Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.  (Read 59097 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2019, 12:01:16 AM »
Dark glossy shell is a good choice - nicely done.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2019, 08:02:05 AM »
Dark glossy shell is a good choice - nicely done.

Cheers! I can't wait to unleash it on something...

Now, onto a thing that took me way more time than I thought and has severely compromised my chances of finishing my grey mountain before moab this year.

This thing took weeks to build and finish and consists of the following items:

1 x space marine rhino
1 x russian tank killer
2 x ork dreadnought bitz
1 x soldier from a Christmas cracker
1 x 4ground stove
2 x 4ground short trestle table and benches
5 x wooden blocks
1 x empire hammer
2 x ogre bitz
1 x pile of cardboard
1 x square of MDF
Several blobs of green stuff

And a partridge in a pear tree. The smaller benches can be removed to allow for more precise manuvering, or to make some emergency barricades. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but dang, it took a while.

Say hello to New Silverton's newest (and probably only) family-friendly diner: Gibz!

Established and still operated by its founder, Jean Gibson, Gibz takes the freshest gibs of meat and cooks them up into three unique meals: red gibz, blue gibz and purple gibz, which cost a bit more but have a unique texture that can't be found anywhere else, or so some say.

Despite the popularity of violent conflict resolution, Gibz is seen as something of a neutral ground, where everyone downs their weapons and tucks into some grub(s).

After all, there's nothing much more horrifying than Jean's disappointed glare.

I've pretty much run out of backstory on this thing, so enjoy some more pictures.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Finally, the real purpose for those strange GW models!  lol
Great job!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
Finally, the real purpose for those strange GW models!  lol
Great job!

Cheers! Honestly, it's thanks to Constable Bertrand that this thing even got off the ground. I told him I wanted to make a diner with a tank and he happened to find the spehss mhren tank I needed. Also, I seem to have forgotten to upload a picture, so enjoy this:

Also missing from the above post was a rough inventory list, which reads as follows:

2 x 4ground short trestle tables and benches
2 x ork dreadnaught bitz
2 x ogor bitz
2 x pieces of plastic
1 x empire hammer
1 x GW rhino tank
1 x pile of cardboard (corrugated and flat)
1 x 4ground stove
1 x russian tank hunter
1 x army man from a Christmas cracker
1 x GW wing (it was from a sprue, but I can't remember what kind it was)
Enough green stuff and glue to sink a ship
Nearly all of my paddle pop sticks
1 x partridge in a pear tree

I think that's about it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The benches in the front are removable in case we need to move around them or construct some makeshift barricades.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
You know, I would have been skeptical of a Tyranid making a good wasteland mutant, but I think that must mostly have to do with the typical purple paintschemes they get.  Your's totally sells it!  Nice work.  :)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2019, 06:53:28 AM »
You know, I would have been skeptical of a Tyranid making a good wasteland mutant, but I think that must mostly have to do with the typical purple paintschemes they get.  Your's totally sells it!  Nice work.  :)

Cheers! I think my bodgy green stuff covering two of its arm holes helps the mutated status, but if post apocalyptic movies and games have taught me anything, it's that brown makes everything better.

That and having a dog. Having a dog helps too.

Well, it's not a dog in the traditional sense, but a good ruined mech is a welcome sign for scavvers, bandits and just about anyone looking to block some bullets.

Some parts of the wreck were damaged or hidden from the sands for longer, causing unusual colouration and rust distribution.

Not much to say here, just don't look too hard at the decal.

This part might come in...handy.

The model is the warmachine Khador...I want to say it's the medium wreck, but I'm not sure. I know it's not the large one at least. Overall, it was a fun mini to paint, but it doesn't fit super well in the base...that or I just glued it in wrong, which is a distinct possibility.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2019, 06:10:10 AM »

Looks like there's a not-so wrecked machine trundling down the wastes.

It's so big, it can't even fit on my usual background!

It's got a tow-hook and enough storage space for all the lads, if you don't mind the slightly garish paint job.

The gun's said to be so big, it can carve a canyon...ero.

The dashboard's a bit fuzzy in this shot, but it came out really well.

