Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Swashbuckler figures  (Read 4916 times)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Foundry Swashbuckler figures
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
does anyone know of some figures that will fit with Foundry's range of 28mm Elizabethan figures
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Re: Foundry Swashbuckler figures
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:43:52 AM »
I've been using the Gamezone imperials alongside the old citadel estalians (which are admittedly hard to get) but there are also the Eureka portuguese and conquistadors and depending how fussy you are about historical accuracy there are also the foundry conquistadors and artizan lansknechts.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:59:33 AM »
Rougher casting wise and depending on taste, the old glory wars of religion figure fit quite well

Online Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
I wondered how well the Pirazzo's Lost Legion figures would work. I suspected the Pirazzo figures might well be a bit shorter. Does anyone know please?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
They are smaller true 25 almost (if that makes sense) eureka pkrtuguese are closer but more slight in stature and torso

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
The former monolith figures now available through Hoka Hey would be a good fit with the swashbucklers. 
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
How do the Gringo40's 28mm Conquestadors size up? His Maximillians look good next to the Foundry ones.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
You may want to give Eureka's Conquistadors (both Spaniards and Portugeuese) a look.  They have, for example, some very useful light cavalry and mariners - all of which fit very well in scale with Foundry's Swashbucklers - I have many of both firms' and they mix well.   
 http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/conquistadores-28mm-spanish
http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/conquistadores-28mm-portuguese

In addition Sgt. Major's borderers, although not as detailed, work quite well also, particularly to make up "filler" in rear ranks (e.g. pikemen) :
http://www.sgmm.biz/Bloody-Day-28mm-Elizabethans_c_17.html

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »
I think the best are the old Monolith (Graven Images) Border Reiver figures now available through Hoka Hey, as said above.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
The Monolith Border Reivers look wonderful, but aren't they a bit chunkier and well, just bigger, than the Foundry Swashbucklers?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
Yes they are. Quite a bit bigger and bulkier. Nice figures, but very different in style and stature. I mix the Foundry sea dogs with some of the Vendel Border Reivers, a few of the less hideous Old Glory Wars of Religion figures, and a few of the Bicorne ECW figures in Burgonets.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
If you gentlemen allow me to give a little help here is a picture of several miniatures from some manufacturers.

From left to right:
wargames foundry eldorado, eureka miniatures conquistador, Games workshop pirazo´s lost legion, wargames foundry swashbuckler, the assault group conquistador.

Beware though they are all in diferent bases.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »
This size comparison I did might complement that:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
When Warlord Games get around to release them, the Arsenal miniatures range might also be of interest:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
Yes, they are properly gorgeous. Alas, I've been waiting for them to find their way onto the market for at least 3 years since they were first previewed...

Be aware though, knowing (and owning) a lot of figures from all sorts of manufacturers by the talented and prolific Mr Hicks, he tends to sculpt at the small end of 28mm unless he's been instructed otherwise. So if these figures ever eventually become available, I'd guess they may be quite a bit slighter than the Foundry Sea Dogs and Swashbucklers. Would probably be a near perfect match for the TAG figures though...

TAG too, by the way, have mentioned long term plans for late Tudor era figures...