Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70910 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Urban Terrain (Sept 22, Pegasus Gothic done up right!)
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »
Really good terrain for scifi, post apoc and near future ! Great !

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
I have been following the development of these pieces on your blog.  You do some really great work with this stuff.

The Pegasus church is very nice too.  Unlike many wargame terrain pieces down my way it actually looks like a finished building.  It actually looks like a church :)

Thanks!
     The finished building thing is something I've been heading towards for a while now.  Most of my post apoc and sci-fi terrain is aimed at buildings that are complete and not bombed-out.  Even if they are not completed (like the building-under-construction posted earlier) or are heavily worn and abandoned, I still find intact structures to be more interesting than ruins.  Even post-apoc or dystopian futures can convincingly be built mostly-intact.

This Thursday I'm hosting a post apoc game (Nuclear Renaissance) that will feature almost all of my buildings on two battlefields. Pics for it will go up the following week. I think you'll like what comes of it….

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
We have several Goodwill shops here in Louisville, KY, but strangely ... only one really seems to ever have any toys.  Stuffed animals, yes, but I have had no luck with the broken, busted toys that we all really crave  :D

The one I do frequent, is in a nicer part of town.  The toys simply go into a giant, GIANT blue bin.  You have to wade through all the good stuff on top to dig down to the bottom and get the good bits.  On the plus side, they usually cut you an even greater discount because, well, you're buying busted bits nobody else wants.  Might even be able to convince them it's all one toy, just in pieces.

Other than that, my pickings are slim.  Love the hunt as well, but yard sales around here usually don't net anything useful.  Imagine Chicago would have better Goodwill/thrift shops, but less yard sale finds.

I've also noticed my kids are now guarding their semi-broken toys a little more lately.  A 'are you really going to fix this, or just turn it into something else, Daddy?' look, so to speak.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Gotta love the treasure hunt of digging though a giant bin!

As you say, Chicago does have lots of good thrift shops but fewer yard sales, though there are a fair number of those as well.  I used to go to yard sales alot, but I've kind of stopped now that I have kids(I'm an at-home dad).  Visiting my regular 3 resale shops once a week on grocery day has yielded great finds and almost everything in this thread, but yard-sale-ing just takes up alot of time for what is usually less results.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Great stuff, sir.
That church really looks great.
 8) 8)

I went for a ruined approach with mine but it seems we used almost the same palette....:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30667.0

;)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
Bloody nice job on the Pegasus gothic church!

The reddish colour would fit perfectly for the red-sandstone Scottish Border abbeys!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »
Motomaro,
    Thanks! The redish tint is mostly due to the lighting, though there is a hint of orange in person.  However, if you used ruddy brown primer (another color available from krylon) instead of brown, it would probably give it a more reddish sandstone shade. I may have to try that on future buildings.

Mason,
    Wow, your ruins are quite amazing. Looks like I'll have to start digging through the earlier pages of your thread.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
You have created quite the run on busted Hot Wheels toys...

This one set me back a whopping $1.

Just sayin'...

Dave

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I see alot of potential in that one. What are you intending for it?

In other news I picked the base from a "Bratz Party Playset" this weekend.

Unfortunately just the main base without the usefull girders and such, but it was only $3, still in the inner-packaging bag.  It's about 5" tall, and is going to be a landing pad. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it's got great diamondplate and rivet detail and nice rough brick texture all the way around.  Should paint up a treat.

It just so happens it's exactly the same height as a stairway from a skateboard playset that I picked up that has steps wide enough for 25m bases to stand on so there will be some easy access to the ground. Kind of like this one, but unfortunately the rails are much higher on mine.

I think it will be pretty awesome when I get all the parts together.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Not sure what I am going to do with the Hot Wheels charger.... did take it apart, and came out with this:

Those two giant internal gears are pretty sweet.  Definitely going to find a use.  I'm stuck with how to deal with those blue 'ramp' portions.  Briefly considered cutting something like this:

.... and just realized, we've totally hijacked the thread.  Apologies.  Should slink back to my own thread and just post along :)

PS -- I have a seven year old daughter.  I don't care how useful anything 'Bratz' might be, I refuse to allow those things entry into my house.  Ever.  Period.  A plague upon Bratz.  But I'm sure it will paint up nice and be awesome :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:04:52 PM by dwbullock »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »
No worries man, I'm happy to see any interesting toy junk on my thread!

I didn't see any big gears in your taken-apart picture.  Were there any in there? I consider huge gears to be one of the best things about toybashing car launchers.

I understand the no-bratz rule. I think if my daughter was old enough to know what it was I would have had to sneak it in.

Edit: Just re-read the post and saw the mention of the gears. Are they big nylon ones like the ones I used in my scatter terrain or have they been downsized?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:14:47 PM by eilif »

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
I think he means the big round fan-like bits moulden in the base. That chunk has big potential for all sorts on "industrial" bits. :)
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
As a side note, we all know to keep an eye out for Mall Madness, right?

The blue/green/purple box gives you steps that work well enough, but you can always take the yellow box and make steps bigger with chopped Evergreen styrene strip 'blocks' of the right size.

I know the outer parts of the mall have been used for fortress-like structures, but using the whole thing for Dawn of the Dead is just too cool to ignore!

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
I've got a copy, but it is pretty small for 28mm  I've seen some examples of 15mm games that look good with it.
Here's a guy that did it up as a 15mm space station.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=303907

I think mine will probably end up as a transit center for my 10mm sci-fi units.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
Right-o, the Hannah Montana version uses the center piece from the yellow box. You have to block the steps to make them big enough for 28mm. The other center piece can handle smaller 25mm-ish bases. No GW bases need apply.

I know it seems kind of short for the shops having folk, but that's just back drop. You're slicing and dicing in the courtyard and upper walkways.

As for going even smaller, when friend got excited about seeing the outer ring used for a Battletech 'fortress', he incorporated it into his 'arena.'

Doug