Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690501
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Norse Fantasy- Update: Elves  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Norse Fantasy- Update: Elves
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:08:14 AM »
New figures to use in our Crom games. I've wanted to do something in the line of Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword for a long time.

I started out with a warband of trolls. These are all Reaper models, most with weapon and shield modifications. Still have the bases to do but I'm still undecided as to what I'm going to represent underfoot.

The Chieftain

The Hearthguard

Berserks

Bondi

The Fyrd

I've got some assorted Hasslefree and Reapers I'll be using for the Humans. I'm still not totally sure what I want to use for Elves but I'm leaning towards Otherworld Miniature's Drow.

Next up though I think will be a Mead hall for these brutes to sleep in.

Thanks for looking

Mike

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Norse Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
Lookin' good.  Personally don't like green orcs/trolls and would have loved to see these in a blue-ish grey hue (you have great painting skill).  Should be a good thread to follow.  Thanks for sharing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
Those shields are great!
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
Nice! Well unified. :)

All Tre Menor sculpts?

Offline Prospero

• Student
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:03 AM »
Those are perfect for "The Broken Sword" trolls (who were indeed green). Loved that book and often thought that the elf vs. troll war would make for a great game. Good work!

Take a look at Westwind's Nordvolk figures in their "Dwarf Wars" range. I think that they make great fantasy Norse without being over the top chaosy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:31:49 AM by Prospero »

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:27 AM »
Thanks, the Broken Sword has been my prime source of inspiration for this project.

The orcs are indeed all Tre Manor sculpts.

Right now I'm trying to find the right models for the Elves. I've got some Otherworld Drow on the way that may make the cut if I can work the helmets into something in keeping with the source material. I had some of the Nordvolk and they are nice, lively sculpts but very large. They would make good civilians for the Jotuns.

For the humans I'm leaning towards Tanatus and will be checking those out shortly as well.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Norse Fantasy-AAR: Sheep Raiding!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
Friday Mr Black Cavalier and I sat down to try out the Valhalla rules from East Street games. They are quick and concise. That kind of rule set I like: Easy to learn but broad enough that you won't master them on the first few games. One mechanic of the game I particularly like is the way damage effects your combat stats. Each model has four four sets of stats, each of a lesser value than the previous. As you take hits in combat you move along the columns, becoming less effective in combat.

Our set-to was a meeting engagement between a raiding party of Kentish Trolls and a patrol of English Elves. Some livestock was added to give the trolls a plunder objective.

The game went very quickly and poorly for the Elves but I managed to get a few pictures:

The lay of the land. A ruined Roman temple with an orchard nearby.

The Troll Chief brings most of his warriors in on one side.

The Elves respond.

The Troll Chief was a canny leader. Knowing the dangers of having bored Berserks he sent them off hunting at the other end of the road. They would be less likely to attack their own if they ran out of elves to kill while in their fury.

Several of the elves had bows which they put to good use whittling down one Berserk to almost nothing.

It was a quick game with the Trolls winning handily. It would not have been quite as quick if I hadn't mis-read the damage rules and had all the models two dice instead of one for damage from each hit.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Excellent stuf.   :-*
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Norse Fantasy-Elves
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:56 AM »
Its been a while but I've resurrected this thread since I have had some renewed interest and time to work on it.
It looks like I'll be shifting this to a couple of warbands for use with Dragon Rampant.

I've had little success finding elves I like for this period but think I came close to what I'm looking for in these conversions of Otherworld Drow.

These will be the lords and men at arms. I'll be working on some conversion to make levy troops as well.

The Reaper wizard was something I've had for some time and never got around to painting.

Next up should be a start on the Troll force's levies.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:06:45 PM by Skrapwelder »