Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Revised USMC Amphibious Combat Walker  (Read 2923 times)

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Revised USMC Amphibious Combat Walker
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »
This is a prototype WW2 USMC Amphibious Combat Walker I designed with a friend of mine with great 3D art skills. Why should the Army get all the fun? Those jarheads need close fire support against the Japanese, and a combat walker is just the thing. While the Marines used Army Walkers for a bit, it's only fair and just they get their own. This design is based on the LVT series of amphibious landing vehicles and close support vehicles.

The paint job has been re-done from two-tone camo to a Navy Gray style, and I'd appreciate ideas on how to finish the base. The name is a placeholder based on the USMC vehicle names of the war. Right now it's the AWA (Assault Walker Amphibious). But could it be something like the DNLD -- Direct Naval Landing Droid, or WAV -- Walker Amphibious Vehicle, etc.

The hull of the AWA (Assault Walker Amphibious) is shaped like a boat's hull and the legs and land propulsion system tucks up against the side creating an ungainly yet seaworthy combat walker. While less seaworthy than a LVT, it can take choppier seas and swells than a Dual Drive Tank and when combined with it's walking ability can cross coral reefs and other obstacles that would trap a standard LVT or DD tank.

Propulsion and Mobility: A dual-drive inline radial engine powers the vehicle on land and in the water. In water transport mode the AMA's protected propellers draw water through intakes in the lower hull, with secondary motive power provided by the walker's tracks, which are modeled after the LVT and have "scoop" shaped treads which help propel the craft. When on land the crew have their choice of "road" travel mode or walker mode. In walking mode the walker's weight is more evenly distributed than other US walkers through broader feet and support struts that allow it to walk on soft and sandy soil. The AWA also has sharp "toes" in it's front wheel housing that allow it to climb sharper grades and hills, digging into the soil and providing more traction.

Armor: Like all combat walkers there's a trade off in mobility and protection and it has about the same armor as the US General Early M11A3 combat walker.

Weapons: The AWA "Satan" is designed as a close support walker and mounts a modified 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 - armed with a 75 mm howitzer, and a Canadian Ronson flamethrower. The Ronson has a small napthalene fuel tank with less pressure and range than a standard mount, but sufficient to take out most fortified positions. The AWA also mounts a front pintel .30cal Browning LMG, plus an armored gun tub with an additional .30cal Browning LMG.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:11:41 PM by SBMiniaturesGuy »
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
Re: USMC Amphibious Combat Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
PS -- this was repainted after some folks have told me they like the lines and concept of the model, but the two-tone camo is distracting and recommend either a new camo scheme or Navy grey.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:12:17 PM by SBMiniaturesGuy »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Revised USMC Amphibious Combat Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
I used to own a Sherman named Ding Dong. http://035f399.netsolhost.com/companyB_samplegallery.html
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FATROC

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
Like the new paint scheme.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
Thanks! Yes, the decals are from Company B -- unfortunately I used my "Crazy Legs" name up on another combat walker, and had to scrape the"Bad Boys" ones off of this walker before repainting it from the bad two-tone camo paint job I first did.