Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: settings for gaming?  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
settings for gaming?
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
Hi everyone!

I've been discussing the whole evening with a friend, and we are looking for a setting for our miniatures. We do have some factions, but we have yet to paint them, and "contextualizing" them in a known setting would be great.

• The first though was of course Star Trek, but the style of the species is far too fixed and... trekky.
  • Another idea was DUNE
  • Another was the Metabaron Saga from Jodorowsky
  • The Iain Banks cycle of Culture
  • A Mutant Chronicles setting, although that's a bit far from the plain scifi we were looking for

in general, rather than just a good setting, we were looking for something with some products attached, movies or good books, so we can get the feeling of what's happening, rather than just playing with miniatures as tokens. Basically, we are looking for something just like historical wargaming, where you know who your minis represent.

Thanks for the help!

Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: settings for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:08:52 AM »
Forgot to say: we are playing skirmishes, so max 20 troops per side. That's ok even for star trek, where rarely more than 10 people were on the scene (mostly, i suspect, for economical reasons).

Offline nathan

• Librarian
  • Infected by 54mm
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:11 AM »
I vote for a mash-up.  If the trek races are too trek, just take what you really want from it and add it to something else.  Like Starfleet or the Federation or whatever.  A group of self-governing planets that are all members of the same interstellar organization.  The have a combination of a military, exploration corps and service organization called Starfleet.  Anyone with the right mind set can join and work with Starfleet.  Their ships use antimatter nacelles and warp coils using dilithium crystals and their favored weapons are photon torpedoes and phasers.

I also noticed that no one on LAF has posted a link to Star Trek: Axanar's Prelude to Axanar video:

2:54 length trailer

21 minute full video
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:22:22 AM by nathan »

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:10:27 AM »
The trekkie design aesthetic was mostly restrained by special effects budget.  The books, and especially the original animated series reveals just how expansive the galaxy was and how far the aliens could diverge from the bumpy-head norm.  The one that springs immediately to mind was the Edoan helmsman from the animated series.  (3 arms and 3 legs).  I think the trak universe can contain a lot and just feature the basic window-dressing that informs the milieu. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:41:31 AM »
There are a series of Doctor Who New Adventures Novels and Big Finish Audio plays set sometime in the 25th(correct me if I'm wrong?) Century. Humanity has allied with the Silurians and Ice Warriors to fight the Sontarans and Draconians. The Daleks are rocking around, causing trouble and only penal legions are sent to fight them because regular soldiers refuse to go. The Cybermen are a long-forgotten threat who pop up on occasion and there's a galaxy-wide Shadowrun-esque internet.

Give me a day or two and I can find the names of the specific stories/books.

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »
I have not been able to pull it off, but I have long thought the Stargate background would make an excellent skirmish game template.

Most actions are skirmishes near gates, boarding actions, storming enemy encampments, etc.

Most figures can be sourced:
Earth - current/near future special forces, SWAT, Spy-Fi;
Transplanted Humans - historical analogs;
Goa'uld and Jaffa - a bit tougher - various "not" figures, SF Celts, Romans, Egyptians.

If you already have any of the above types of figures, wilderness and/or ruins terrain, then all you need is a Stargate!

"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 07:12:03 AM »
Well, Metabarons is basically Dune with awesome tech and extra squick, so why not do that? ;) Lots of skirmish potential in it, although it might be tricky sourcing minis that look as aesthetically pleasing as the source material - but I'd  love to see what someone with your skills could produce.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »
There are a series of Doctor Who New Adventures Novels and Big Finish Audio plays set sometime in the 25th(correct me if I'm wrong?) Century. Humanity has allied with the Silurians and Ice Warriors to fight the Sontarans and Draconians. The Daleks are rocking around, causing trouble and only penal legions are sent to fight them because regular soldiers refuse to go. The Cybermen are a long-forgotten threat who pop up on occasion and there's a galaxy-wide Shadowrun-esque internet.

Give me a day or two and I can find the names of the specific stories/books.

I considered something simliar with the 26th Century.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/26th_century

You have Humanity bumping heads with the Draconians and the Daleks bumping heads with both, Human colonies getting caught up in the Sontaran/Rutan war and as you say, the Cybermen popping up. My big problem was finding proxies for Draconians as I'm not keen on the Black Tree figures.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »
First of all - thank you all for your suggestions.

For star trek (and dr Who and even Stargate) the main problem is that we are not huge fans. I kinda like those, but i don't feel "expert" enough to game in their settings.

other settings (such as starship troopers, which unfortunately has only two factions) can be "learned" through a movie or a series season, but those need a LOT of learning.

Metabarons are supercool, but the setting can be a bit too much "elaborated", and the design is extremely specific too.

Never heard of Shell worlds: what can you say about it Scurv? (but briefly, just to have an idea)

there's the Fundation from Asimov too, but it's a bit dispersive, since even though there are factions, they are rarely interfering...

however, even a less super-known setting but with enough diversity and depth (again, so bad that District 9 has only two factions!) could be great!

Thanks for your future suggestions, and for the past ones too! ^_^

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
First of all - thank you all for your suggestions.

For dr Who and even Stargate) the main problem is that we are not huge fans.

I know I've got a pitchfork and flaming torch around here somewhere, ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
The name Iron Empires has been popping up a lot on my RPG feeds. Its a comic series with new ones coming out I believe. Also the base for the burning wheel RPG system. Honestly don't know much beyond that but maybe something worth checking out.

Also a rather radical suggestion 40K. Especially the older fluff leaves so many room for other species and human factions. I think some people's work on this forum shows the potential there is there, even if there is a pungent GW smell hanging over it.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Metabarons would be great  :D
My alltime favourite comic-series.
Red "Castaka" recently, the prequel to the "Barons", and decided to convert me some minis for that.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I know I've got a pitchfork and flaming torch around here somewhere, ;)

i beg for mercy!!!

I'm not looking for Iron Empires, sounds nice!! Maybe a bit unknown?

40K is great, but the design is rather fixed and the style is too fantasy and... it's GW :S

Offline nathan

• Librarian
  • Infected by 54mm
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
I kinda like those, but i don't feel "expert" enough to game in their settings.

Which is why I suggested a mash up.  You take the things you think are cool from everything that's been discussed in the thread and built your own universe with it.  You don't need to be an expert in a published commercial franchise.  It's going to be your miniature gaming, not some company's.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
Picking up on the mention of District 9 you could look at maybe combining it with Elysium giving you several factions, NGO's, Prawns, armed criminals, corporate types, security droids, mercenary's (both loyal and rogue), and of course any governmental forces that might want to get involved.

Another idea is using Jodowrosky's version of dune as your setting tying in two of your suggestions.