Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Steampunk Submarine  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Steampunk Submarine
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I posted this fish tank decoration in March of 2013. I spent a long time thinking about a paint shceme and whether or not to seal up the portholes. Finaly decided to leave the portholes open and to give it a steampunk brass & bronze paint job. Here it is at the Alamo dock. The figs are 25mm from RAFM and Parroom Station. The 3rd pic shows the sub in it's original colours. Its 5 and a half inches long by 4 and a half from periscope to waterline.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Steampunk Submarine
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »
Very nice :)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:43:42 PM »
I spent a long time thinking about a paint shceme

20 months!!!!!  :o

Does look good though!

What percentage of aquarium ornaments are bought for wargames?  :-X
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
20 months is pretty fast for me to get a project done ;). The Ogryn I painted as Mr. Hyde went several decades from purchase to paint. The sub's middle portholes allow for 2 or 3 figs to be placed inside. I considered a bunch of options to seal the portholes, the one I was going to go with was large " googly eyes " sold at craft stores for puppets and such. I've used the tiny ones as rivets on an aereoneff, when moved the model sounds like a maraca.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:57:30 AM »
After seeing submarines made into 'nefs, of course, I thought your submarine would be...  lol

Whatever; is a handsome devil. Most 'aquaria', of course tends to be terrain, but occasionally a vehicle happens.

Thanks!

Doug

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Steampunk Submarine (new sub)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:26:14 AM »
This is the snaptite model of the Nautilus from the 1997 made for tv 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea with Ben Cross as Nemo. The model has  a clear plastic observation panel. The figs are 25/28mm from Foundry. The model is scaled for 15mm but with a little work can be made suitable for larger scales.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
Wise choice leaving the large portholes - somehow makes it look more Victorian.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »
The Ulysses submarine from Atlantis the Lost Empire. In the film the Ulysses was gigantic, as big as an ocean liner. For 28mm Its about 90 feet long. This is not just a sub, like all the toys in this line it has an  electronic component. The ship moves and shakes, the late great James Garner gives orders, all the while projecting an image of the Leviathan attacking. The figures are 25/28mm from Foundry.   

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
This is the snaptite model of the Nautilus from the 1997 made for tv 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea with Ben Cross as Nemo. The model has  a clear plastic observation panel. The figs are 25/28mm from Foundry. The model is scaled for 15mm but with a little work can be made suitable for larger scales.

And that's the one I wish to 'fly' as an armored dig. Of course, it's home is the dense, fetid (never mind that water vapor is lighter-than-air lol ) atmosphere of Venus, patrolling the German holdings.

The Ulysses submarine from Atlantis the Lost Empire. In the film the Ulysses was gigantic, as big as an ocean liner. For 28mm Its about 90 feet long. This is not just a sub, like all the toys in this line it has an  electronic component. The ship moves and shakes, the late great James Garner gives orders, all the while projecting an image of the Leviathan attacking. The figures are 25/28mm from Foundry.   

Again, a sub that went into the air; if one peruses the 'nef sticky, you will find a fair number 'flipped' with deck and wheel house added for psuedo-Aphids, as described in Space 1889.

I LOVE this thread!

Doug