Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Beyond the Gates of Antares" goes from Alpha to Beta Editions...  (Read 2484 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
...and is now on the download without having to sign up on the forum.

"Beyond the Gates of Antares" Beta Edition

As I've said elsewhere:
"Just wanted to point out for access to the playtester Alpha edition, while only available through signon to Warlord Games forum, the bar was pretty low.

I said, upfront, I thought I wouldn't be able to do playtesting, and Mr. Priestly and the gang said no problem, have a look.

I DO know there were a fair number helping in the playtesting, true to my word, I couldn't, and wish to express my deep gratitude to Rick, the lads of Warlord Games, and those mostly unnamed stalwarts who got it this far.

Success to all in the future!"

Doug

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: "Beyond the Gates of Antares" goes from Alpha to Beta Editions...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
Thanks Doug, I've downloaded it and I'll have a read with my cuppa this evening!  Always on the lookout for a decent platoon+support level SF game.

There are a number of elements I recognise from Bolt Action like the orders dice and drawing them from the bag.  How have you found the game so far?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
As admitted, barely gave it a read. It's Bolt Action family ties has been admitted elsewhere, I believe, but I come to the game without that experience.

Alas, leafing through the booklet and the occasional post to LAF from work is getting to be the only time I have for the game at the moment. Those who know the phrase 'care giver' understand.

I do remember being intrigued by the Alpha version, tried to set up some figs to walk through the examples, not much more.

This could stand a 'printer friendly' version. The PDF is stunning looking, but daunting for those of us who need it on paper.  ;)

Doug

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
I played a game of Antares at the weekend and it is very much Bolt Action with bells and whistles. The system possibly suits scifi more than WW2 anyhow. Didn't try out the drones yet. We had lots of cover on the board so manoeuvre was key. Fun game.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
This could stand a 'printer friendly' version. The PDF is stunning looking, but daunting for those of us who need it on paper
Indeedy. There are two possible options for making beta rules look like bona fide rule books (these folks aren't the only ones doing it by any means):
(1) companies don't want sourpuss reviews saying their rules look like crap from folks who just don't (want?) to get it's the freakin' beta rules OR
(2) they just aren't handy with text processing software and must do everything "in place".

Anyhow this is specifically the reason why I haven't read the rules yet tho I downloaded them a few days ago.