Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:42:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686646
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: varnish  (Read 3530 times)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
varnish
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:29:27 PM »
It's that time again... my old bottle of varnish is empty and I need a new one.
I always used Revell matt. But I'm now using Vallejo paints only, which look VERY matt and I'd like to keep it that way, even after varnishing.
So tell me, how do you seal your paintwork? And what do you think is the mattest varnish? (Maybe I should add: I'd like to brush the varnish on, not spaying it.)
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
varnish
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »
I, too, prefer brushed varnish.

My method: First (and sometimes second, for heavy-duty and large pewter miniatures), I apply a coat of Nerchau Rubens Acrylic Varnish. Itīs an artists brand which I bought at my local crafts store (Idee Creativmarkt) for 12.95 the  bottle - the same amount of Vallejo Gloss Varnish would cost 110+ Euros. It is very durable and dries very clearly, but has a definitely glossy sheen, stronger than Vallejo Glossī. I can, however, brush on two or even three layers, and it doesnīt become too noticeably thick.

Then, I paint on a thin layer of Vallejo matt varnish to take off the sheen (unless I want to have it a metallic or ceramic look, in which case I leave it at two layers of Nerchau Rubens). Vallejo Barniz Mate, preferably the Model Color Variant, is the mattest varnish Iīve used so far.

Both brands work very well together, especially if you leave the first coats to dry for a little longer - the Rubens dries amazingly fast, though. I can usually brush on the next layer some 4-6 hours later. And itīs great to make lenses, headlight glasses and window effects.

Greatly recommended. Hereīs a link to the manufacturerīs catalogue: http://www.nerchaufarbe.de/index.php?id=107#315002

I see that they also offer matte varnish, but for lack of experience, the above ONLY APPLIES TO THE GLOSSY VARIETY.

P.S.: Itīs also very well suited to making water areas at less cost than resin, but greater amount of time.

P.P.S.: Are those the Ramones in your Avatar?!?

• Mad Scientist
varnish
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
Thanks, I think I'll try this. Here's an Idee Creativmarkt, too - only two strets away from the games store.

Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
P.P.S.: Are those the Ramones in your Avatar?!?
Of course, suits the Ramones quotation in my Signature. :wink:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
varnish
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »
Try it with Dullcoat, really good!

• Mad Scientist
varnish
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:02:55 PM »
You mean that famous stuff from Testor's? Where can I get this in Germany?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
varnish
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:04:47 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
You mean that famous stuff from Testor's? Where can I get this in Germany?

nowhere  :(  i've got mine from Antenociti

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
varnish
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
Of course, suits the Ramones quotation in my Signature. :wink:

Acoustically, I couldnīt tell the Ramones from Alice Cooper, but both made great music.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
varnish
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
Testor's Dullcote for me all the way. I like to first lay down some serious gloss varnish. After a day or two of drying, I use the dullcote spray to bring down the gloss. It works perfectly. I like the spray because I can spray it quickly and leave it outside so that the fumes don't mess up my house/workspace.

But if you really want to brush it on, Dullcote comes in a handy bottle for a very reasonable price:

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1338

Be warned though that this stuff has a serious outgasing issue. After less than a minute of the bottle being opened your entire room will smell of strong acetone. Acetone is an irritant and inhalation may lead to hepatotoxic effects (causing liver damage). The fumes should be avoided. Always use goggles when handling acetone, it can cause permanent eye damage.

Hope that helps.
n.