Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.  (Read 59087 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Shooty, shooty, pew pew: Adventures in the wastes.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
Really nice selection for the second band. Really give that rag-tag feel.
Loving it! Can't wait to see more!  :D

Ask and ye shall receive, friend! There's a lot of pictures here, but there's even more story behind this gang...

Back in the day, I played an MMO called City of Heroes. When it closed down for no reason, I was pretty shocked. How could I keep the memories alive from the supergroup that I joined? Why, make teeny tiny versions of every member I could! The Artful Dodgers were a fantastic bunch of friends and there's no way that I can REALLY replicate each character that we had, but that won't stop me from trying.

So without further ado (and if photobukkit has finished uploading) I present to you...The Desert Dodgers!

Operating out of the basement of a textiles factory, this rag-tag bunch of street rats scav to get by and help others like them.

Jack Travers is the leader of the gang. Having a rough upbringing herself gave her a skewed view of the world, until she had a chance meeting with Tom 'Juvie' Cooper, who showed her another way. After parting ways with him, she wasn't entirely sure how to make the most of what she had learnt, until she found the factory. Since then, she and her trusty six-shooters have sought out injustice and tried to make things better.

Zerk's parents were killed by ghouls. Any time he sees them, this usually well-mannered young man goes into a berserk rage and will not stop until any ghoul in the vicinity stops moving. Jack saved him from being a Zerk sandwich at the last possible moment and he has never forgotten that kindness. Rumor has it that he has a bit of a crush on her.

Grace Callows was the sole survivor of a bandit raid in her town. Jack only showed up to pick through the remains, but gained a little sister in the process. Grace insists that she has a sister who she hasn't seen in years, but has no idea where to look for her. Good luck, Gracie!

Mental Mick, A.K.A. The Duct Tape Wizard was found wondering an old asylum, muttering to himself and repairing the security systems with duct tape. Some of them even worked! Jack immediately recognized the hidden talent within and recruited him on the spot. That backpack? Full of duct tape. He can survive just about any situation with that stuff.

Nobody's sure who or what Whip actually is (or why it was so hard to take a photo of him) but if the rumors are true, his parents were about as close to heroes as the wastelands could hope for. When he saw them die, he ran and didn't stop, slowly mutating and losing the ability to talk. He's an expert and sneaking and stealing, both excellent attributes to be had in a group of scavvers (if you know who it's okay to steal from) Also yes, that is a tail.

81G-R154H413, or 'Big Richie' was an old robot that Jack found in one of the back corners of the basement. She managed to reactivate him, but it wasn't until Mick joined that he was able to walk again. Since then, he has served as a guard dog of sorts, almost constantly patrolling the grounds unless there's scavvin' to do.

All the models were from Malifaux, except for Whip. He's from Bushido.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:45:31 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
 :-* well done Pete.

Cracking figures there and the stories are so cool. I have nothing near that for my figures.

Man Big Richie came up well. What a machine you have there. 8) 8) 8) zerk is pretty cool too,  ooh ooh and Ductape Mic sounds like a roll of laughs.

You have 3 awesome bands of 'trouble' makers.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »
This is astounding!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »
:-* well done Pete.

Cracking figures there and the stories are so cool. I have nothing near that for my figures.

Man Big Richie came up well. What a machine you have there. 8) 8) 8) zerk is pretty cool too,  ooh ooh and Ductape Mic sounds like a roll of laughs.

You have 3 awesome bands of 'trouble' makers.

Cheers
Matt.

Cheers, Bero! It took me forever to get his colour right, which was probably a good thing. Gave me more time to unite their stories.

This is astounding!

Cheers! Which parts in particular are outstanding to you?

Offline Silverarm

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:05:54 AM »
Quite a nice bunch of characters!
Really cool! A nice depth of personality to them too. =3
Nice work!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »
Cheers, Bero! It took me forever to get his colour right, which was probably a good thing. Gave me more time to unite their stories.

Cheers! Which parts in particular are outstanding to you?
Your ability to bring forth some of the wildly divergent personality found in a long running RPG character group into a cohesive wargames unit.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
Looking on the computer I just noticed that Jack has some heart embroidery on her trouser cuffs and hat band. You might be able to pick that out in gold or white. ;)

Nothing like blowing up the miniature 300% to find extra bits you hadn't properly observed before hahahaha

cheers
Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »
Quite a nice bunch of characters!
Really cool! A nice depth of personality to them too. =3
Nice work!

Cheers! It takes me a while to paint, so I have plenty of time to work out who these tiny people are and what they're fighting for.

Your ability to bring forth some of the wildly divergent personality found in a long running RPG character group into a cohesive wargames unit.

Well I did have to tweak most of them slightly to fit into the unit, but thanks nonetheless!

Looking on the computer I just noticed that Jack has some heart embroidery on her trouser cuffs and hat band. You might be able to pick that out in gold or white. ;)

Nothing like blowing up the miniature 300% to find extra bits you hadn't properly observed before hahahaha

cheers
Matt

I'll get on that after I finish painting three monkeys, a dwarf and a knight...or maybe during.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
I return! What gifts do I bring for you this time?

Monkeys! I don't know what posessed me to paint them, but since they came with this guy http://tinyurl.com/mqwo6uq, I couldn't just leave them.

The first one's a standard monkey. Brown fur, pink face, very tiny eyes.

I originally planned to have this one sitting on top of a pile of rocks with a small waterfall, but I nearly went mad trying to stack the rocks up, so I gave up. That's not to say I won't try later. I really like how his base turned out. It was just green stuff and an old toothbrush to make that effect.

Finally, we have robomonkey. Why? Because there's always robots in the future. Also, that piece of green is definately a plant grimly holding onto life in a harsh environment and not a piece of green stuff that I somehow missed until now. Yep, totally meant to be there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:46:28 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
Sweet mother of... monkeys! Everyone loves monkeys and these are mighty fine.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:45 AM »
Monkeys are mad! 8) 8) 8) robot monkey is mad, perhaps after eating a certain fruit they turn metal. Like metal Mario? The toothbrush GS is a interesting idea it works quite well.

I'm sure these cheeky devils will be the end of many a band of scavengers.

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Silverarm

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:08 AM »
You will always have uses for monkeys. Especially cyber-monkeys!  :D
Also really like the look of these monkeys.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
Sweet mother of... monkeys! Everyone loves monkeys and these are mighty fine.

Cheers! It's just a bit of drybrushing over a basecoat, honestly.

Monkeys are mad! 8) 8) 8) robot monkey is mad, perhaps after eating a certain fruit they turn metal. Like metal Mario? The toothbrush GS is a interesting idea it works quite well.

I'm sure these cheeky devils will be the end of many a band of scavengers.

Cheers
Matt.

Given our luck with malfunctioning weaponry, lack of ammo and killer craters, I'm certain of that!

You will always have uses for monkeys. Especially cyber-monkeys!  :D
Also really like the look of these monkeys.

Cheers! Yes, there's always a use for monkeys.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 08:11:10 AM »

What have we here? A watchtower!

I tried to keep the graffiti/"outsider art" fairly generic so that even fantasy fellas like this knight can get in on the fun.

Also dinosaur people.

Some of the ice cream stick posts ended up a little tall, but there's plenty of spots to peek through. Makes it easy to hide from incoming fire, too.

That ladder was an absolute pain to paint. In hindsight, I probably could have have left it off until the painting was done.

And here's a skull because why not.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:47:39 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »
A single skull, do you jest Pete? ;) More skulls :D !

Looks really good, you have taken some very nice photo too to do it justice!  :-*  :-*
A very useful terrain piece sir.

Cheers
Matt