Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout; Vault 26  (Read 6384 times)

Offline nedius

• Librarian
Fallout; Vault 26
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
Hi there,

Finally decided to get around to posting some of my own stuff around here.

I'm currently creating my own 'Vault crawl' game, inspired mostly by one of my favourite games - Warhammer Quest. It used the Fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.Ls and skills, and so is based on a D10 system. I've got event cards, loot cards, map cards, and a growing WIP rulebook. That said, more or less everything is a WIP to be honest...

Anyway, figured I'd start sharing some of my pics. I've about 60 at the moment, and more stuff to photograph - so I'll do dribs and drabs in a roughly chronological order... So you can kind of see the process I've been through.

Well, I'll start with the board.

I began planning on doing card tiles - so used Publisher and various textures from google images to make them up. I did use textures from fallout as well to make it feel like it was part of the universe (figured it would be ok as it was just for personal use).

So I started with this:

But, I couldn't find a way I'd like to connect the boards together. Tried all sorts of things, but couldn't get anything that just seemed to work...

So I decided to make the board in plasticard. That would allow me sink magnets into the plastic to hold it all together. So I made lots...

which go together really well:

Anyway, the reasoning behind the size is that since the game will feature lots of guns, I needed the boards to give people room to move around to get line of sight, and so on.

And then they were painted.

Right - other half needs the laptop! Will post more later!

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: Fallout; Vault 26
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
Good lawdy, how long did they take to put together? It all looks awesome  :-*
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
Those tiles look great. I shall watch this project with interest.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Ah here is your already mentioned project. Well why you had built everything from scratch will become your little secret I guess, but for the further expansion of this great looking start I would make moulds of the current stuff and cast the remaining parts.

I hope you`ve made a + / - Magnetpositioning on EACH side of the parts, otherwise you will have trouble to connect alle parts with each other in any combination.

I like the 3 Sqare brought floors, makes the things a bit more tactical in close combat. In which dimensions the squares are? And how you want to manage the Doorpositioning on a 3 Tiles Floor? Will the door only allow one person per time to walk through?

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »
Those are some stunning pieces.
 8) 8) 8):-* :-* :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
Ah here is your already mentioned project. Well why you had built everything from scratch will become your little secret I guess, but for the further expansion of this great looking start I would make moulds of the current stuff and cast the remaining parts.

I did think about casting, but there were a few reasons I went plastic. First, it's very durable. Secondly, I have loads of it. Thirdly, each board section is unique. Only a few sections could have been easily duplicated and then decorated (mostly corners and cross junctions). The rooms are each different, superficially to indicate which is which - the pattern of the floor tiles shows whether it's the diner room, generator room etc. In all practicality, the furniture that will be placed in the room to offer cover will show what the room is, but when I was designing the paper tiles, it was an easy way of knowing how many different rooms I'd made. Finally, I've never cast anything before, and don't have any of the stuff. So, given I did have shed loads of plastic, I used that. Cost me nothing but time. Besides, each board doesn't take too long. 

I hope you`ve made a + / - Magnetpositioning on EACH side of the parts, otherwise you will have trouble to connect alle parts with each other in any combination.

Er... well, of course. would be rather foolish not to... they can be positioned in anyway - all tried and tested. :) The magnets are strong enough to hold the sections in place, but if you intentionally position tiles away from the main connection points, they don't pull the tile out of place.

I like the 3 Sqare brought floors, makes the things a bit more tactical in close combat. In which dimensions the squares are? And how you want to manage the Doorpositioning on a 3 Tiles Floor? Will the door only allow one person per time to walk through?

That's what I was thinking. The squares are 30mm squared, big enough for the bases of the 28mm miniatures I'm using.

The doors are going to be interesting. And... could be a reason to learn to cast. I'll need a lot, and they will more or less be identical. My current plan is to use large, wide doors, big enough to allow access for all three squares. However, I'd also like some 1 square wide doors, which would use wall sections for the other two. The tricky bit is going to be how to integrate them into the board. I might use them as a solid block - a separater between each section. I could alternatively either use a sort of T shade join, where the top bar sits on the board section surface, and the downward bad would hose the magnets, OR just have them sit on the board top. Not decided yet.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
This looks great!

Could you not use magnets again or some sort of location pins for the doors?

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
Well the world of Fallout project logs is a small one. Nice seeing you here. Glad you made the move to plasticard, looks way better which is saying a lot. Keep it up!  :)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »
Woo! Loving the patina! I will watch with interest :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline SerialMoM

• Scientist
  • War never changes
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
Yes this is an awesome project.

I love it already.
Please help me with my Fallout rules, picture heavy!!
leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=47609.0

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments!

Will continue with the boards, since that are close to finished now.

There was a lot of decoration added in the build phase - thin plasticard dowel twisted to look like rope - sand and debris piles, ammo casings, thin plastic for paper, open grates and pipes etc. These just needed painting.

However, to give it a real fallout air, I printed out dozens of mini versions of fallout posters.

These were glued down with a mix of PVA glue, water and a drop of brown paint to weather them.

For the bedroom, I added a rug made from dolls house carpet, distressed and painted with washes to alter the colour and age it.

Touches like that left me with my finished set for the initial phase of floor tiles.

There are more boards I want to do - a lift/elevator, a toilet block, and a super mutant lair. Those will probably be done after the majority of the furniture/miniatures are done.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
A fine collection of tiles  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Shuby

• Bookworm
    • 28mm from hell
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
 ;D More !  ;D
More,more,more,more....more....

Offline JackTR

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
wow, amazing project indeed, would love to play on those tiles!

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
This is so damn cool  :D cant wait to see the completed project  ;D
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA