Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70935 times)

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (6/11 Parking Garage Finished!)
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Oh yeah,

looks pretty cool! Big thing to paint.

Cool dusty MadMax Look with great new Options for playing on it.

Thanks for sharing.  :)

Greetings,
Jan
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
Oh yeah,

looks pretty cool! Big thing to paint.

Cool dusty MadMax Look with great new Options for playing on it.

Thanks for sharing.  :)

Greetings,
Jan

Thanks Jan. I'm definitely trying to keep his options open.  I could have post-apoc'ed it even more, but I wanted it to be just as useable as a worn-but-intact building in modern or zombie games as in a post apoc-setting.

It was a big chunk to paint, but I've gotten used to that now.  Lots of spray paints, wet-brushes, fast drybrushes and heavy washes and it's actually a pretty quick process.  Flinging cement mix at wet paint was a major time-saving discovery.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
Here's a batch of scatter and small terrain I'm making for a buddy of mine. In exchange he will be painting up 6 or 7 necromunda characters.

All are based on more of the "Base 10" bricks that I also used on my parking garage  Once you gouge them up a bit they make great cement floors.

-The first batch is cargo.
Some bogey's from a toy tank and some random gears taken from the inside of various toys. I love these.

Here's some baby food pouch caps, some electric motors (these are in everything!) and two stacks of I-Beams made from Power City (aka Girder and Panel) sets.

-The second batch is general industrial stuff.
Three bits of machinery all made from leftover parts from the $10 Technolog tanks I built a while back.

Here's a battery box from a flashlight with some tank wheel pieces. A section with a game piece, a farm oil tank, a contact case jar and a small bit of pipe from a toy. The green box was the back of some old army-men toy.

Here's kind a neat twist. I made two additional walkway sections so that each batch of scatter terrain can be placed together into a larger terrain piece.

Just primed these up I'll snap a pic this evening and maybe even start on painting.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (6/27 Scatter Terrain before paint)
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Is there anywhere in particular that you found to snap up these "Base 10" bricks in bulk?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
Is there anywhere in particular that you found to snap up these "Base 10" bricks in bulk?

I made a lucky find of the ETA brand blocks at Goodwill in 1, 10 and 100 sizes.  I also scored a bag of one inch plastic tiles and plastic word tiles, both of which were part of the Parking Garage build.  Must have been a preschool closure or somesuch.

I've got some big ideas for city block bases with these, but if anyone needs some base 10 blocks I'd be willing to sell some for half of whatever they're selling for new plus shipping.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Great idea for some scatter terrain or larger areas of industrial supplies.  I can't wait to see these painted.

Wonderful inspiration for my own table.

Thanks for sharing!
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2016, 07:40:40 PM »
Just finished up a couple of Necromunda style platforms based on platforms from the "Tony Hawk Circut Board" series of skatepart toys.

Construction process was as follows.
-Cut ends and center out of one and a side off the other.
-Add two supports to bottom of one (it was a bit tippy) and put a tab on top of each to suggest a hatch.
-Remove Roof and glue back on upside down to get the grid pattern.
-Snip off pegs that originally held roof in place to make a level surface.
-Spray prime black with $1 can of flat black from the hardware store.
-Lightly spray orange or blue from a distance to get mottled finish. I used Rustoleum Satin colored spray paint. Even though it's "satin" when applied from a distance in a light dusting, it dries fairly flat.  Also it's pretty cheap at around 4 bucks a can.
-Each side was turned face up, drenched in brown wash (Future Floor Finish and paint) then after it dried turn a new side up and repeat, etc..
-Matte Finish to cut the shine
-Drybrush light tan.

Here's the results:

I was tempted to add more detailing on top, but as you can see in the last pic, not doing so makes for a nice wide space that you can stack other terrain on top of in true Necromunda fashion.

A couple other observations...

-I do wish is that I'd gone with either blue for both or orange for both so they'd look more unified when used together. 

-The orange one really looks like rusty metal. I'll probably replicate this in the future as a very fast way to make rusty metal.

