Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Christian "god" for Of Gods and Mortals?  (Read 17718 times)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Medieval Christian "god" for Of Gods and Mortals?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
How about some Cherubs ?

No not those chubby child angels found in "modern art" but a true Cherubs.

"...In the plural, "the Cherubim" refers to the biblical angels, which have four faces of different species and several pairs of wings; they are traditionally the second order of angels.."

"...The concept is represented in ancient Middle Eastern art as a lion or bull with eagles' wings and a human face, and regarded in traditional Christian angelology as an angel of the second highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy..."

Sounds like a great monster for the Christians to me.  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »
If you are looking for intermediate heroes, there are also the Nine Worthies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Worthies

These seem appropriate for a medieval themed force.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
Where is that decurion from?
Decurion is from ExIllis. He comes in a box with 8 devils and 2 wierd big monster things.  Most ExIllis stuff is long gone, but Miniatures Market has that box for $14!  I'm strongly considering buying it and selling/trading off the other stuff.

On the other hand, I just realized that I've still got about $20 in store credit from the most recent FLGS auction, so I might just spluge it all one one particularly impressive figures like the 40k'esque uber-angel on the previous page.

Patrice,
Thanks for that, it's a great justification for a nicely armored angel.

Engel,
    I hadn't thought of a more monstrous version of Cherbus.  That's could be pretty cool as a god or Maybe a "hero" creature.

Bogdanwaz,
    Thanks! I'd never heard of the Worthies. I think that might be best for Heroes, but it's certainly fodder for many warband options. The Lady Worthies look like some good source material as well.

Thanks to everyone who's participated so far. I really appreciated the help. 

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
I've been thinking about this myself. If I do it I'll use the Heresy Angel, just love the pose :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Is there a company that makes a miniature of Morgan Freeman?  :D

I'm sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
How about some Cherubs ?

No not those chubby child angels found in "modern art" but a true Cherubs.

"...In the plural, "the Cherubim" refers to the biblical angels, which have four faces of different species and several pairs of wings; they are traditionally the second order of angels.."

"...The concept is represented in ancient Middle Eastern art as a lion or bull with eagles' wings and a human face, and regarded in traditional Christian angelology as an angel of the second highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy..."

Sounds like a great monster for the Christians to me.  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub

Thought about the Seraphim (highest of the angels) and the Cherubim (second in command) in a army, but, if I remember correctly, these 2 classes are just there to "bless" god, flying around his throne etc.
So, they actually don't have contact with humans and are not member of the fighting classes of angels ;)

So, I think an archangel would be the proper choice of an armyleader :)

But I like the idea of Patrice regarding the mini.
Maybe using a bigger scale as base for the angel?
Like 40mm or even 54mm?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 11:19:07 PM »
Saint Michael has wings, a superior rank (archangel) and is specialized against devils. ::)

EDIT: Looks like Patrice beat me to it….

Excellent! I posted the picture I had found with a quick research, and when I have seen yours... I wanted to enquire.

So: it obviously is the same drawing, one inspired the other.

The picture you posted is from a 17th century painting.
The picture I posted is very certainly a cheap, early 20th century, French Catholic Church postcard.

Both ways, people believed in it - and it's my own view of miniature wargames (RPG inspired) - the fun is to try to understand and share what our miniatures believe in!

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 05:41:37 AM »
Joan of Arc carried a 12 ft banner, the description of which survives.

Supposedly she received instructions from saint Margaret and saint Catharine.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:25 AM »
Decurion is from ExIllis. He comes in a box with 8 devils and 2 wierd big monster things.  Most ExIllis stuff is long gone, but Miniatures Market has that box for $14!  I'm strongly considering buying it and selling/trading off the other stuff.

I would probably do the same and give the Decurion to the girlfriend for her KOW Baselian army if I lived in the US.

Have you considered the Mantic Angel guys. Not the best sculpts in the world but might be a decent option.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea/product/basilean-elohi-3-figures.html

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 06:27:20 AM »
I'd go for a carroccio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroccio, a sort of war altar* with a vexillum on top, drawn by oxen.

Although I'd be tempted to do a Monthy Python god...

*No, it's not a GW copyright  ;D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
I would probably do the same and give the Decurion to the girlfriend for her KOW Baselian army if I lived in the US.

Have you considered the Mantic Angel guys. Not the best sculpts in the world but might be a decent option.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea/product/basilean-elohi-3-figures.html

Did some searching around and it looks like Decurion is not a bad figure, but some of the detail looks soft and there seem to be some rather bare areas on the wing supports and such.  I'm mostly a dip-painter, but dip works best with lots of texture.  I'm really leaning toward the "Avatar of Aurellius" from Reaper. It's far more expensive than I'm used to, but it's packed with detail and I can use my FLGS credit on it.

As for Mantic figs, I do like the look of them, but, I'm swearing off Restic unless it's a fig I absolutely have to have.  I'm slowly working through my Deadzone figs (rebs and forgefathers) because I really like the sculpts and subjects, but it's an infuriating material to work with.  I'd take PVC, plastic, resin, metal, even finecast, over it any day.

I'd go for a carroccio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroccio, a sort of war altar* with a vexillum on top, drawn by oxen.

Although I'd be tempted to do a Monthy Python god...

*No, it's not a GW copyright  ;D
I have to say, I didn't realize that this war-altar idea that GW has used so often actually had some basis in reality.  Very interesting.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »
I can understand the dislike of restic.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
Do you plan to have an old Jewish faction?  If not, then 'god' can be represented by the Ark of the Covenant.  It would be novel!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Do you plan to have an old Jewish faction?  If not, then 'god' can be represented by the Ark of the Covenant.  It would be novel!

I hadn't given it much thought.  The club has used OGAM for general fantasy a few times.  I've used my Chaos figures, but I recently rediscovered some medieval/crusader figs that are already liveried as a Crusades Holy Order.  I want to use them in the game but stay true to the way they are painted. Not sure exactly which order, but they mostly have a red background with white crosses.

Offline timlillig

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
Several people who participated in the cursades became saints.  St. Francis of Assisi (attempting to convert, rather than kill, the Sultan of Egypt), and St. Louis IX of France are notable examples.

Someone carrying the Spear of Longinus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance might make a good legend also.

Red cross on white is the Knights Templar