I honestly don't know what I did to deserve such a good shot of the bottom, but there it is.

Now, there's only one question remaining: who's a bad enough dude to ride in this truck?

These guys, of course!

The model is the easy to build battlewagon. I picked it up from a game store not far from where I work. The other orks that came with the truck were a bigger scale, which I didn't realize until I put them together. I've bagged 'em up for moab this year, so maybe someone will enjoy them. If not, well that's their problem.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2019, 06:48:30 AM »
Hell, yeah! Long live the Goff Rockers! \m/ \m/

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Hell, yeah! Long live the Goff Rockers! \m/ \m/

\m/ Indeed! Such characterful minis need a sweet ride!

Of course, the postapocalypse isn't a sweet ride for everyone, like Dennis here.

After battling depression, Dennis was finally starting to turn his life around. He got a job as one of the mascots for the local greengrocer, he had some savings and he'd even asked out the girl in the strawberry outfit.

Then, the bombs dropped.

After seeing his whole world fall to pieces, it was enough for anyone to go a little...bananas.

This is Scrapyard. Born a few generations after the bombs, he didn't have much in life, other than a unique ability to find good scrap. If nothing else, it gave him the caps he needed to eat another day with his mum.

Inspired by her own efforts for a peaceful life and a few comics he'd been able to find, Scrapyard managed to build a mostly-functioning powersuit that gave him a bit of staying power when the raiders came to call.

His mum, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

Joining up with The Artful Dodgers, Scrapyard put his skills (and his suit) to use, protecting the wastelanders who couldn't protect themselves.

The miniatures here are Gavin and Iron Kev from Hasslefree miniatures. My attempts on the faces are probably a bit meh, but they're good enough for me.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2019, 03:26:23 AM »

Here we have Molly, aka Princess. She's small, but she packs a punch!

Molly was found by the other dodgers during a scav run. She didn't talk much about where she'd been living, but her ability to crush robots with little more than a bin lid and a baseball bat was more than welcomed.

Molly doesn't care who you are. Mutant? Cyborg? Scavver? Doesn't matter, you'll meet her bat if you cross her.

The model is hasslefree's Katie. It was super fun to paint and I'm really happy with how the lid turned out.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2019, 04:15:30 AM »

Another one of my online friend's characters. This is Dustin 'Dusty' Travers, the little brother of Jack. She's a few pages back, if you wanted to see her.

Dusty and Jack used to live together with their dad, but when he disappeared, the pair set off on their own. Due to circumstances beyond their control, they were separated.

While Jack eventually saw the good in the world and the need to look after others, Dusty feel in with a gang and became addicted to Jet. He never forgave her for 'running off,' but Jack's intent on making up for the past if he likes it or not.

Nowadays, Dusty's trying to live clean. He's broken off all ties with his old gang (which involved breaking a kneecap or two) but the temptation of one last hit of jet is always hanging over his head...

The model is hasslefree miniatures' Peter. Here's Dusty alongside another one I painted not long after my return to the hobby. While I think there's a bit of improvement in my painting, the same probably can't be said for my photography!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »

Here we have my attempt at evening the arms race between Constable Bertrand and myself: Stargazer, the singing sniper.

You might think that singing would be a poor match for a job where not being spotted is a prerequisite, but she's also wearing yellow and blue, so perhaps she likes getting noticed?

Despite her bright clothing, Stargazer is a good shot with plenty of achievements to her name.

The miniature is Hasslefree's Wierd West Boudi. It's a bit on the thin side, but it was a fun job for painting.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2019, 03:18:56 AM »

Just a quick update today. I picked up some tree guards from Knights of Dice at moab this year. They were a bit fiddly to construct, but that might have been my inexperience with scenery in general.

I might have been able to do better, but I reckon they came out okay.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2019, 06:14:36 AM »
They look good. Will you add a twig in the middle of each one or just leave as is?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
Or should that be 'leaf' it?

i would go for the twig option, break them off at about 35mm (ish) & blacken the tops.
Gives you a bit more cover & re-enforces the Post Apocalypse vibe.