Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689770
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: hussite wars  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
hussite wars
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:03 AM »
Hi everyone
hoping you can help out here.
I have a large number of kingmaker 28mm hussite packs which i am starting to organise into an army. I was going to use the first few codes for hussites-KMH01-06 generally "peasant" dressed figures rather than the armoured figures from codes KMH10 onwards. What do people think? Every thing i have read suggests that hussites were generally unarmoured etc..
If so, what would codes KMH10 and 11 onwards be used for?
Also what figures are suitable for german and/or bohemian armies that fought against the hussites? Figure codes would be really helpful ( be it kingmaker, front rank or perry etc)
Thanks in advance!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: hussite wars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:35 AM »
How well do the kingmaker mins stand up to perry and claymore casting?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
very compatible based on some photos i have seen. Especially the later codes of Kingmaker.
Dont know about claymore as i havent seen any in the "flesh"

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »
Kingmaker are slightly chunkier than figures from the Agincourt range, still they mix well. Apart from usual differences in sculpting (and some minor errors in armour design) Claymore are indistinguishable from those Perry minis. I've mixed all of them, if for earlier period engagements.

That said, among German knights of at least the 1420s to 50s the so called Kastenbrustharnisch was quite common – but I've only seen it sculpted once (on order by Steel Fist Miniatures IIRC). Apart from that, plate armour wasn't as widespread as in France or England; many people would rather continue the use of mail and organic armour and add plates to it (arms and legs in particular). High-ranking nobles and princes would, of course, rather wear armour imported from Italy (often appearing quite like later designs) or, increasingly, produced in Germany/Austria/Bohemia itself.

I would avoid obvious English styles like steel collars or distinctly later designs like sallets or fluted/Gothic armour. Other than that there's not much to choose from, unfortunately. Therefore I'd rather go for the early part of that conflict and run with Kingmaker, with Perry Frenchmen and well-armoured Claymore figures thrown in for good measure.

Just a word on the Hussites: These weren't your average untrained peasants but rather well-organised militiamen, often recruited from urban communities and even from the nobility, so not necessarily poorly equipped. Therefore almost any Kingmaker figure is usable for both sides of the conflict.

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »
Thanks for that Mad Doc!
I was thinking of doing the early stages with Jan Ziska's army.
Hence my thinking about the unarmoured type figure codes from kningmaker. I was thinking of using some of the later codes as prague levy and/or holy roman empire enemies!