Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars Armada - Tactical Fleet Battles by Fantasy Flight Games  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Star Wars Armada - Tactical Fleet Battles by Fantasy Flight Games
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 12:43:33 AM »
I'm interested, though the $100 price tag is a bit off putting especially if there an arms race following.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
I'm interested, though the $100 price tag is a bit off putting especially if there an arms race following.

AND if like X-Wing you really sort of need 2 sets....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »

I was interested until I saw the price. I can only assume that the individual ships will also be at the same equivalent price as well making this far too expensive

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 06:41:16 AM »
I think I'd be fine leaning to the abstract side of things.  It's the heaps of tokens and rather clunky looking mechanics which is turning me off. 

I suppose if they are considered as counters rather than models then the scale issue becomes a bit null and void but then it becomes a board game rather than a  table top game (I see it as a table top game) and I certainly agree about the amount of tokens and mechanics, that's what is putting me off X-wing  :?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
I think I'm still interested in the idea of the system...but prefer the very clean versions you got with Wings of War...placed some cards...moved models, and had a ruler.  Not all of the maneuver sticks, clicky counters etc.  I also don't mind tokens (hell my own games use them) but if you look at the box content it's a HEAP of clutter.   lol

The big boxy bases with additional dials and counters could have been left to a simple card layout of the ship etc.  Regarding the price...eh, I suspect you'll see it for $69.95 discount from many retailers.  I can't say how nice the ships are or how big they are really.  If they're the size of the Slave 1, MF etc.  I do see it being rather pricey.   The X-Wing starter box can be had for $27 here in the states ($15 on occasion when stores get rid of them!).

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx23.html

^A "bigger" ship for X-Wing is discounted to $20 which seems fair with the amount of junk that comes in the box.  If they can keep most ships that reasonable perhaps?

PS: I will say one thing which excites me a little bit - is the idea of a campaign.  Unlike a fistful of fighters the idea of each person controlling one big ship and trying to survive countless battles is pretty intriguing. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »
I will wait and watch this as it developed. For me in new Zealand the price point will end up closer to $150NZD after the currencey exchange, postal costs etc etc.

The movement ruler looks clunkey and not sure how easy kids will pick up the game (considering my opponents will be 6 and 8) which will impact on whether I buy it or not.

I do like the stands of fighters..

LGW

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
I think this game looks great.  I've played a lot of different systems over the past few years, and Armada seems to have picked up a lot of the best parts of those.  They are also making extensive use of play aids to speed up game play.  So I don't see them as being clunky at all.  That bendy movement tool will be way quicker to use than a protractor and ruler.

While there are a lot of box contents, I don't see this as being a huge amount of clutter.  Most space games of this scale have issues with either way too much book-keeping or way too many counters.  FFG has done a great job in putting as much info/tracking on the bases of the ships as possible.  Nice part about it all being on the base is your opponent does have to constantly ask you for info on your ships.  The ship cards themselves are relatively compact - and I assume the variety of other cards are upgrades or whatnot. 

I am not shocked by the price.  Yes its a lot more than Xwing starter but you also get a lot more in the box.  I won't be getting two starters, but will instead pick up extra ships as they are released.  For sure this starter is a small game and you'll need more, but I don't think you'll need double of everything that comes in the box.

-Tim

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

<snip>
I speak heresy here, but I just...don't...paint...
<snip>

You are not alone as a heretic here.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
I suppose if they are considered as counters rather than models then the scale issue becomes a bit null and void but then it becomes a board game rather than a  table top game (I see it as a table top game) and I certainly agree about the amount of tokens and mechanics, that's what is putting me off X-wing  :?

Here, we'll agree to disagree; in most space games I play, the scale is such you assume the ship would be an invisible dot, and all measuring is from center post, or dot on ship. Nothing puts me off a rule set like something about ships 'touching'...

I imagine the ships are a holo display.

You are not alone as a heretic here.

And yet, again, someone suggested just a simple wash, and a dab of paint. Little bit preggers, don't you know.  lol

BUT, it was more a quibble about a design slip versus the cost. I may be a store keep, but I oft think like 'Joe Everyman', and we expect a LOT for $100!  :-[

Well, I suppose it could be argued that it's about the big ships, and who notices fighters in that fight.

Do I HAVE to remind FFG, it's STAR WARS?  ;)

Quibble or not, I will have it! Like the 'War at Sea' Starship Battles, and the cliccy Star Trek: Tactics, and, and... :'(

HI, my name is Doug, and I'm an obsessive.