murch figure.

He is not your standard American Doughboy with that helmet. He could be are Harlem Hellfighter though, in which case he would be a black soldier still a member of the US Army but serving in a segregated unit with the French. The facial features of the casting at least suggest that he might be black.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »
Really? Huh.  I couldn't find him on the Pulp Figures site, but I am dead certain he is a Murch figure, and he looked an awful lot like a WW1 uniform to me...well, we'll see if I get added to the list or removed...

former user

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »

chinese warlord tin hat brigade
http://pulpfigures.com/products/view/164

and he is pale enough to be from northern China, so You are spot on! I don't know whether the colleagues in the history department put the warlord era in the WW1, but it is starts contemporanously.
Besides, with characters from the Maximlian Adventure in the Colonial Club I wouldn't bother too much.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:10:13 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
No. 23  (Another) Renegade Miniatures (Early War) German Officer

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:26 AM »
That's lovely, Dylan

Thanks, H. The quote comes from an officer of the Mountain Battery, who while walking down a bush trail came under fire from a German MG. Diving into the bush for safety he landed squarely on top of a leopard, which luckily jumped up and bolted at the indignity of being sat on like this. But that was the final straw after all the heat, sickness and fatigue, and he declared East Africa to be 'no country for pukka soldiering.'  :)

Really? Huh.  I couldn't find him on the Pulp Figures site, but I am dead certain he is a Murch figure, and he looked an awful lot like a WW1 uniform to me...well, we'll see if I get added to the list or removed...

Added. Your intention was to paint a doughboy so it would be extremely petty to disallow it.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
I think its fine, no point in removing it! Intention has to count for something.

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »
He is not your standard American Doughboy with that helmet. He could be are Harlem Hellfighter though, in which case he would be a black soldier still a member of the US Army but serving in a segregated unit with the French. The facial features of the casting at least suggest that he might be black.

If I could acquire ONE of these lads I'd do PRECISELY that!! 
Your execution is very nice, & I'll agree with my betters:

I think its fine, no point in removing it! Intention has to count for something.

Added. Your intention was to paint a doughboy so it would be extremely petty to disallow it.

Brilliant quote Plynkes!  I imagine Madame Leopard felt the same!

The quote comes from an officer of the Mountain Battery, who while walking down a bush trail came under fire from a German MG. Diving into the bush for safety he landed squarely on top of a leopard, which luckily jumped up and bolted at the indignity of being sat on like this. But that was the final straw after all the heat, sickness and fatigue, and he declared East Africa to be 'no country for pukka soldiering.' 

Would make a lovely vignette in any scale!!

Valerik

In any scale I could actually SEE, i.e. >20mm