Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689631
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Advice Needed On How To Proceed  (Read 18512 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Advice Needed On How To Proceed
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »
I am a novice when it comes to trains, tracks, and all things railroad.  I know that there are some folks here at LAF that can give me good advice on how to proceed.  I started with the things I know:
A station

A coal bunker

and a water tower

Now I want to get my train and track operational. I bought a very inexpensive train but now I am having second thoughts.
The problem is that it only came with two straight tracks. I am not sure where I can get more without buying more train sets and that is a pretty expensive way to buy track! Here is what the track looks like.  It is black plastic and 1 inch wide (gauge?)

I have unscrewed the undercarriages for the passenger cars to paint the cars.  I am wondering whether these can be replaced with undercarriages that fit regular gauge track or whether they already fit a regular gauge. A single phillips head screw holds them in place.

If the undercarriages need to be replaced, where do you recommend I shop?
Finally, here is the engine. 

It didn't come with a coal car. If this is salvageable on a regular gauge track are there any recommendations on where to get a coal car? All recommendations are welcome!!!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Advice Needed On How To Proceed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:23:58 AM »
You could scratchbuild some long track sections using styrene rod? It wouldn't be too hard to get the right gauge, and some sleepers...

OR

Buy another train set and cannibalise the extra tracking.

You could cut a carriage at the windows and convert it into a tender?

Some quick thoughts.
Matt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Enough track for the average table, i.e. enough to go from one end to the other, should not be too difficult to:-
1) Build.
    Base = some strip wood from a DIY store;
    Sleepers = Coffee stirers &
    Rails = plastic girders from a model shop OR take the metal rails off any cheap track (see a model railway swap-meet)
    After it is all glued together, brush it all over with a thined down (single cream consistancy) filler. When that has       
    dried paint it a dark brown, gradually drybrushing lighter browns. Dry brush the rails silver, then give the lot a   
    drybrush the lot with 'dust' (a VERY light brown). Glue some flock on (especially  over any bad bits you want to hide)
    & you are good to go.
2) Bite the bullet & buy some track (Model railway shop or E-Bay) If you table is say 6' x 4' then 8' would let you have
    enough to have double track accross the 4' or even a diagonal track. Enough for most games.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:00:58 AM »
I bought a very similar looking train with cheap plastic track too. I bit the bullet, as has.been said,  and bought some O Gauge track. It's the flexible stuff you can bend into shape. It'll be based on ply and textured.

former user

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »
somewhere on this board there is a post about gauges and scales, and also a bit of general info.

I am afraid "having a train on the wargaming table"  is not uncomplicated, provided You do not want to spend a lot of money or use a regular gauge.

The main thing is You have to first make clear how You want to use the train. And in which period - Your nice starter buildings look like a late 19th C undeveloped country, probably the frontier of the US.
If You want to use the train as scenery, You will be fine, even if the plot calls to it arriving at or leaving from a small station, or stopping mid track somehwere nowhere.
The problems are getting serious once You want to get urban or operating.
Right now You can just check the gauge You have (the inside between the two rails)  and check what parts You can get on ebay. it takes some time and investment, but in the end it is possible to get there without bankruptcy.
So far the best idea is to buy another cheap toy train that has the same track - manufacturers usually design several different trains for the same track, so check ebay.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »
I bought very cheap s/h Hornby HO track and cut it in half along the sleepers and then re-set it the correct distance apart with piles of shingle etc. covering the gaps down the middle.  It would be better to remove the rails and scratch new sleepers but I am economical with my time if nothing else (lazy ;D)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
Lots of great information! Many Thanks!!!!