-I'll definitely be using these satin colored sprays lightly dusted over black again. I avoided them for years because they are satin and not flat, but it turns out to be an extremely fast way to make worn-looking paint and there's a HUGE variety of colors available.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Excellent result!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Inspiring,I did  have some those baby food pouch tops  to use as air vents ,for my sci fi /necromunda setting.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks Folks,
       I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for more of these.

The Baby food caps really are great. I've used them on alot of my buildings.  They come in two styles too.  The round ones are great for classic industrial look, but the 4-segmented kind like above are great for taking a wash and a drybrush just a bit better.   

I should have some completed pics of the scatter terrain next week.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (7/26 Necromumda style Platforms Finished!)
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
Found this Indiana Jones "Jungle Cutter"  (missing a fair number of parts) at the resale shop.

Could be a cool crawler or Ork Tank or somesuch, but I'm going to convert it into an industrial processing/grinding center.  Like a couple of my recent projects I'm going to try and use almost nothing except for this model itself in the conversion.

The first step was to remove the treads and the bottom/underside piece.

Then I unscrewed and removed every detail piece that I could.

Then I got out my trusty Dremel 543 bit and cut away the lower section of the front so it would sit flat on the ground. I also cut away a few tabs from inside the cockpit area.

I also took the opportunity to start chopping up the track sections, making sure to preserve some long sections of tread for future use.  They're mostly one piece with tiny wheels on the bottom, but when cut apart carefully, there's all kinds of great detail you can save.

The piece on the far right is a section of the underside that I'll be using in the next step.
Lastly, I saved the shavings and chunks that were leftover.

I especially saved the tiny melted/grinded bits that the 543 bit leaves on the edges.  You'll find out why I saved these in the next installment...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
I like where you are going with this, very innovative.
 8) 8)

Eagerly awaiting the next step.
 :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks Mason, here you are...

and now for the next installment of the Jungle cutter becoming Industrial Scenry!

First off, here's two shots showing the input and output ends of the conveyor belt. It's just two pieces of tread, glued together and then held in places with pieces of plastic that I cut from the bottom of the tank hull.  Both ends extend just far enough into the structure to give the illusion of a full length conveyor belt and as you can see there's no need to be neat and tidy with the parts no one will see as long as it's nice and sturdy.

I wanted this shreder/gridner to be useful in both my urban industrial terrain and my dessert mining colony terrain.  To that end I created two different sets of scrap that can be placed on or next to the the machinery.  For the Industrial version, a pile of metal junk made mostly from offcuts from the tread sections and for the output a bunch of shredded "metal" bits made of those plastic shavings I mentioned saving earlier

and for the mining colony a small stack of concrete/mortar bits that have fallen off my house (It's 110 years old...) and some ground up rock made from gravel I sifted out of the concrete mix that I use for most ballast and soil.

The outputs are glued to pieces of Mc-donalds cup (a cheap source of flexible styrene sheet) and are stepped so they can lay in the end of the conveyor belt and appear to be spilling over.

This picture gives you some idea of how the stepeped outputs will look on the machinery. As seen in the picture, originally I tried to just glue them together (without the styrene cup base) on a piece of wax paper.  That didn't work very well and it used a ton of glue which probably injured my brain, but at least you see how the stepped effect works.

Then I primed everythign with black spray paint. a few of the bits were vinyl and have gotten just a bit sticky but that will be taken care of with time and additional layers of paint. The main structure and the big vents were then sprayed from about 2 feet away with quick bursts from a can of "Rustoleum 2x Cinnamon Satin Spray".  Spraying form a distance creates a nice mottled surface that is flatter than satin and looks nice and worn.

The input and output ends of the machinery which also give a bit better impression of the mottled paint effect.

So, this project is chugging right along. Last night I put all the paint on the rest of the parts and the various details and alot of flecks of metalic paint to suggest wear.    I'll try and get some pics of that tomorrow.   Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to apply the wash and then all that will be necessary is the tan drybrush.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Superb!
 8) 8)

I appreciate the tip with the Mc'D's cups too.
Would never have thought of that myself.
 :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Woah, excellent! Love it when people see a model, an idea pops in their head and they then transform it into something totally unlike the original and it looks awesome. Modelling at its best!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”