Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Geezers - Underneath the arches......  (Read 95974 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Geezers - Underneath the arches......
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »
I finally got around to starting to build some terrain for my Geezers.
As every good copper knows the villains are bound to be up to no good down at the railway arches.

Inspiration came from Erwans post here:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6883.0

I've used something similar (I believe) to the Depron that Erwan used. I think it may be Polystyrol as I have recently bought some of this from Antenociti and it seems very similar - http://www.barrule.com/workshop/scratch%20builders%20paradise/sheet%20materials%20-%20Styrofoam.html

However, this is pale blue rather than white, and 6mm thick rather than 5mm.  I found it at B&Q where it is sold as Floormaster Foam Board Underlay at £11.98 for 6 square metres. (Twelve sheets each 1m x 0.5m).  As I don't have any Depron I cannot give a direct comparison.

Its fairly easy to impress brickwork or similar into the surface using a pencil.  It is however fairly laborious work, requiring alot of concentration so as to get the brickwork bond (pattern) correct.  Once an impression is made you cannot erase it. It either stays or you have to start all over again.  You also have to be a bit careful as to which glues you use as any solvents will eat right through it.  Small test pieces I did seem to take acrylic (water based) paint well

This is just a facade which will form the front of the finished arches.  Its much easier to emboss the brickwork onto a flat piece than an assembled building.  I have backed it with foamcore to add strength.

I am already working on two more which will join together to form the edge of a table which will run for 4 feet. 

I will post my progress (as and when I make any!)

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Geezers - Underneath the arches......
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:37 PM »
Heh. reminds me of a certain location (a narrow, run down-looking street next to some railway arches) that I've seen used in several BBC shows. You might know the one I'm talking about. I know I've seen it in both Ashes to Ashes (or Life on Mars, I forget which) and Spooks. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been used several times besides. I'm starting to notice more and more "recycled" stuff in BBC shows. The artpiece that's normally seen gracing the wall of the conference room in Spooks also hangs outside of the apartment in Hustle.

But I digress. That's some really professional-looking scenery! I'll keep Depron/Polystyrol in mind for future modelling projects.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:48:58 PM »
Simply stunning overlord :-* :-*

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
THAT'S a pretty nice piece of scenery you've made there !!;DAnd all the brickwork is done by hand!! :o :o :oI'm impressed !1 o_oYou have lot's of patience and a steady hand!My only concern is how durable is a material that can be indented by a pencil?Can it stand up to normal wargaming use? Does it toughen up once painted ?

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »
Pretty pretty!!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:29 AM »
Its not going to be as tough as a resin building thats certain.  On test pieces I painted the surface with exterior masonry paint which, in addition to giving some texture to the surface, does seem to provide some protection.  All my buildings are made to play with, so its inevitable some minor damage will occur, but I dont see it as a significant problem.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:33:08 AM »
Its fairly easy to impress brickwork or similar into the surface using a pencil.  It is however fairly laborious work, requiring alot of concentration so as to get the brickwork bond (pattern) correct. 

OMG  :o

I was about to ask where you had bought those pre-cast arches  ;D

Fantastic work. But seriously, some company should consider making such stuff in injection-molded plastic. There MUST be a market for mass-produced 28 mm plastic terrain/building sets..?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »
Wow, :o that is awesome stuff Overlord. Looking forward to seeing how this develops. :) ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:11:40 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Regulator

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »
very nice stuff!  :-*

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
Nice one my son! That's almost exactly the view from Peckham Rye station lol

Peckham Rye station starred in the first episode of The Sweeney and had many a villain slammed up against it's brick work.

Be lucky pal  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »
Great stuff, very professional.

I hope that the paint job reveals that one of the lock-ups belongs to a certain Arthur Daley... !

How long did it take to inscribe the bricks on each archway?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
Hmmm. I'd advise any villains (or Old Bill, for that matter) not to mess with the lock-up marked "Universal Exports."
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Erwan

• Bookworm
    • http://terredeshommes.free.fr
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

However, this is pale blue rather than white, and 6mm thick rather than 5mm.  I found it at B&Q where it is sold as Floormaster Foam Board Underlay at £11.98 for 6 square metres. (Twelve sheets each 1m x 0.5m).  As I don't have any Depron I cannot give a direct comparison.

The depron exist in 2 size : 6mm and 3mm. I really think that this is the same stuff.

To talk about you work : you are mad !!! this is really fine :o
How much time did you work on this scenary?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
To talk about you work : you are mad !!! this is really fine :o
How much time did you work on this scenary?
I spent a while with a few small test pieces to see what did and didnt work.  That done I began planning the rough layout for the arches.

The arch was actually fairly straightforward.  The curve was made with a sharp pencil in a standard compass and pressing harder than when inscribing.  This deeper impression was then cut through with a scalpel.  As with foamcore and polystyrene, a sharp blade is required and needs replacing frequently to avoid tearing the foam.

Inscribing the brickwork is pretty simple.  You first need to accurately mark out the divisions for the bricks.  I draw then inscribe horizontal lines first to form each course.  Then mark out the brick positions (in half brick lengths for a standard bond/pattern) before inscribing the verticals.  This is the part that takes the time and requires alot of concentration as any mistake is permanently marked into the foam. 

The inscribing of this piece probably took around 2 hours, but I find 20 minutes or so at a time is my limit without going slightly mad  o_o  ;D.  (Coincidentally, whilst working on this last Sunday evening I was listening to a radio programme about Pink Floyds "The Wall" - All in all it's just another brick in the wall.  :)http://www.planetrock.co.uk/Default.asp

The other parts of the arches are card, foamcore, plastic card & balsa.  The window & door on the left has been glazed with plastic from a clamshell figure pack.

Quote from: Plynkes
Hmmm. I'd advise any villains (or Old Bill, for that matter) not to mess with the lock-up marked "Universal Exports."
Well spotted old chap.  You obviously paid attention!   Doubtless any intruders would have to deal with Major Boothroyd.  ;)
Its my intention to also use the scenery for some espionage shenanigans....very Harry Palmer

Arches number 2 is almost completed to the same point and number 3 isnt too far behind.  I will post more pics as I continue.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments.  Particular thanks to Erwan for providing the spark  8)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »
I'm lovin' this. :-*