Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690404
  • Total Topics: 118329
  • Online Today: 611
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New CAV model in Bones Plastic  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
New CAV model in Bones Plastic
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
Someone had requested on the Kickstarter that I post some pics of the new CAV models when I received them.  Here's the first:

My overall impression is that they are okay, certainly useable for gaming.  There is a slight softness to the detail in places-- a hard styrene model would probably be sharper.  You can also see "swirls" in a few places where the mold didn't fill in completely.  Several models with long gun barrels will need straightening with the hot water trick.

However, the metal CAV models that I own also have some casting issues of their own (and are significantly more expensive). At the price, I'm satisfied.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
Re: New CAV model in Bones Plastic
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
Some pics of a different model:

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks for posting these.
The few other pics I've seen align with your observations.

I'm not sure I trust long skinny barrels from bones to ever completely straiten out, however the figs do look pretty good, so I'll probably pick up a few sight-seen from my FLGS when they arrive.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm not sure I trust long skinny barrels from bones to ever completely straiten out, however the figs do look pretty good, so I'll probably pick up a few sight-seen from my FLGS when they arrive.
Yes, the gun barrels issue could make or break certain models. I'll be experimenting with straightening them in the next few weeks. I suppose replacement with brass rods, etc. is an option, but soemthing I really don't want to have to do.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:58:18 PM by Cosmotiger »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Even with the barrel issue, between these, the robotech kickstarter and the older em4 plastics there is no a nice selection of affordable plastic mechs going round. So even if some of these have unusable barrels you can simply swap in some arms from the others. :)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
Yeah, many of the Robotech kit parts have extra weapons/guns/pods etc.  The new Heavy Gear will be plastic as well (and I think nearly the same scale).  It's a darn good time to be a mech-head.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see with the Bones material --- figures sculpted with the intent of using this material.  I don't think Bones translates a lot of sculpts very well.  I think perhaps specifically sculpting something with the Bones material in mind would yield a better result (smarter design etc.).  How many of the CAV are new designs vs. old metal ones transferred over to Bones material?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »
How many of the CAV are new designs vs. old metal ones transferred over to Bones material?
Nearly all were originally metal models.  My memory is fuzzy, but I think there was one new model created for the Kickstarter.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
Even with the barrel issue, between these, the robotech kickstarter and the older em4 plastics there is no a nice selection of affordable plastic mechs going round. So even if some of these have unusable barrels you can simply swap in some arms from the others. :)

That's a possibility.  I'm probably just going to wait til I see them in the FLGS and look for one with unbent arms or just get a diffent model. There's certainly going to be alot of them available next year.

Coincidentally I just picked up a batch of CAV's from a buddy. I'd never seen them in-person before.  Very nice figs that will look great alongside my rebased mechwarrior clix figs.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:34:06 AM »
I'm one who just doesn't care for the Bones material... no glee in exchanging lower price for cheap bendy figures. I'd rather buy fewer better figures.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
^That's all well and good if you have a business model which supports that.  However, CAV has been dying a slow and painful death for a long time.  This is probably the only way CAV will continue on without being ditched.

In some cases, companies like Otherworld can support themselves because their products are very good and yes, pricey.  CAV never cornered any kind of market on beautifully sculpted mecha figurines.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 02:02:11 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday, very happy with the models although not the £21 customs charge! I thought they were being shipped via somewhere in the EU... Oh well.

I'm happy with the miniatures themselves, though the hex bases are just completely pointless in some cases as has been said before.

I can't help thinking with the bones plastic that it might have been a golden opportunity to produce some sort of boxed starter game as the Kickstarter, to get people into the setting. At the minute I've got some lovely mechs but no idea how to paint them or what to really do with them. I'm thinking of leaving the parts detachable so bits can be 'destroyed' in game, but I don't know how the paint will hold out.