Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 8th Army Project(Desert House Painted, MG Team and Well 4/5) (pic heavy)  (Read 21897 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
At Salute this year myself and my brother bought ourselves a couple of boxes of Perry Miniatures. Colin got the Afrikakorp and I got the British. The idea was to start some Bolt Action games. As well as the troops I got a wee armoured car. The car is finished, but I'm struggling to do the troops! :( I find the detail a bit to shallow on my guys and as such I'm not enjoying doing them!! :'( Especially since there's 30 plus models in the box! I shouldn't complain I suppose because it is great value for money!

Anyway the wee car is done....

I also plan to build a quick desert board (nothing fancy!!) with some cheap polystyrene I picked up and I'll just use my old 7th Voyage stuff for terrain.

Also, I picked up this wee gentleman at Salute this year, could he be used in an African campaign? What would I need to do to him to make him fit?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:25:33 AM by Andym »

former user

Re: 8th Army Project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
The Humber is great! (didn't even know it existed, they look a bit similar  o_o)

I find the detail a bit to shallow on my guys and as such I'm not enjoying doing them!!

this is exactly the reason why I don't like the Perry plastics....
or actually most of the plastics...
and this from me, a plastic nut!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:57:59 AM by bedwyr »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »
That car is a beauty mate  :-* :-* :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »
You don't need to do much to your beach master.I'd use a little putty to turn his cuff 's up but just turned over the once not rolled up,I'd remove the berret and give him an arab head dress.
If you've a jeep Stand him in front and put the dog on the back seat,Then you've got an Intel Ruppert who's gone native with all the Sun,or a one off LRDG commander,When your starting points an iconic figure of the longest day,theres no point trying to tame it to fit .If he's as nutty as fruit cake in France,he might as well be in Africa too.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:20:08 AM »
Who makes the chap with the dog?
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 01:45:45 AM »
Ohh nice.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 02:28:24 AM »
Who makes the chap with the dog?

Only available as a Salute giveaway AFAIK.

BTW the vehicle is a Humber Scout Car, rather than a Daimler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humber_Scout_Car
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »

Fantastic!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
The AC looks spiffy Andy 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »
Excellent work on the Humber! Had the same issues with the Perry plastics... so I traded them off. Next time I'm going dessert I'll stick with Artizan.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
That car looks great and the flesh tones on the commander is amazing!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »
Beautiful job on the scout car!  I agree the Perry 8th Army have shallow detail; if you're a layer painter you have to be very neat and there's not much to work with on the faces compared to the more cartoony metals.  I've found myself using a mixture of washes over a coloured undercoat and then some selected highlighting, finished off with some old-school blacklining (actually dark brown-lining) to define some of the straps etc.  They are a different animal to the West Wind and Artizan metals, but, I think, very rewarding when done, especially given the animation of the poses.

Good luck!  Hope you get them finished.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »
Thanks chaps

Excellent work on the Humber! Had the same issues with the Perry plastics... so I traded them off. Next time I'm going dessert I'll stick with Artizan.

I think I'm about 1 step away from doing this Moiterei! My painting style just doesn't suit these!! >:( Artizan, thanks gor the tip! Does anybody know of any other decent 8th Army metals out there?

Beautiful job on the scout car!  I agree the Perry 8th Army have shallow detail; if you're a layer painter you have to be very neat and there's not much to work with on the faces compared to the more cartoony metals.  I've found myself using a mixture of washes over a coloured undercoat and then some selected highlighting, finished off with some old-school blacklining (actually dark brown-lining) to define some of the straps etc.  They are a different animal to the West Wind and Artizan metals, but, I think, very rewarding when done, especially given the animation of the poses.

Good luck!  Hope you get them finished.

Thanks for the help James! Its very much needed. I need all the luck I can get! It's more the thought of 30+ of them where I have paint on all the detail that's putting me off! I think I'll need to employ some type of speed painting style and just try to be happy with them!

The Humber is great! (didn't even know it existed, they look a bit similar  o_o)

this is exactly the reason why I don't like the Perry plastics....
or actually most of the plastics...
and this from me, a plastic nut!

The biggest difference is the wheel arches. The Daimler has half round ones as opposed to these squared off ones.

I prefer plastics too. A lot easier to clean for starters,  plus the options are usually great!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
I'm struggling to do the troops! :( I find the detail a bit to shallow on my guys and as such I'm not enjoying doing them!! :'( Especially since there's 30 plus models in the box!

My experience exactly I'm afraid Andy. I did half a box and then couldn't be fagged to do any more. Just too small and fiddly with too much tiny detail. As you say, quite a struggle and not much fun  :(

It's a shame, because the character in the figures is superb, but I just wish they were regular 28mm, not diminutive 'true 1/56'...

The armoured car looks absolutely great though  :)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:18 AM »
Nice to know the professionals struggle as well Capt! ;)