Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lancer Orcs complete unit done  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Lancer Orcs complete unit done
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »
I'm extremely fond of komodo dragons, but I think they'd make absolutely crap mounts. Look at pics of them, starting with the links Glenn posted. Their legs are so short their bellies almost drag on the ground. Not to mention the sprawling posture. They can run, but only in very short bursts. Otherwise their main speeds are 'amble' and 'stop'. They're not built for running: they don't chase prey down in a tense race like you might see on the Serengeti via National Geographic or the BBC. Their whole... motif isn't speed but patience.

Also, see how big they are in that video. 8-9 feet of a long thin body and a long thin tail. Set a 20st orc on that it'd be like riding a sausage dog. A scaly, ravenous sausage dog.

Komodo dragon cav might be the only cav in a game with a movement stat lower than the infantry.

I'm not opposed to orcs riding something scaly and ravenous, but I think it'd have to be a fictional (or prehistoric) something scaly and ravenous.
Or, take another look at the vid for another possibility for orc cav. You could even paint 'yes' and 'no' on it's backside.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:02:35 PM by Vermis »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
 lol
I was thinking an upscaled komodo dragon, well more something that has the same look but fantasied up more.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
Go different, forget dragony lizardy stuff

Bounce around the Eocene a bit..

Giant Rhino Variants, and interesting predators, but rhinos have already been done,

Maybe go doglike with a Andrewsarchus supposedly the biggest terrestrial meat-eating mammal that ever lived.  Surely to an Orc's taste?

Or maybe go Chalicotherium.

Whatever you choose have fun with it, hell if a company can do dwarfs on giant badgers, you can pretty much upscale whatever you want anyway  :D

Mind you badgers can be damned dangerous normal sized.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:05 PM »
Whatever you choose have fun with it, hell if a company can do dwarfs on giant badgers, you can pretty much upscale whatever you want anyway  :D

lol There is that, I suppose. And at least they look better than said company's cat cavalry.

Bounce around the Eocene a bit..

Creodonts and bear-dogs. There's some 'wargs' right there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:09:45 AM by Vermis »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 03:15:21 AM »
Even some sort of giant Rat... GIANT rat.
Large beetles maybe, not very orcy though.

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:25 AM »
Having looked at most of the suggestions,  I must admit looked at Wikipedia for prehistoric dog and was immediately bitten, excuse pun. They just looked so right and of course you would expect to see them as a pack animal. Will definitely investigate further but think they may be the answer, and of course will work for chariot as well. Thankyou guys new it would help to post the question

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »
Any plans on other units such as goblins or trolls?

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
Had a good chat this morning with my sculptor about the next orc unit and the cavalry, goblins have been mentioned and part of me says it makes sense to do orc then goblin then orc and so on, to build up the range fairly fast. But there is a lot of goblins out there and at the end of the day if I cant sell them I go out of business so I have got to know there is a big enough market for another range  which is always the question.  So bear with me on that but odds are in there favour

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
Trolls its a yes

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
But there is a lot of goblins out there and at the end of the day if I cant sell them I go out of business so I have got to know there is a big enough market for another range  which is always the question.  So bear with me on that but odds are in there favour

Hope it goes well. :)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
Glad it's funded ,can't wait to get them  :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:31 AM »
Congrats on the successful KS!

Offline Lancer

• Librarian
    • lancerminiatures.com
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
Thanks guys, well chuffed how it all went, collecting all the funds and they should be with me within 2 weeks then all parcels will be sent. Then it would be nice to see how people paint them up. I will be starting kickstart number 2 in about a weeks time, we are going with 20 orcs again, this time 2 weapons ie sword or axes and the character looks like being big boss on a boar. How does that sound

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
If similar pricing I will be in, oh don't together my extra shaman please  ;) lol