Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70911 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Urban Terrain Week. (Sept 2. Elevated Train Station)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
. So my Mission on Sunday was to find the name of this thingy an find someone who sells it. I searched for hours in the internet second hand adverts and images but everytime i found some of the newer and older variants. Unbelievable!  >:(
Now i am half Hot Wheels expert.

But in the end i found what i searched for.  :D ...

Have to build up my generic scifi table like eilif, my idol.  Wink
Is it a sin to open and paint new chargers in   original packaging?...

Excellent bit of research there, Jan!

It just dawned on me that '94 was 20 years ago. That just doesn't seem right.  However as your new idol, I hand down the spiritual pronouncement that it is not a sin to open the 20 year old packaging.  The only sin would be to leave them unenjoyed and unloved for another 20 years.

On the one hand I'm kind of appalled that you would have to spend almost $50 for them, but simultaniously proud to have been so inspiring.  

One really neat part is that when you open up the launchers themsleves. (you were going to open them up, right…), you're going to find 2 HUGE gears that make great terrain themselves.  Here's what I did with mine. It's the doublestack of two gears in the back row, second from the right.

Consider it a sneak peak of the massive cargo scatter terrain post that I haven't put on the blog yet.  

The two gears glued together top-to-top(with the man standing on them) into one huge assembly are the gears that came in this one.

Though I did glue a toy tank wheel into the top-center to add a bit of detail.

When painting nylon gears be sure to  thoroughly wash them and then prime with a plastic specific spray paint.  I gave them the same overnight bath in "Purple Power" that I give to minis I strip, in order to get off the oil and lube that these gears tend to come lightly covered in.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:23:06 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Urban Terrain (Sept 10th. 38 pieces of cargo catter terrain)
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Went a bit nuts building cargo scatter terrain a bit over a week ago, and here's the result:

Pictures of all of them with construction and sourcing information here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/09/scatter-terrain-for-sci-fi-and-post.html

Here's some of the choice bits:

Also a couple of mini structures

And a truck

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:01 PM »
Nice.  8)

Offline Shuby

• Bookworm
    • 28mm from hell
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
cool stuff!  ;D

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 07:08:47 AM »
Hello and yes, Master,

i will open one or two boxes by my own. ;)
You found good words.
The rest i will be selling to collectors or wargamers.

Furthermore you or the chaotic warp gods gave me an intuition:
I spent another 140 bucks to buy different second hand Hot Wheels stations and boxes from 8 different persons (via internet/postage). The costly point was the postage again in this quantity, but "What costs the world?" we say here in this kind of situations.
Oh gosh!, but hey, yesterday was my birthday [no solicitousness demanded] and my passion/fanatism[?] directed me this way in a weak moment [or hours]). My girlfriend is not amused, but let me do my "thing" (separate accounts).  ::)

I just want to check the conversion possibilities of the different sets, maybe not keeping them all. Some LEGO bits were included, too. Now i am waiting for deliverys.
The whole idea is just genius in my opinion. To buy things produced for the tableop market of this size would be so much more high in price and there are PLENTY offers from parents who sell the stuff their kids played with (2 times) and went to the next thing of interest (yes, thankful we all here were born in the few rich states on the world with our decadent luxury problems).

Eilif, your scatter terrain looks awesome!!!  :-*
Can't say it enough: You inspire me a lot!
Not only the impressive conversions, but also your rule suggestions. The systems inspired me to write me own ruleset (just to have the right thing to play on my table at home).
Be lucky to have a good gaming club with the same interests. I would join, if there wasn't this big gap between us.

BTW:
A realy good different ruleset is: EDEN by Taban miniatures. I know, you guys like the generic thing (me too), but if you search for a small game with realy clever mechanics: Try it!

Sorry for the blabber, guys. I practise english with that, but wait ... if no one corrects you ... ah, whatever.
Screams: "Yes mum, i will stop writing to strangers now!"

Cheers,
Jan

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:37:41 AM by Jan »
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
Thanks Jan,
      That's very encouraging to hear!  You're right that even at retail or with high shipping the cost of toys is usually much, much lower than equivalent products designed for wargaming.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and I'll try to look into eden at at some point.

