Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread [Painted mercs - 27/01/15)  (Read 11703 times)

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
Re: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:40:13 PM »
I'm being pedantic but you have 12 billmen, not pikemen.
Nice work and carry on.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:09:02 AM »
I know. I realised that after I posted, but forgot to come back and update the original post :/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
How did you get them off their integral plastic bases so neatly? They look great on the round bases and also in the sabots/movement trays too.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
How did you get them off their integral plastic bases so neatly? They look great on the round bases and also in the sabots/movement trays too.

Thanks. A bit of basic knife work with a sharp blade is all that's needed. Trimming the feet down to they are level is the trickier part. The easy way to fix this is with a sheet of sandpaper

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
I had a rather nasty varnish error last week, which has set me back quite a way with the painting. For some reason the varnish misted up only on the metallics... I've seen it mist up all over before, but never only on some paint types. Anyway... here's one that survived the nightmare

The Woodville green looks really bright, but I'm assured it would have been possible to dye fabrics this intense at that time.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:47 AM »
I can finally post my finished units here as they have been shown on the painting challenge blog now *phew*

Each figure is based on small 20mm circles that fit into movement trays, just in case I ever decide to go up a level to Hail Caesar (or something else).

The force is painted up in the bright green livery of Richard Woodville, first Lord Rivers and step-father to Edward IV. He started off on the Lancastrian side and eventually changed his mind when things started looking... bad. He married off his daughter off to Edward and eventually rose to the rank of Constable of England, before being executed by Warwick in 1469. The main livery marking is a magpie.

First up we have 11 archers, with their officer/leader/whatever. I know he isn't needed, but I just like the feel of having someone in command of each unit. You can probably just about make out that the archers have hand painted livery icons on front and back. These were supposed to be some really nice transfers, but some problems with their size, along with a problem with the colours not staying on, meant it ended up being a lot easier to just paint them instead. They aren't all the same by any means, but I like the slightly scrappy look. It's almost as if each archer had to make his own as the Woodvilles were a bit too cheap to spring for a big batch to be made. 

11 bills, with their officer. Again, some of these have the magpie icons on their uniforms. You can see the officer has the magpie on his leg, just to tie him into the unit a bit.

12 unmounted Men at Arms, with one extra standard. As these are all based individually, the standard can be used in this unit, or as part of a command stand for larger games. The banner is a piece of brass cut into shape by CitadelSix, which allows for very stiff, dynamic banners. To make sure that the banner didn't snap the plastic pole, I had to drill that out and replace it with a brass spear, which looks much much better. One day I may get around to making standards for all the other units as well, but for now...

The banner was supposed to be one of the CitadelSix transfers. Unfortunately there appears to have been a problem with the sheet I got, so the green started flaking off the transfer before it had even reached the model. As I needed to get these finished for the painting challenge, I hand painted the magpie while a new set of transfers is sent out from the nice people at CitadelSix.

Finally we have a unit of six mounted Men at Arms. The model that was originally entered into the Mounted challenge was dismantled a bit after that photo shoot as I realised I'd put the wrong rider on the horse! For the challenge, this only counts as 5 mounted troops though. The banner and pole in this unit are also brass, from the same supplier. Thankfully in this case, the transfers went on without too much distortion. There was a bit of touching up around the edges where you see the white and green checks. Sadly in the photos you can see a few bits where the green paint doesn't quite match up with the green transfer.

Here's a couple of group shots to show the whole force together.

Looking at the photos, I really need to iron the cloth!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread [big update - 09/01/15)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
Nice set of miniatures.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »
I finally got around to putting paint to the mercenary crossbows, which rounds out the first of my two Lion Rampant forces... for now. These were supposed to be Burgandian mercs, but in the end I decided not to make them anyone specific. All of these use the same body and head in order to create a uniform appearance, but had some of the legs cut off and replaced with those from the other Perry sets for some variation. The bare head is taken from the Warlord commando sprue, which sizes up very well. If you're looking for a lot more variation in your WotR figures, you can't go wrong with these.

Looking a bit more closely at these photos, I need to go back and redo the faces... it looks like I forgot to do anything to them!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:06:35 AM by EndTransmission »

Offline Mac Finn

• Librarian
Re: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread [Painted mercs - 27/01/15)
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:15 AM »
Very Nice work!!

Keep them coming.
Mac
Remain Vigilant
Terry Mac

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »
great work on the Woodvilles, Im gonna do the same family. Were the CitadelSix transfers to big for the figures or was it something else? (only reason I ask is Im also looking at using them)
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
One thing to be aware of with the CitadelSix transfers are one large white rectangle with all the designs on, so you need to carefully score around each of the symbols... which when you consider the livery icons are so tiny, can be tricky. After having spent too many years with Airfix transfers that are all separate, it was a bit of a surprise.

I'd say the banners are well worth it, but the livery ones I'm still on the fence about.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Great idea to use the same body and head to give the mercenaries a more uniform appearance. I must try something similar  :)
(Think I'd probably use one of the enclosed helemts though, because then you wouldn't see they've all got the same face and haircut as well).
Excellent conversion work on the leg swaps as well. You'd never know.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
(Think I'd probably use one of the enclosed helemts though, because then you wouldn't see they've all got the same face and haircut as well).

I did think about that, but I liked the helmet and thought it would be funny if they looked a bit like clones, forced to have the same haircut ;)

I need to go back and redo the faces though, so some will get stubble and different colour hair to try and make it a bit less uniform in appearance. If I do any more, I'll probably take some warlord/bolt action bare heads and stick that helmet onto them, or gs some mustaches/beards

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
If I do any more, I'll probably take some warlord/bolt action bare heads and stick that helmet onto them, or gs some mustaches/beards

That's a good plan.
 :)