Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated 7 Feb Attack On The Cop Shop Game )  (Read 26816 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated 7 Feb Attack On The Cop Shop Game )
« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2024, 07:43:22 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the figures most certainly have character and their own charm but I couldn't see them mixing with a large existing collection.

As someone who spent some time coaching on SRAAW ranges and having more than one student attempt something life threatening or just plain daft, I can see where you were going with the 66. It doesn't resolve my long standing question.  The odd numpty would fuck up the drill to clear the BBDA by swinging their body around rather than just their head and in the process aiming the rocket at you. Nerves, I get it. My question is why they chose to wait for the live round rather than doing it with the 23mm subcal they had fired earlier in the day? After all, a 23mm hole through the chest or noggin will kill you just as surely as a 66mm one and the fucking thing hasn't even armed at a one or two foot distance. Reserve officer cadets, quite a thing unto themselves. Only the grenade range gave me greater joy. :(

As for the Bren, even the original, British, L4 mag was a fair bit longer/taller. Of course you could bung an SLR mag in the Bren but weren't curved.

Anyway congrats on getting them out there, more options for folk and that's always a good thing.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM »
No worries.
 They're not going to fit with everyone's notions or collection.

I'm pretty sure it's a bit of sprain from the mould that's made that curve. For some reason several of the figures are showing a little warp in their bases. ( Simon will be tweaking them for the production mould.)
I'll try and find the original sculpt pics . But I definitely didn't put that curve in. The whole point of doing the thing with a short mag was to minimise the pressure on the undercut that the long mag would have been under ( as I didn't have a metal one spun so it had to be in clay.)The two prone firing figures have a separate weapon.for a similar reason.
I'll have to wait until I've got some castings from the master mould. But I'm pretty sure it'll either straighten or a quick file will correct that.

I do have some master on the go with '38 webbing as well.  Which I suspect will also end up in sci-fi games.

Definitely take on board what you're saying. If you'd like to keep me honest and give pointers on the bits and bobs I'm not familiar with or have forgotten then drop me a pm. As nothing I'm doing in this range isn't being scrutinized by a group of veterans before heading off for Moulding.
Given it it's not some historical as living memory I'm very mindful of that .

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2024, 09:49:50 PM »
Well, the SA80 had some issues, maybe in your universe they reissued the L1A1 for that deployment.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #303 on: April 22, 2024, 11:11:55 PM »
Well, the SA80 had some issues, maybe in your universe they reissued the L1A1 for that deployment.

Masterly understatement, though to be fair the Lithgow made Steyrs had issues when they first came out. Just not as many.

The SA80 was ahead of the curve as the world's first biodegradable rifle. Just add insect repellent.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:18:46 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2024, 11:28:19 PM »
Very interested in chaps in WW2 era webbing. I have a pet project that would benefit from those. If one of them came with a Carl Gustav SMG you could field a whole other army with them. Some spare helmeted heads with just netting or unadorned bare metal wouldn't go astray either.  ;)

One suggestion. If you want these to work for the entirety of the Cold War or at least the bit featuring SLRs, the 1960s through to mid 1980s, then you might want to consider popping out an M20 Super Bazooka and a Vickers Gun. The M20 soldiered on until replaced by the Carl Gustav in the late sixties and the Vickers didn't go out of service until about 1968.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2024, 05:39:48 PM »
Whenever I get back to painting moderns, I may get the 1st Corps chaps.  We'll see...

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2024, 06:09:24 PM »
Masterly understatement, though to be fair the Lithgow made Steyrs had issues when they first came out. Just not as many.

The SA80 was ahead of the curve as the world's first biodegradable rifle. Just add insect repellent.  ;)
Designed in Enfield, make the staff redundant, and move production to Nottingham where they had not made rifles...
What could go wrong.

Online the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #307 on: Today at 06:34:29 PM »

I do have some master on the go with '38 webbing as well.  Which I suspect will also end up in sci-fi games.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can I ask - would this be British infantry in battle dress style uniform, mark IV helmet with 37 pattern webbing but armed with SLR? (Further apologies if some of the terminology is incorrect!)