One other suggestion, do you have a "craigslist" in Germany or other local in-person selling site.  If you don't have good resale shops around (where I get my best bargains) sites like Craigslist can often produce some amazing bargains, and since it's all local, you save on shipping costs.  I've only bought a few wargaming items on Craigslist, but I've purchased LOTS of stuff for my sons Thomas Trains, and usually at ridiculously cheap prices.

It must be said though that living in decadent USA and living in a major urban area exponentially multiplies the number of deals on Craigslist and the number of resale shops.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Right-o, got my couple-three pieces for under $5US, but the amount of time in kiddie section of thrift shops, charity shops, church bazaars, garage sales, boot sales (Brit terminology), etc, meant time spent far more valuable than money spent. Fortunately, we love the hunt, don't we?

Wish I'd known how much you'd spend on shippage, as I'd be willing to gut a beast to transship to you. Still, eilif's results definitely a silver lining. Like I'd come up with anything as useful.  ::)

"t must be said though that living in decadent USA and living in a major urban area exponentially multiplies the number of deals on Craigslist and the number of resale shops." AND financially 'okay' area.

Lincoln, Ne, is quite small, but the shops tend to do rather well.  ;)

No Ikea for me to look for bags, mind you.  lol

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
I definitely love the hunt.  You do have to enjoy resaling to make my method work.  I like resale shopping and it's where I buy most of my clothes anyway as it's the only way to afford the kind of clothes I want to wear. Thus I have lots of chances to pick up terrain-able toys.

I think you're right about the thrift store demographic.  They're all over, but there's do tend to be more of them in areas that aren't highly affluent.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »
... They're all over, but there's do tend to be more of them in areas that aren't highly affluent.

Sorry,  meant to suggest more picked clean, and lower quality input, in less affluent.  ;)

Douh

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »
Sorry,  meant to suggest more picked clean, and lower quality input, in less affluent.  ;)

Douh
I see.  Here in the city we've got great resale shops in the less affluent areas. Stores that tend to be both plentiful in number and full of stuff.

Not to rub it in or anything.
 lol

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »
The terrain insanity continues. Here's a bit that I made for my friend.  He had the lone three tanks on a desert gravel base, but wanted to spice it up a bit.  He agreed to paint up a Salvage Crew for me if I gave it "The Treatment". Some pipes to connect the tanks, a few i-beams and some paint and whole new piece is born!

Full Pics and Construction details here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/09/more-terrain-small-chem-plant.html
I was sorry to let this one go, but I'm sure I'll be battling on it soon.  Looking forward to it!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Urban Terrain (Sept 15th. Chem Station Reborn!)
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
Indeed, it's a great piece! It's already on my shelf, awaiting our next game!

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Hey,

and again a great piece of terrain.  :)
Well done! Good for playing.

Craigslist isn't popular here, but we have a local ebay thingy ("local advertisement" by ebay).
Yesterday i slaughtered the first HotWheels sets.  :P

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »
Time to add a bit of church to my dreary urban landscape. Finally sat down and hammered out a building from a pile of Pegasus Gothic Terrain parts that I've had sitting around my workspace for a while.  I wanted to go the extra mile for this one, so it has proper roofs (removable of course), parapet walls (lots of cutting…) and a mildly decorative floor.

And to really mix it up, it's not grey!!!

Really pleased with the Pegasus kits.  Alot of DIY to get the most out of them, but with the right tools, they're great to work with and build a really impressive and sturdy structure that sits well in a multitude of genres and eras.

As usual, more pics and an excruciatingly over-detailed description of the process is on the blog: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/09/terrain-cathedral-de-la-pegasus.html

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Urban Terrain (Sept 22, Pegasus Gothic done up right!)
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

I have been following the development of these pieces on your blog.  You do some really great work with this stuff.

The Pegasus church is very nice too.  Unlike many wargame terrain pieces down my way it actually looks like a finished building.  It actually looks like a church :)