Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Joe Abercrombie - great books for background  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Joe Abercrombie - great books for background
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
Just reading Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" trilogy and previously read "The Heroes" and I must say, as well as being an excellent read, they'd make a great background for anything from rpg through skirmish to Fantasy Warriors massed battles. Examples of all three of those game types appear in the books. Great individuals suitable as rpg characters or "specials" in skirmish or battles. A subdued form of magic. A variety of human and semi-human races. For the first time in many years, I'm tempted to break out my figures and Fantasy Warrors rules and set to.

Anyone else read him?

Doug

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Joe Abercrombie - great books for background
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
Only read The Heroes. Good read and interested in picking up the others at some point.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
I could never figure out what sort of "era" it was set in. I have only read The Blade Itself but all the talk of officers, uniforms, sabres and duelling made the military of the main nation sound at the least renaissance level. I know it's a fantasy land and doesn't have to follow trends of our history but I had a tough time envisioning what the soldiers would look like etc.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
I read the First Law quite recently - couldn't quite decide if I enjoyed it or not.

It started off pretty well - but I wasn't so sure by the end.

I could never figure out what sort of "era" it was set in. I have only read The Blade Itself but all the talk of officers, uniforms, sabres and duelling made the military of the main nation sound at the least renaissance level. I know it's a fantasy land and doesn't have to follow trends of our history but I had a tough time envisioning what the soldiers would look like etc.

This too - as there are also mentions of soldiers being in full armour.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
I think ultimately it stopped me being able to fully immerse myself into the world, which is why I only read the first one. I also, and this is just me I think, got the feeling that the author was trying too hard to make his characters so edgy/dark/grizzled/trope avoiding that they all became a little dull.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
I've been wondering recently, what's the difference between a trope and a cliché?

Doug

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
I figured they were the same thing.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
I've read his books and plain forgot about them. I couldn't really identify with the characters and their whole well-being was of no consequence for me. That's not to say, they are bad books - I'd rather say they are not my kind of book.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »
I've read them all and apart from "Best Served Cold" - which was nihilism personified - I've thoroughly enjoyed them!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
trope
trōp/
noun
a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
"he used the two-Americas trope to explain how a nation free and democratic at home could act wantonly abroad"

cli·ché
klēˈSHā kli-,kli-,ˈklēˌSHā/
noun
a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
"the old cliché “one man's meat is another man's poison.”"
synonyms:   platitude, hackneyed phrase, commonplace, banality, old saying, maxim, truism, stock phrase, trite phrase; old chestnut
"a good speechwriter will steer clear of clichés"
a very predictable or unoriginal thing or person.
"each building is a mishmash of tired clichés"

Ask and you shall receive...

Gracias,

Glenn

PRINTINGBRITISH
a stereotype or electrotype.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »
I've read the trilogy, Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.  Excellent books and I certainly hope he keeps writing.  If you enjoyed them, I also recommend the Traitor Son cycle by Miles Cameron.  I've read the first two books, The Red Knight, and The Fell Sword.  The third book in the cycle has just been published.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 05:34:41 AM »
Read all his stuff, and very much enjoyed it. Some of it is a bit of a slog but it's usually worthwhile. I Imagine the universe is a bit over the place, Talins and Adua being renaissance Europe, the north still stuck in the dark ages and the south a sort of medieval middle east. I do prefer the world in his new book 'half a king' which is set in a fantasy dark age setting.

Offline tp

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
Joe Abercrombie is probably my favourite currant fantasy author. Personally I found his world completely immersive, and the characters very real, a lot of them are neither hero nor anti-hero.
The trilogy didn't quite tie everything up the way I would gave liked, but then some of these loose threads have carried on through the stand alone books and he plans to finish the series with another trilogy, so hopefully by the end everything will be sorted.

Offline tp

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
Joe Abercrombie is probably my favourite currant fantasy author. Personally I found his world completely immersive, and the characters very real, a lot of them are neither hero nor anti-hero.
The trilogy didn't quite tie everything up the way I would gave liked, but then some of these loose threads have carried on through the stand alone books and he plans to finish the series with another trilogy, so hopefully by the end everything will be sorted.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
A certain LAF moderator put me on to them,great read; and these days I endlessly quote ; Logen "you have to be realistic" and as I'm a chef I find "you can never have too many knives" amusing.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.