Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Posse for Upsheet Creek, and some Confederates  (Read 4046 times)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
A Posse for Upsheet Creek, and some Confederates
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
A friend came around today to ask me to photograph some mini's I painted for him a while ago as he intends to sell them to fund his new collection >:(
The first is some Artizan Cowboys, the Earp gang from Artizan + a couple of other Artizan figs, I am thinking of keeping these as the Earps, in particular I am very fond of, based on the "Tombstone" movie one of my favourites. I had to GS the beard on Doc. I was particularly pleased with the empty bottle of Jack Daniels at his feet (carved from a piece of clear sprue). Thinking of using these as my Posse for the BLAM game.

These Confederates, the 21st Virginian (?) were painted due to his love of the "Gettysburg" film, they were based up for use in "Brother Against Brother", three units differentiated by having either 0,1 or 2 stones on their bases. Stonewall Jackson is their Leader, the figures are by Redoubt. I would quite like these as well but they are going on ebay tonight as he wants as much as possible for these.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: A Posse for Upsheet Creek, and some Confederates
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
Lovely looking figures. ;D

I especially like the Redoubt Rebs. I think they are my favourite of all the ACW ranges.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
Stunning paintwork all round, mate.
They shall look wonderful in the Creek.
 :-* :-*

A quick note for the BLAM game: You only need four figures, a variety of weapons would give you most flexibility.
I shall have enough figures for the four players in each game, but by all means please do bring your own posse.
These will look wonderful, and I do believe that Captain Blood also has a bunch of dapper varmints for himself to use.
 :D

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Love the black coats on the Earps. Black is (pardon the pun) my Bete Noir. I can't ever seem to get a shade better than dark gray. Any tips?
"Fasten your seat belt. I wanna try something..."

Offline philhendry

• Scientist
    • My Wargaming Website
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »
You can't shade black (obviously?). You can only highlight it. And in my opinion, the knack to highlighting black is 'less is more'. Use very little, very dark, paint. And you don't have to highlight with dark grey - very dark blue, green, blue, brown or even purple works well, and each creates slightly different effects - useful if you've got a figure with several different 'black' items of clothing.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »
For the blacks on these figures I highlighted by adding Foundry Rawhide, but any Greyish brown tone will do, I find it keeps the colour a bit warmer and looks more natural for cloth, with black I also tend to build up the highlights abit more using three or four stages.
As Phil Hendry says depending on the effect you are after experiment with different colours, blues work well for leather, and greens,purples look good for fantasy skin tones.
Many years ago I successfully painted a 54mm Iranian seige SAS model high lighting the uniform in a dusty brown, the flak jacket in green and the leather in blue (unfortunately I have no pictures or the model to photograph) so although the figure was wearing all black you could see some differentiation between the different materials.
I hope thyis helps.

Offline BunkerMonkey

• Librarian
  • Professional Slacker
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 03:13:41 AM »
Coolio! Thanks! I've heard of mixing flesh tone or brownish grey for your highlight but am still too damn lazy to try it! Instead, I just keep using the same old Black Grey from the bottle! I'll have to take the plunge.