Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Elizabethan Gothic - part 2  (Read 24380 times)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Elizabethan Gothic - part 2
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72328.0

So when white knight released his renaissance Zombies I light bulb went on above my head.

How about a bunch of rogueish Elizabethan mercenaries fighting in the Low Countries.

They have a constant run ins with their arch enemies the dastardly Spanish! (apologies to any spanish readers, the English are just as dastardly, probably more actually!)

But when both hear of a hoard of gold taken by a mysterious wife of a local burgomeister (played by giselle)

and guarded by her smelly, shambling landsknechts. They rush to the scene to make themselves rich. A series of games using the 7th Voyage rules and the fortcoming supplement

That's the plan anyway. It means I can get some my toys on the table and try out the crooked dice rules which I've been itching to play for ages.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Elizabethan Gothic - part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »
Very cool.  :)

Trying to do a similar thing with our SYW stuff.

How are the 7th Voyage rules?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
Oooh!  :)

Please DO share AARs and reflections on, how the rules work for this particular subject!

I recently played my first game of Pike & Shot and Zombies, and although those rules capture the renaissance/zombie feel very well, they are more a miniatures-based semi-RPG than a miniatures skimish game (which is fine, given an ample numbers of players that can get together on a regular basis for some light-hearted zed-bashing), so I would like to find another set more suited for one-on-one skirmished between humans and undead (and humans and humans, for all that matter).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »
Those are some SPLENDID looking miniatures finished in an OUTSTANDING fashion. They would be a pleasure to play with regardless of the game. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Black Cavalier

• Scientist
  • Pro Rege et Regnum
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
OOOOOOO!!!  I've just been looking for witch finder general type rules.  Tell me more about the 7th voyage Witching Hour supplement.  When are they expected to be out?  The Crooked Dice forum seems to be locked down to new members so I can't check there.
Remember, remember, the Dalek December
With Paris in ruins and London in ember
In times of the future when fears are abating
Don’t try to forget them, the Daleks are waiting
Quietly planning and scheming and hating…

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »
Those look really nice :-*, they are coming along more than nicely. I dastardly dare to say so :D!

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »
OOOOOOO!!!  I've just been looking for witch finder general type rules.  Tell me more about the 7th voyage Witching Hour supplement.  When are they expected to be out?  The Crooked Dice forum seems to be locked down to new members so I can't check there.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/7th-voyage-the-witching-hour-pdf/

It's out now and covers all kinds of gothic and fantasy folklore things, so would be perfect for anything inspired by the likes of Witch Finder General, Castlevania, Solomon Kane etc.

Just a few of the new casts types include Witch Hunters, Plague Doctors, Old Crones, Wild Druids, Adventuring Priests, Asylum Inmates, Ghouls, animated Marionettes and more, plus the Headless Horseman and Baba Yaga also make an appearance, plus there's new item cards for equipment like Holy Water and Jack-o-Lanterns.

I'm hoping to dig out my minis and get a game in soon, so I'll be sure to take some snaps and write up a battle report  :)

I've got a thread on my 7th Voyage collection over on the Age of Myths, Gods and Empires board, if you wanna check out that. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63552.0

Offline Nikdo

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
This looks awesome.  I just picked up the PDF for The Witching Hour supplement for 7th Voyage.  I haven't had a chance to play yet but I hear really good things about the system.  On a side note, Otherworld Miniatures has stated that they are preparing to release their Otherworld Skirmish rules which are built on the same 7TV system.  Very exciting times to be a miniature gamer.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:02:29 PM »
Very nice looking project. If you're looking for more figures you might want to check out these fellows:

http://www.hokaheywargaming.co.uk/Border%20Reivers.html

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Love the Elizabethan period - those Foundry figures are great; I bought them for a simialr project but have yet to paint them...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
A lovely themed game and cracking painting. I have these foundry figures together with eureka Portuguese and they are bother great ranges. I use mine for Brazil but think could easily morph them into WOR etc intact mine were originally English fighting in Ireland who are now french colonists .

Donnybrook is also certainly worth considering as I am now looking at using these rules

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »
Great stuff.  8)

During the 80's, there was a "ligne claire" style comic series in these parts (Flanders) that followed some Flemish "Geuzen" in their struggle against the Spanish occupation and featured supernatural elements that would offer some great inspiration. Inspiration was drawn from contemporary artwork from Hieronymus Bossch and Pieter Brueghel and it featured an alchemist, witches,... I don't think they were ever translated to English, but might be worth tracking some down anyway.

More album covers here:
http://www.devergeetachtigevijftiger.nl/degeuzen.html

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
I should really track those down WK, i think I read one or two as a kid at the local library. (in dutch)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
Haha! those are fantastic! They've already given me some ideas for other creations of the mysterious mistress. I've already been thinking about doing a ghostly Knight as well as some ghouls and wolves and other nasties but I like the goat headed beasty, I'll have to do one of them. I've made a start on the zombies and I'll post them up when they are done. I'm waiting on the main rulebook getting here and I splurged a load of money on the new 4ground fantasy houses as well as doing some work on scenery for my table (trees, rivers, bridge that kind of thing). As soon as i"ve got enough figures for a game I'll rope someone into playing and then I'll post up a report on my blog as well as here. I'm fair looking forward to it.

@Hobbit, yeah I've seen those figures, they were the Graven Images range and then got bought by Crann tara who seem to have passed them on again. I haven't bought any yet but when I get round to painting all my foundry figs I'll probably get some.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »
Yes, formerly Graven Images as you say. I bought a fair few when they were first released and they've mostly sat in the "to paint" pile ever since (save a few used for Mordheim). They're quite chunky but I imagine they'd work well with the Foundry chaps. I really must add the Baby Eating Bishop to those I do have  lol