Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brigade - U-Boat Gun Teams  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Brigade - U-Boat Gun Teams
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
Tropical

Winter

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:04:19 PM »
Aw, those are damn nice! Although I must admit I never heard of Mg-08 used on Hochseeflotte submarines... swell models, though. Those would be great to make a "post-war renegade pirate u-boat"

Offline Gran Capit

• Student
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 07:09:15 PM »
These minis in winter dress are very cool!!

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
    • http://www.tabletop-terrain.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:25:19 PM »
Does anybody here own the Brigade Games U-Boat that goes with these excellent figures? I'm very tempted to pick one up but wouldn't mind reading a review first...
Tabletop Terrain Gaming in 28 and 15mm!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:26:46 PM »
Quote from: "tabletop"
Does anybody here own the Brigade Games U-Boat that goes with these excellent figures?

will get it soon...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:28:37 PM »
Quote from: "tabletop"
Does anybody here own the Brigade Games U-Boat that goes with these excellent figures? I'm very tempted to pick one up but wouldn't mind reading a review first...

Plynkes does. He has pictures of it up on his blog in various games. I've seen it in person and it's very impressive. More like a scenery piece than a vehicle, but one that inspires lots of neat ideas.

Edit: I haven't seen Poly's in person. I've seen the Brigade model in person.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »
I have the u-boat. Unpainted and unassembled at the moment.

First, it's a coastal u-boat and not an open water version, so it is small. I think the piece comes in at about 18" (46cm). The deck is only wide enough for one figure to stand on it, though you could put about three figures around the gun.

The conning tower could fit three figures on it.

I think it's a smashing piece and will look great on the game table as the landing point for my evil minions with one manning the deck gun to cover their rowing to shore. Like Pete said, it's a good static piece but probably not big enough for actual action to occur on it.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:05:09 PM »
Yeah... another one of those economy-ruining future purchases.... a good thing, I got my raise last week, else...  :wink:
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:24:33 AM »
Interesting comments! Thanks! I would dearly *love* to pick up one of these, but perhaps a couple of the BG's steam launches would be a more useful gaming purchase for a similar cost. I can see you'd have great fun with ship vs ship or ship vs shore scenarios.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »
I don't mind the fact that it is supposed to be a coastal craft. I mainly use it for Pulp-style fun anyway, and any U-Boat is good enough for that purpose. My "Coastal" boat managed to find the lost continent of Caprona without too much difficulty.

The fact that it is small is good, too, as it means it doesn't take up too much table space.

I'm afraid I must disagree with folks who say it could only be used as a terrain piece, though. While mine has only been used in a static fashion so far (as a starting and finishing-point for the party of adventurers), it is smaller than both the Königin Luise and the Prinzessin Charlotte, both of which are currently on active service on Lake Wittelsbach in my Pulp "Great War in Africa" campaign.

So theoretically, the U-Boat could serve there, too. Providing Von Hanneken could find enough porters to carry it overland to the lake!!!

It all really depends how big a table you have available. I'm lucky in that I have access to a space big enough to fight small naval battles in 28mm.

Some pics of mine can be found here:
http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/2006/10/lost-worlds.html
and here:
http://www.ebloggy.com/blog.php?username=Polynikes&id=1&start=6
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 12:04:33 PM »
By the way, those greens look more like WWII U-Boat fellas than Great War ones to me (especially the tropical ones). I'm not so sure they'd go well with the HLBSC/Brigade Boot for that reason.

But if you don't mind that, carry on! I'm such a mess of contradictions, ain't I? I already said that any U-Boat is good enough for Pulp, and then here I go gainsaying myself.

What a fool I can be. Never mind, eh?

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:08:01 AM »
Nice photos Plynkes! Say, where on earth did you get those tiny dinosaurs in the 'Am I bothered?' photo?

Hmmm praps I need two Steam Launches AND a U-Boat after all!

Offline bolislaw

• Student
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
I have the U-boat also, form Historicon 06. It is very nice and I intend to use it for pulp games in the African rivers and Med. It is very well done and after the war, a few did find their way into "public" hands so it is very possible to have pirates or evil scientists or whatever owning it for your games. (this fact came from Brigade's site, not my own research, but it is true, I looked into it)

My only complaint is that it is narrow, once I based my crew on 7/8" washers, they hung over the edges and kind of looked out of place. There is an article on Brigade's website where someone widened the deck and added a bigger gun. That would work. It is an awsome kit and is supposed to be smallish. Well worth the investment!!!
Terms of surrender will neither be granted or accepted...