Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Operation Sealion  (Read 9732 times)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: Operation Sealion
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »
I've always wanted to game Seelowe; Something about panzer III's (with snorkels) mysteriously surfacing en masse on a peaceful seaside village.  :o

Crossing a river with a snorkel would have been claustrophobic enough.  Can you imagine having to cross anything larger, with your lives dependent on a thin tube feeding you air, in a vehicle where visibility would have been nil? I have visions of a pelican hitching a ride on the open end, cutting off your air, somewhat like poor Sylvester the cat, with the seagull happily landing on his breathing tube!  :D
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
Looks fantastic  :D :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
Fantastic, Dan!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
Date : Saturday Evening .
Place : Church Hall .
Characters : Mainwaring and Wilson .

Mainwaring- Well Wilson that was an interesting day , those German Airmen certainly gave us a run for our money .
Wilson- Yes they seemed just like us , rather normal chaps . Shame they didn’t like Godfreys tea . I suppose they prefer coffee .
Mainwaring- Really Wilson , I hope you aren’t going to offer Hitler’s Storm troopers Tea when they come knocking on your door.
Wilson- Well I hope we have some coffee for them . Maybe we could get Corporal Cake to bring some back with him just in case .
Mainwaring- (speechless for a few moments) Glad we called Cake and the rest of the platoon back , they should be here soon.
Ring , Ring  (telephone)
Mainwaring- Yes Mainwaring here.
Mainwaring- Area Command ? What Paratroopers again , it must be a mistake . Oh I see .
Mainwaring- Wilson , get the Platoon ready . Area Command advises that German Paratroopers have landed near the woods and are making their way here .
Wilson- Oh how awfully inconvenient , I was hoping to have a fish supper with Mrs. Pike . I suppose I will have to postpone it now .
(leaves room)
Mainwaring- Area Command , this what we have been training for but we can only hold them for so long .
Mainwaring-  Ok , we will do what we can until you get us some help

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replies  :)

Next game the German Paras landed in the fields and had four objectives to take out . Phone Box , 2 x Search Lights and an Anderson Shelter . Achieving any of these would give them a point each . The HG got a point for any Paratroopers that they captured ( max 4 ) .

I seem to have forgotten to take many photos again  :-[

Para Command setting up defense.

Section two arming themselves.

Hq and section one advancing but coming under fire .

Home Guard capturing section two's container and a Paratrooper. The container dropped just outside the Church Hall.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

I seem to have forgotten to take many photos again  :-[

I know what that is like. One should have a dedicated non-game-participant doing that.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
This game was quite a bit of fun as we used the FOW Air Drop rules for the Paras but modified them by doubling the measurements . We also had a night time rule that meant after six turns it was dark . Limiting visability to 16 inches and adding a +1 to hit. The Paras took advantage of nightfall by using a table edge to move so the HG could not see them (or shoot ) most of the final turns .

The Paras managed to destroy the Telephone Box which was quite a battle for awhile .
They also stole Jonse's Van and attempted to drive to the house near the Lifeboat house , but were stopped short of destroying the Anderson Shelter which was in the back yard. I was really worried that they were actually heading to the Church Hall to retrieve the prisoner , taking away my point .
Another group stole some bicycles that the HG had left behind and attempted to get to the Searchlight which was on the end of the Pier but were shot up too much so failed .

So this game was a draw with one point each.

End of the first day of gaming.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
Superb! That must be the first time I´ve seen a seaside pier recreated on a wargames table!

Wait till you see it filled with Zombies  :-* ( my next project ) I was also trying to make some deck chairs and Beach Huts , but ran out of time. :'(

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
The two Search lights were located ; in front of the Pier Tea rooms and above the steps mid centre of the Seawall ( just above trawler ).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
A fantastic game, well done your hard work has surely paid off :D

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »
Great! Wonderful!
I´m waiting for the third battle.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
Excellent looking game Dan.  :o :-*
The hard work obviously paid off.

Wonderful stuff. I love Dads Army and reading your scenario. I could see it playing out on the TV.  :)
Same here.  You can see the scene in your head as you read it  (well, I can.... o_o )
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »
Hi all , I wrote the introductions as I am such a fan of Dads Army and wanted the other players to get into the spirit of the game beforehand .

Date : Sunday Morning .
Place : Area Command.
Characters : Colonel Square , Major Loftus and his Batman Nigel.

Colonel Square- Bit worrying Loftus , we’ve not heard from Mainwaring since last night.
Major Loftus- Yes we’d better send those units we’ve managed to alert down to support them , and I guess we’d better have a look ourselves .
"Nigel  bring the car round".
Colonel Square- Better bring those Documents , don’t want them falling into the wrong hands .
Nigel- Should I bring the Golf Clubs ?
Major Loftus- Yes this could be just a flap about nothing , we might have time for a round or two.

I neglected to take some photos of the first moves but this will set the scene with the second section of the HomeGuard leaving the Hall on bicycles.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »
The Germans are "INVADING " :o

The Germans are Landing .

The Germans have Landed.

Unfortunately for the Germans the British reinforcements arrived very quickly ( I have to rewrite the scenario for another go ) so they were pinned down on the Seafront by a Hmg , a sniper ( Mr Brown ) 2 x Vickers and a Matilda . The Infantry began to arrive very quickly to reinforce the defense .

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
The landings continue with the trawler making a nusience of itself after shooting up a Vickers Tank .

The Boy Scouts taking command of the road to Godfreys Cottage , The objective of the game.

Mainwaring controlling the defence ( at a safe distance of course ).