Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689244
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Firefly Alley? oh go on then (Big update 24/11 - new free trader crew)  (Read 11024 times)

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
Re: Firefly Alley? oh go on then.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »
Thanks guys - looks like firefly was a hit!

To talk around the figure a bit more for Chris, the Mal figure is from heresy and the the Jayne figure is from reaper. Zoe (who is on the paint desk now) is also from reaper (the ellen stone fig). The rest of the crew come from Heresy, Reaper and Hasslefree.

Simon was really tough but I think I'm going to convert a David Tenant Dr Who figure and go for the image of Simon we see when he first comes to serenity -  i.e. dark suit, waistcoat, red circular shades. I couldn't really find a good alternative despite coming through victorian ranges for a youngish handsome man in shirt trousers and a waistcoat -  shout if you know one!

The alliance purple bellies are from rebel minis who have acquired the old mongoose masters (or so it looks like) for light mobile infantry. This is good news for SST fans and firefly fans. The rifles are technically wrong for firefly -  in 'the trainjob' they have british SA80s -  but its damn well close enough for me.

I have a variety of other figures for firefly also lined up, including mercs and bounty hunters (hasslefree, Heresy), border moon gunhands (black scorpion), core planet/persephone gangs (copplestone future wars) and have plans for Alliance feds (Heresy or Akula). Also, I need to put together a rival crew (I've just got the first of the firefly comics so looking for some inspiration there).

Eventually, I hope to run a PA campaign using heavy role play elements. I'll use a modded version of 5 parsecs to keep things unpredictable and GM light (I'll probably play with my housemate and we can have two crews running simultaneously and swap GM responsibilities alternately).

Hopefully there will be more pics this weekend as I get more painted up!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
A few years ago, I did a Firefly group to use with Two Hour Wargames 5150.  As I recall, I used all Reaper minis.  For Inara, I used a Geisha figure and did a head swap.

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
Another addition to the crew -  this time its Zoe.

More pics and details on the blog. http://lifevsgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/more-firefly-pulp-alley-project.html

I have an Alliance officer on the way and after that, not sure -  perhaps some mercs? or maybe more of the cast...

Game time soon hopefully.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Re: Firefly Alley? oh go on then (updated 20/9 w/ Zoe)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
the Browncoats forever

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
She looks awesome!  :-* :-*

Who makes that terrain set?

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
Great miniature. Well done!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
Hat's an excellent Zoe! Great character in that one.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
Wolf Girl - I the scenery is by battlesystems.co.uk, a friend has a bunch of it & for clip-together cardboard, it's pretty impressive.

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:46 PM »
Yup its battlesystems - it was a KS but is out for retail soon, if not now. A lot cheaper than resin terrain.

Never really worked out why a company didn't do a plastic set for spaceships interiors. They'd make a killing so long as they priced it reasonably -  no end of customers.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
Fine job, it's a pity I don not know the Sci Fi TV serie. (I just know the name of the serie from an episode of Bing Bang Theory)
May you include some pictures of the original TV characters you used for these miniatures?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:01:57 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »

Great thread!

I have had a pile of not-Firefly miniatures lined up for a few years and PA Firefly is most definitely on my to-do list.  I also had a lot of trouble finding an appropriate Simon miniature, so I am very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Its a bit of an ambitious idea, but seeing as the series is only 14 episodes plus a movie it would be quite reasible to write a single PA scenario for each episode.  Most of them would translate into a PA game quite readily I expect.

Also on that note, I was considering trying to set up the full floorplan of the Serenity using Battle Systems terrain, which I see that you have been using too.  That would make a very sound basis for playing episodes like Our Mrs. Reynolds and Out of Gas.

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
@cheetor - great ideas, consider them stolen shared. I really like the idea of playing each episode... I always wanted to do this with LOTR but sense prevailed (and a vague concerns for the no. of figs needed). Damn, now I need a train, and a spacestation, and a desert valley, and a brothel, and a mighty fine shindig... the list goes on. Looks like I'm going to need to re-watch it all to plan terrain and scenario rules. What a shame.  ;) Better start now.

i've also been thinking about how to use the battlesystems stuff for the serenity. I bought a few extra terminals and whatknot from scotia grendal recently for this because they have a lower tech feel. Overall, I'd love to just build the ship from scratch (wonderful scale model project) but I'd have absolutely nowhere to put it... sigh, one day. http://www.tanksandtrolls.co.uk/firefly.htm

@Katsuhiko JiNNai

Mal, Jayne, Zoe (although mine are done from different episodes were the clothes are slightly different).

Alliance feds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)
It has 9.2 on imdb  -  watch it!

I've got an alliance officer on the bench at the moment - its a conversion using a nazi from artisan and the tigh figure from hasslefree:

Talking of hasslferee miniatures, I haven't worked out how to shoehorn her into the firefly setting yet but I will:

... you can stop looking at the figure now... it'll make you go blind (you know why)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:24:19 PM by Samulus »

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 02:56:32 AM »
Oooh nice! Hasslefree has some lovely figures.

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
Re: Firefly Alley? oh go on then (Big update 24/11 - new free trader crew)
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
A sample

Lots more on blog. http://lifevsgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/firefly-figures-for-pulp-alley-alliance.html

Let me know what you think.

Who should be the captain for the free trader crew?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Firefly Alley? oh go on then (Big update 24/11 - new free trader crew)
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »

Out of the three images on your blog, I say this fellow looks the most like a leader type, the tough bugger who can hold a rag-tag crew in line. The woman looks distant and the the tank top fellow looks more like a loose cannon.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.