Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More Perry Western Desert  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
More Perry Western Desert
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
Italian trucks, a French gun, British gunners and some imperial headgear :

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: More Perry Western Desert
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
Yes!!!
I was awaiting these trucks and sun helmets!!!

Offline Beast of Bukhara

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
Very Nice Indeed ! :-* :-* :-*

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
Exquisite as always
 :-*
Good moaning

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
Awesome.  Weird Italian trucks, sun helmets, hats, what's not to like? :)

former user

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »

what happened with the gun and the calibre? is it me or does the shell look twice the calibre of the gun? Or did they have different tubes on the same carriage?
and what is with the crew?

and, when will they release french with adrian helmets, since these were used?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:12:08 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »
Hello,
I maybe misinformed, but I believe the barrel is a reworked Pak 97/38. This reworked barrel was not fitted to the French trail, but either on a Pak 38 or 40 trail - mainly the former.

Please send an e-mail to the Perries with your request. To be fair, I'm happy that we have French for the Western Desert in all forms with a couple in adrian helmet from the Perries at present.

All the best,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

former user

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
THX for the information about the guns
I couldn't find out more on the rush, but the not-released version would have been a nice concept in the first place, to represent the improvised equipment of the free french.
Still, that doesn't compute with the thin barrel and the grossly oversized shell  (I am not finicky with that one, I am usually happy if there are artillery figures at all, but the contrast does jump to the eye). And I am not sure if the combination of chechia and kepi for non-CO in the same unit does comply with french uniform culture, even in the free french army. All pictures I have seen showed that coiffure styles particular for certain unit types were consistently followed through and only the ubiquitous helmets  and readily available replacements followed a less strict uniformity.
Anyway, I was happy (see below on that one) when I saw the first WIP picture, and totally irritated when the release version surfaced.  I would be happy if the other artillery figures were released as alternatives, as well as the WG 75e version. In fact, the best solution would be separate gun versions with separate service teams.

To be fair, I'm happy that we have French for the Western Desert in all forms with a couple in adrian helmet from the Perries at present.

I agree with that one, but only in part.
After all, this is supposed to be a customer driven market, and feedback should be important.
I have yet to understand the concept behind releasing french in british helmets (which were used, but which appearance could easily be done with 8th army stand-ins that would be hardly wrong), instead of releasing them in french helmets, of which there are only a handfull in the whole market, and that could be easily converted with replacement heads in british helmet, which is  a well established concept already in the own company...
So the "fairness"  aspect applies to me only in the case that I would have to fall gratefully on my knees that a market-oriented company produces certain miniatures..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:54:44 AM by bedwyr »

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
the gun released seem's correct for a free french 75mm such as this one :

if there is no seat for the crew  :?
for the size of the shell , it's a problem with any manufacturer the shell won't fit in the barrel  :D
( i use crusader AT crew with the Warlord 75 as i think that artillerymen in fullkit is stupid , and it works ) .

the crew will work for the Erytrea-Syria Lebanon-Lybia 41-42 Free French 1st regiment of artillery :
part of the crew were coming from GB ( and equipped with british helmets ), the others coming from Congo , french and natives ( so any kind of adrian helmet or fez is possible ) and you can add some colonial helmets  ;) .

and the choice of british helmet for french infantry is historically accurate as 2 units , at least, were issued British uniforms : the Bataillon d'infanterie de marine and the Bataillon du Pacifique .

and it will work till Bir Hakeim .

For Bir Hakeim, i agree that the DBLE artillery crew in kepi will be nice  ;) future release ? with some mixed fez-adrian helmets for the Bataillons de Marche ?

and a dodge Tanake ?

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

former user

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Dodge Tanake used to be available from another company.

The only thing I object to is mixing Chechia and Kepi for non-CO in the same unit. Can't happen. In Native units with chechia, only officers wore Kepi, and the LE did not wear chechia, so....
and the 75 barrel may be correct, but is far too thin....

bur @Helen is probably right, the alternative would be not to have any....

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Dodge Tanake used to be available from another company.

The only thing I object to is mixing Chechia and Kepi for non-CO in the same unit. Can't happen. In Native units with chechia, only officers wore Kepi, and the LE did not wear chechia, so....
and the 75 barrel may be correct, but is far too thin....

bur @Helen is probably right, the alternative would be not to have any....

I think (perhaps i 'm wrong !!) that the Perry's had realise colonial artillery . So the presence of a black  artillery man (a "senegalese"") in chechia and his officier in kepi (colonial artillery or infantry officers never wore the chechia)  is accurate (with "white" other crew man in helmet or kepi !).

best regards
paco

former user

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
never mind

this is how I would "bend"  to explain it too, but the gun commander would usually be an NCO, not a CO

anyway, doesn't matter, I hope they release the Kepi only version too, or maybe some chechia alternatives as well

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
a lot of pics of the Regiment of Artillery in Bir Hakeim   you can see some fez, a lot of english helmets, and le Calot .

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:02:12 PM by lou passejaire »

former user

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
oh, come on  lol

You know very well that calot is  "colo" specific  and goes well with Chechia, as in Senegalese (or other black african) Tirailleurs with french officers. Only the LE non-CO wore kepi. CO Kepi and OR/NCO Chechia would work in armee d'afrique with Tirailleurs tunisiens/algeriens or spahi/CdA.
This is totally different nitpicking   ;)

totally different units....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:41:59 PM by bedwyr »

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
BTW, we are missing free french infantry in fez for all the "bataillons de marche" who were the bulk of the free french in Erytrea - Lebanon/Syria and of the Leclerc Force L in Fezzan ...

and former user , you're wrong :

Syria : le fanion du BM 2 et sa garde- Porte fanion Sgt chef ABDON
an european NCO in kepi  ;)
even if the calot or the "casque colo" seems to have been the most used  ;)
when you speak of uniforms , the early Free French, it's a "foutu bordel"  ;)