Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Dark Ages Basing Enquiry  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
15mm Dark Ages Basing Enquiry
« on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:44 PM »
Hullo all,

I am about to start a new Dark Age project to playtest some element-based massed battle rules I am working on. I intend to have infantry in two ranks (more or less spread out depending on type) and cavalry in one. Generals are integral to elements as per DBA, DB or Impetus (iirc). There are a few options for how I base my miniatures which I wanted to go through and hopefully get some opinions on:

- 40mm frontage: DBx standard, fits up to 4 infantry or 3 cavalry in a rank (therefore <8 infantry per base). Not very "massed", but very morphable with other games. I have a lot of 40x20mm and 40x30mm bases kicking around.
- 50mm frontage: nothing standard, fits up to 5 infantry or 4 cavalry in a rank (thus <10 infantry per base). Looks a little more imposing on the tabletop, and I have quite a few of these that I can't really use for any other projects, both 50x25 and 50x30 - perfect for differentiating shieldwalls, warbands & skirmishers and having single-ranked cavalry.
- 60mm frontage: DBx standard for 28mm, popular with Hail Caesar, fits up to 6 infantry or 4 cavalry in a rank (therefore <12 infantry per base). Much more massed, but I don't have any of these immediately available except for 60x40mms, which may drown double-ranked models a little. And think of the skirmishers!
- 80mm frontage: Impetus standard, immediately suitable for Hail Caesar, fits up to 8 infantry or 6 cavalry in a rank (therefore <16 infantry per base). I have none of these available, and would have to buy them in.

Currently, since I am massively underemployed at the moment, the main consideration is - cost. This impacts bases not only in having to buy them, but the cost of filling them with miniatures too. At the moment, I am acquiring models solely through swaps - which is much harder to do with bases. Admittedly, I don't plan to completely fill the bases - I want room for raggediness - but still, larger areas take more filling.

Secondly, obviously, is the lovely massed effect of the models on the table, hence 15mm as a midway between 28mm & 10-6mm. Third is the ease of having a large battle on a table no bigger than 6x4, so obviously smaller unit footprint = more space for units on the table.

At the moment, my preferred (compromise) solution is 50mm frontage, but I am aware that will leave me collecting matched armies forever due to a lack of compatibility with other people's armies. In second place, despite the cost, is 80mm. It matches Impetus & Dux Bellorum, there are guides to prettying up this size base all over the internet and I suppose it isn't too huge. Does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks in advance, friendly LAFers!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 15mm Dark Ages Basing Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
40mm or 80mm (which is really just 40mm x2) frontages. I think sticking with the crowd will allow cross-migration.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
I like the idea of 50mm frontage and have toyed with using FoW medium bases
Agree that 40mm probably makes more sense to be compatible with other systems
Using differing depths is a bit of a pain though I'd prefer changing figure density to differentiate between warband and shieldwall

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
Since cost is an issue, have you considered cutting the bases yourself? Heavy card, once glued and gritted, would be passable in durability. Collecting and cutting the plastic from those clamshels that everything seems to be sold in is another option.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
@ von Lucky: I will count that as a vote for 80mm then  :)

@ NTM: Yes, FOW mediums and 50x25mm cavalry bases are what I'm looking to use up. I will also have different figure densities between warband and shieldwall - but it's easier to disperse models on a slightly larger base!

@ frogimus: I hadn't - a shameful dereliction of the DIY spirit on my part! I can get an A1 sheet of mounting board from the Hobbycraft near me that would give me upwards of 168 80mm bases for £5. Given that MDF bases cost about 14p each in that size, £5 seems a LOT cheaper than £23!  ;D

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
Agree that cutting bases is far cheaper and I acquired a variety of boards for that purpose but could never get them consistent in size etc so prefer the ease and precision of pre cut ones despite the cost.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »
Agree that cutting bases is far cheaper and I acquired a variety of boards for that purpose but could never get them consistent in size etc so prefer the ease and precision of pre cut ones despite the cost.

I used to cut my own bases all the time in my teens, and you're right - they were all over the place. So are the walls I cut for buildings now... I think you might have a point  ;D