Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:04:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Armies (Pandours added today)  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
SYW Armies (Pandours added today)
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
I have started listing units of my SYW Russian army...hope you like them, and as I moved to a blogger format, I hope this will make me post more often.

Cheers!

www.leuthenjournal.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:22:22 PM by Ioannis »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: SYW Armies
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
Very nice figures, as usual. What is your SYW Russian OOB? Do you have a list?

James

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
My OOB is here: http://leuthenjournal.blogspot.gr/p/russian-army.html

It is based on what I wanted to paint, actually, and the availability of figures that inspire me!

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
That's a nice force. Do you have plans to expand it?

I've just about finished my own Russians now. I just have three more cavalry units to paint - one each of Horse Grenadiers, Dragoons and Cuirassier (which have been in the pile since I finished painting the stuff up for Zorndorf). I also have four units of Prussian infantry to paint (including 3rd Btn of the guard - funny how I've managed saved 'the best' until last!) and two units more of Cuirassier to buy & paint to finish them too. However, at present I'm in the process rebuilding my Austrians and hope to get an army on the table soon. I plan to get all three armies 'finished' for the Spring when I plan, as I think you know, to get a three way imagi-nation campaign  going. Sometimes, I despair at the work involved in getting things from the drawing board to the table.

Best Regards,

James

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »
You bet...Crusader is launching their horse grenadiers (with command) any day (I hope) now, so a unit of these will be added to my right cavalry wing (Horse Grenadier-Dragoons-Hussars). As for the left wing, I plan on  using Minden, when they are released - no rush, I am a slow painter!

As for infantry, yes, one more brigade of 3 battalions of infantry using Minden, and perhaps I will replace the current 'red grenadiers' with some Crusader grenadiers in green coats.

Artillery, some more Front Rank canonisers and fusiliers are in the metal mountain, plenty of guns (Perry and Foundry), but I will be waiting for Minden to see their wares before I paint anything further.

Ah, and I have Pandours...I will post them tomorrow!

As it happens, I had a much larger Russian army, but I sold most of it a few years ago. Now, I am rebuilding it again. It is my third attempt. My very first army was a Front Rank SYW Russian army...back in 2004 - long sold in its entirety now!

I see your armies are Front Rank and Foundry - both excellent figures! The crusader figures will match these perfectly and their horses are seriously 'heavy'. I would have gone for their Cuirassiers, but I prefer horse grenadiers for my Russians; being rather unique in the SYW era with their metal mitres!

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
I have just added one more unit; an artillery caisson.

http://leuthenjournal.blogspot.gr/2014/11/russian-artillery-caisson.html

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
Yes, my collection is FR and WF.

I really like the Crusader figures but, except as one unit I painted as Bavarians (sold), I've only ever painted them for clients.

Obviously, I think I have enough (possibly too many) Russians now, so I will not be adding more. Nor, except for two units of Prussian cuirassier (to 'historically' balance my OOB) will I be adding more to the Prussians for more or less the same reasons. The Austrians are a different kettle of fish. Although my collection is all Front Rank at the moment, I may well add some units of Crusader Austrian infantry and cavalry. It is still some way (about a dozen more units) off 'purchase' completion.

I think SYW armies are the best looking armies you can have for the painting work involved (they are simpler to paint than some H&M armies but just as colourful) especially when there are lots of them. I know this from having painted the forces for Zorndorf last year:

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
That's A LOT of miniatures painted!!!

Did you use Vallejo's Dark Prussian and Prussian Blues for your, well, Prussians? It looks like it, with a third added for highlights...Nice reds, too!

Crusader Austrians are the beefiest of the range, followed by the Prussians. The new 'era' Crusader figures (Russians-British-French) are smaller than the older figures - in smaller I mean more slender. I hope the new Russian cavalry will fit nicely with the Eureka-Perry figures I have!

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
All painted in Humbrol enamels, even the flags. Undercoat (black), base dark colour, bulk colour / first highlight, highlight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:29:49 PM by olicana »

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
I am mightily impressed!!!

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
what rules will the Gentlemen use?

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Here's a quick countdown: Age of Reason, Koenig Krieg, Shako, Napoleonic Wargaming (N.Thomas)

Also, I have developed my own set, Standing Like a Wall v2, and I am now working on a new set of rules.

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
As promised, I added some Pandours today...

http://leuthenjournal.blogspot.gr/2014/11/russian-pandours.html

Hope you like them...

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Re: SYW Armies (Pandours added today)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »
nice work!  :o

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
Re: SYW Armies (Pandours added today)