Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Late Imperial Romans (March 2018: Alan Horseman)  (Read 9726 times)

Offline Kelgtar

• Bookworm
Re: Curis' Late Imperial Romans (Feb 2018: Comitantenses Contubernium)
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
Man this painting .. it is out of this world  :o :o :o :o

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Re: Curis' Late Imperial Romans (Feb 2018: Comitantenses Contubernium)
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 12:18:45 PM »
It'll be a proper army one day, chema, without the inverted commas.  I always wonder how big a figure collection needs to be before it legitimately counts as an army. Maybe 100 miniatures.  Maybe 1000 points in WAB.  I'll get there.  Very slowly.

As names for ranges go, “Blandford Warriors” is a little … underwhelming.  Rather than conjuring up images of medieval warlords on their bloodthirsty rampages it puts me instantly in mind of the sleepy Dorset village – Blandford.  Blandford’s top tourist attraction is a museum with a diorama of the 1731 Great Fire of Blandford.  Blandford is a bland name.  A dull name.  A boring name.  This feeling of deep ennui also manifests in the pose of the second miniature I’ve painted – Alan Horseman.

“This spear has a point.  Unlike my life.  Sigh”

Even the name, Alan Horseman, oozes boredom.  It’s one of those historical terms, like “Norman Shields”, that doubles as the personal name of a twenty-first century dullard.  I imagine it painted on the side of a white van – “Alan Horseman Electrical Contractor”.  Of course, the Alans were a tribe of fierce warrior horsemen instrumental in the defeat of Atilla the Hun.  Here’s the Angus McBride colour plate from Medieval Warlords of this Alan getting around on his horse and not a Ford Transit

Alan Horseman of Orleans, on the orders of Aetius, clashes with bacudae on an estate in eastern Brittany, 440s.  Sigh.

Coincidentally the colours Angus chose and I copied match my Late Roman Comitatenses – so I can roll Alan in to that collection.  Late Imperial Roman armies relied heavily on barbarian troops (foederati) such as the Alans as their military manpower dwindled in the 4th and 5th centuries.  Flavius Aetius let the Alans, originally from North Caucasus, settle in parts of Ancient France in return for providing fighters.  It was a clever policy for Rome as it motivated the tribe to fight not out of abstract loyalty to Rome, but in defence of their newly-acquired land and accompanying wealth.

Late Imperial Romans forming a shield wall in the ruins of the partially demolished Epiacum.  Sigh.

The walls in the above shot are from the excellent Fogou Models, more focus on them in a future blog post!

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: Curis' Late Imperial Romans (March 2018: Alan Horseman)
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »
Stunning work once again! And honestly, who cares how long it takes? It‘s the journey that matters and I do enjoy following your journey immensely.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Curis' Late Imperial Romans (March 2018: Alan Horseman)
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
Lovely! My Crusader figures look nice but your brushwork make mine look like second rate.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/