Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trader nostalgia. The Battle at the Farm  (Read 41003 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Rogue Trader nostalgia. The Battle at the Farm
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the info Cheetor. Where could I get hold of the scenarios, is there some on line source?

Some searching reveals that it seems to have been in US WD #338, March 2008 marking some anniversary or other.  Thats just a link to info on the WD contents, not the article.

I dont think that I have the UK version of that WD, but I may have picked it up because its was commemorative.  I have read the revised campaign somewhere, so I will dig it out tonight if I have it.  Its based on a Battle at the Farm expansion article from WD #96 (I think), if you plan to actually use Rogue Trader rules.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:56:51 PM by cheetor »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
Thanks, good man :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
It used to be freely available as a PDF on the old GW website, but was taken down in their last webstore update.

You can find it on scribd here, but I think I may have it on my computer at home if you'd like me to email it to you.  :)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
I found the scenario in the book rather boring. Maybe I just can't imagine an interesting far-future space farm. Good paintjob, the darker colours suit them well.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
I found the scenario in the book rather boring. Maybe I just can't imagine an interesting far-future space farm.

...I felt the same way TBH. More and better scenarios is definitely something that has gotten better with each edition of 40k. :?

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »
I think I may have it on my computer at home if you'd like me to email it to you.  :)

I do have the PDF still - drop me a PM if you want it.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
Great, I'll shoot you a PM with my e mail address.

On another note, I've just spent the entire afternoon flicking through White Dwarves 94 to 149, with the vague aim of seeing if I could find said campaign. Needless to say I couldn't find it, but how good was the White Dwarf back then compared to the crap they put in it of late. No wonder they had to bin it in the end and start over.

It's odd 'cause now I've thought about it I could have sworn I've seen something like follow up scenarios somewhere.

Oh well ::)

Also found my battered, falling to pieces copy of Chapter Approved. I can still remember buying it from GW Derby, oh the glory days lol

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
Great, I'll shoot you a PM with my e mail address.

On another note, I've just spent the entire afternoon flicking through White Dwarves 94 to 149, with the vague aim of seeing if I could find said campaign. Needless to say I couldn't find it, but how good was the White Dwarf back then compared to the crap they put in it of late. No wonder they had to bin it in the end and start over.

It's odd 'cause now I've thought about it I could have sworn I've seen something like follow up scenarios somewhere.

Oh well ::)

Also found my battered, falling to pieces copy of Chapter Approved. I can still remember buying it from GW Derby, oh the glory days lol

now that I'd like to get another copy of  :(

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
I found the scenario in the book rather boring. Maybe I just can't imagine an interesting far-future space farm.
40K space farms probably ought to be a bit grimdark. Horrific battery farms and abattoirs that make the worst of today's look like paradises, and each one is the size of a city, to boot. Fertiliser and pesticides used on such a vast scale as to render everything but the farms themselves a polluted hellhole.

Alternatively, the pollution has done something Fallout-like to the wildlife. The farms have to be fortified against ferocious predators and beasties. Or maybe algal blooms and fungus have got out of hand and, outside the hermetically sealed agri-hives, blight and corruption run rife, tending by escaped workers who have turned to Nurgle.

Nigh-endless plantations worked by convicts, serfs or surgically-altered slaves and servitors. Battery farms producing nothing but soylens viridiens. Even if the main focus of farming operations on a world isn't this, I can imagine it being a side product. If you don't use the dead farmhands as fertiliser, you've got to get rid of them somehow and you might as well get some use out of them.

Then there are the social practices of the farmers and their local variants on the Imperial Cult. Take every cliche about farmers and make it worse. They're inbred and hate outsiders. They build wicker men in the shape of the Emperor and burn criminals and outsiders in it. Or they slit their throats and feed them to the fields!

Basically, take the worst rumours about the countryside, farms and farming in the modern day, and turn them up to 11.

Alternatively, just make it like a normal farm. But with dinosaurs. Or killer space badgers. You know it makes sense and it would probably help more for gaming than any of the previous. :D

I like to imagine that corn is a proscribed crop in the Imperium. Having conversations about it would just cause too much confusion.

No. 94 had a follow-up scenario - "Skirmish on Rynn's World".

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
Your Space Marines are lovely.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Alternatively, just make it like a normal farm. But with dinosaurs.

Actually, I think this is pretty much it - basically, you do have dinosaurs Grox on planet-wide farms agri-worlds.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
Love those orks.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »

Quite frankly I think the point was that sci-fi gaming was in its infancy back then. They probably wanted a setting that could be played using terrain that most gamers would have handy.

I even recall pics from that era of Space Marines visiting "low tech worlds" complete with WFB human figures standing in for the locals. The game had stats for muskets and crossbows.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
Yes, It's not the most involved scenario in the world, as I remember it, it's almost impossible for the orks to win, but it's the nostalgia that attracts me.

This was the first ever table top war game I played. Back when I first played it, we used books for the hill and multicoloured lego for the farm and walls, and some dead leaves from the garden for the wood. Non of the figures were painted and it was all played on my Mum's round, rather small dininng room table. The idea of going back to it and playing with fully painted figs, proper terrain and on a proper board is my motivation.

I guess it's about having all the toys I couldn't have as a school kid. lol